Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

solicitor refusing to act on my behalf

Options
  • 08-03-2010 2:37pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 13

3 years ago I approached a firm of solicitors A to act for me in relation to a issue I had with another solicitor B who acted for me in a property purchase.
    At the time Solicitor A had no issue and having reviewed the facts as I gave to him inidcated that we did have a case and proceeded to get a barister to review and revert back.

Now almost 3 years later he has sent a letter with copies of barrister's reports indicating that because a new partner in his firm is firendly with Solicitor B he cannot represent me but he can recommend someone who will take over the case. The barristers findings indicated that we have a strong case.

He has sent me a bill of 4500 for barristers.

I want to know what are my rights in regard to this as I feel like telling him that I hired him and no one else and if he wants me to pay the fees he needs to represent me in court and get the matter settled.

The excuse for the long delay was that he was waiting for barristers to get back to him.

Please help

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,876 ✭✭✭pirelli

3 years ago I approached a firm of solicitors A to act for me in relation to a issue I had with another solicitor B who acted for me in a property purchase.
    At the time Solicitor A had no issue and having reviewed the facts as I gave to him inidcated that we did have a case and proceeded to get a barister to review and revert back.

Now almost 3 years later he has sent a letter with copies of barrister's reports indicating that because a new partner in his firm is firendly with Solicitor B he cannot represent me but he can recommend someone who will take over the case. The barristers findings indicated that we have a strong case.

He has sent me a bill of 4500 for barristers.

I want to know what are my rights in regard to this as I feel like telling him that I hired him and no one else and if he wants me to pay the fees he needs to represent me in court and get the matter settled.

The excuse for the long delay was that he was waiting for barristers to get back to him.

Please help

I would contact the law society. As for 4500 did he give you an outlay of costs beforehand.The law society might advise you to have the tax master look at the invoice.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,374 ✭✭✭InReality

purely as lay person it sounds like the 4500 are just barristers fees ?
    so your not paying the solicitor any money at all ..

so in that case what the problem "going forward" with a new solicitor ?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,950 ✭✭✭Milk & Honey

You cannot force a solicitor to continue acting for you in a situation where proceedings have not been issued and where you would not be prejudiced by changing solicitors.
    You should not deal with a solicitor recommended by your current one.
    Three years is far too long to wait for a barrister to revert.
    You should complain to the Law Society about your solicitor and get yourself a new solicitor.

Advertisement