Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

XBMC and Gamepass

• 23-10-2014 5:35pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,052 ✭✭✭

Not sure if this is too obscure to post, but it's been such a boon to me I thought I'd share.

There is a new plugin for XBMC for NFL Gamepass. This allows you to access all the features, live NFL Network, archived games and documentaries through XBMC.

You do need valid Gamepass credentials, but I've gone from dipping into it every now and again to having it on the TV nearly every time I sit down alone now.

Also bonus allows you to easily pick your bitrate, the type of game you want to view and all in proper full screen. A far better experience for your TV than accessing via a PC.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,966 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

How do you get xbmc on the tv? I have a LG smart tv and I don't think I can do that.

• Registered Users Posts: 686 ✭✭✭Putin

Got a new phone as a gift a few weeks back. Was looking forward to setting up GP on it. And then I find out GP doesn't do my particular Windows phones.:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,052 ✭✭✭poldebruin

eagle eye wrote: »
    How do you get xbmc on the tv? I have a LG smart tv and I don't think I can do that.

It seems you can install xbmc on the new version of LG's smart tv as it runs a version of android, although, from what is being mentioned here it seems a bit hit and miss.

If it played gamepass properly though, it would be worth it just to have that feasture alone imo.

The best way to get XBMC is to download an appropriate flavour , and install on a HTPC or laptop. Then add the plugins (apps) that you like.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,146 ✭✭✭Morrisseeee

eagle eye wrote: »

I don't have a smart tv but can you look for an XBMC plugin ?!

or

From here >
    The way I did it with my Samsung TV is to glue a Raspberry Pi to the back of the TV! Cost = £20ish

(1) Install openelec.tv(a cut down Linux with XBMC) on a Raspberry Pi
    (2) Power the RaspberryPi from the TV USB sockets.
    (3) HDMI lead from the Raspberry Pi to a spare HDMI slot in the TV.
    (4) Ethernet cable to Raspberry Pi.

The Raspberry Pi is CEC compatible, so you can control the Raspberry Pi / XBMC using your Samsung TV remote.

/glwt

Otherwise connect your computer to your TV or buy one of these.

I forgot about the raspberry pi, yes, definitely a nice low cost solution. Missing a few bits and bobs that would make for a nice experience though.

I have to admit, I know it has it's detractors, but the best device I have ever used for xbmc is the Ouya console.

There's no setup, just connect to TV. It can use a BT keyboard or IR controller (IR dongle separate) use your smartphone as a remote and is currently listed as a Bargain Alert for the cheapest I have seen it to date - €76 delivered.

XBMC is absolutely rock solid on it. Plays everything and never crashes. It has replaced my considerably more expensive HTPC.

**Bonus** Play Towerfall !!

• Advertisement

poldebruin wrote: »
    XBMC is absolutely rock solid on it. Plays everything and never crashes. It has replaced my considerably more expensive HTPC.

Did you sell it on or is it just redundant ?
    I'm messing around with TV/Satellite/Sky/terrestrial/TV card/HE atm !!
    I got a cheap DVB-S2 card and stuck in into my PC, I've a few programs installed, MythTV being one, and looking at XBMC as a frontend, the only thing is I don't have a fast and good allowance internet !
    I recorded the Broncos game on Ch4 HD the other night, it ate up......15GB, quality is superb tho.

Raspberry Pi's look the biz, loads of possibilities with those things.

15GB! That seems a tad large. Obviously no compression used -- as long as aren't storing it there's no real issue with the larger file size.
    I have a Hava/Slingbox attached to the Sky Box which I can record TV off onto my main pc, but it allows you to determine the stream quality and has several compression (or uncompressed) options for recording.

The HTPC is now an expensive slot-load DVD player for Children's DVDs!

There are so many options these days, it's hard to keep track !

I used VLC player to convert it to MP4 and @ 720p and it brought the size down to 2.6GB, but the sound is off, doh! It took 6+ hours.

Is the Hava/Slingbox connected to the RF out of the Skybox?, probably much the same as I used to do it, ie. the RF out to a TV card in the PC, but atm I've it connected to a DVD HDD recorder.

There are so many options these days, it's hard to keep track !.

I know, I used to try and keep up, but it's definitely slipping now!
    I used VLC player to convert it to MP4 and @ 720p and it brought the size down to 2.6GB, but the sound is off, doh! It took 6+ hours.

Yeah, it's the convenience that's handy when it does it on the fly. Less manual intervention the better.
    Is the Hava/Slingbox connected to the RF out of the Skybox?, probably much the same as I used to do it, ie. the RF out to a TV card in the PC, but atm I've it connected to a DVD HDD recorder.

Do you know, it's so long since ~i9 set it up that I can't remember - definitely not RF though, I think it has composite video and audio out also.

Advertisement