Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

what made you become a Christian?

• 10-12-2007 5:59pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,577 ✭✭✭

I was just wondering what the title says really. How did you come to your faith, by logic or revelation? And do you believe the bible word for word, or think that some bits were added and some left out over the years?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,026 ✭✭✭kelly1

I was just wondering what the title says really. How did you come to your faith, by logic or revelation? And do you believe the bible word for word, or think that some bits were added and some left out over the years?
    Hello SW, I became a Christian when I was baptized as a baby. Oops here comes a crowd to slam infant baptism...

During my teens I left the Church mainly due to my attraction to sin but also because of my lack of knowledge of the faith. After a trip to Lourdes I very suddently regained my faith in the Catholic Church (which had long since vanished). So I would consider this conversion a miracle of God's grace. I think it was more a revelation than a logical conclusion.

And yes there are many erroneous translations of the bible around. The bible though, is essentially though the story of God's covenants with the human race and should not be treated like a science or history book. It contains spiritual truths.

God bless,
    Noel.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,196 ✭✭✭BrianCalgary

Someone explained to me God's plan of salcvation. I had been raised in the Anglican Church of Canada, been baptised as a baby, took confirmation but never really understood what it all meant ort what it was for.

Baptised at the age of 37 after coming to the realization that baptism was an act of obedience to Christ.

Have been serving Him now for over 10 years and it is great.

I take the Bible as the literal word of God, who inspred men to write it. It conveys truths about life and how to live it. It talks about the history of God's people and His interventions into man's affairs and history. It tells of the character of God and the character of man and Satan.

It also tells of God's unfolding plan of reconciliation to mankind and how it is done and how it finishes up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,285 ✭✭✭BanzaiBk

Baptised ruorthodox by my parents when I was born. I would describe myself more as a Christian these days though. I don't believe the bible word for word, but prefer to concentrate on my personal relationship with God and living my life according to the "Golden Rule" i.e. treat others how you would like them to treat you. My knowledge of scripture is very limited.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 427 ✭✭izzyflusky

I've been born in a christian family (although my da is not saved or anything) so yeah, pretty much i went to church every sunday when I was a kid. Then I turned into a teenager and wanted to do whatever I wanted so I stopped going to church and forgot about everything i have been thought during my whole life.
    One day though a pastor from a baptist churched knocked on my door (my ma is a baptist too). I wasnt interested but my ma wanted to go to church and since she doesnt speak english she wanted me to go with her (we are not irish obviously). Anyway, I went just to make her happy but something kind of clicked inside. I had lots of question that could only be answered if I went to church, until one day I understood the concept of being saved, and asked the Lord as my personal saviour (again) but this time undertanding the full meaning of it. A few weeks ago I got baptised, and my boyfriend also got saved a few months ago.:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,245 ✭✭✭✭Fanny Cradock

izzyflusky wrote: »
    I've been born in a christian family (although my da is not saved or anything) so yeah, pretty much i went to church every sunday when I was a kid. Then I turned into a teenager and wanted to do whatever I wanted so I stopped going to church and forgot about everything i have been thought during my whole life.
    One day though a pastor from a baptist churched knocked on my door (my ma is a baptist too). I wasnt interested but my ma wanted to go to church and since she doesnt speak english she wanted me to go with her (we are not irish obviously). Anyway, I went just to make her happy but something kind of clicked inside. I had lots of question that could only be answered if I went to church, until one day I understood the concept of being saved, and asked the Lord as my personal saviour (again) but this time undertanding the full meaning of it. A few weeks ago I got baptised, and my boyfriend also got saved a few months ago.:)

I could have written that myself :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,683 ✭✭✭✭Owen

Was conditioned into it by my Parents, but I'm not Christian/Catholic anymore. I still respect those who are though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 458 ✭✭SubjectSean

Baptised early on by force, the same as most I'd imagine. "Quick, get him, before he learns how to reason"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,479 ✭✭✭✭philologos

If you want an answer to this. I'd say out of curiosity, I wanted to find out what Christianity was all about. I must say I was pleasantly surprised finishing the 66 book Canon, I'm still finishing the last bit of the Apocrypha. I must say now, it was the best thing that I have ever done. It seems funny that reading a book could be the best thing that I ever done, but it helped me put my life into perspective by placing it into the days of old and the continuing traditions which led on from the Christian faith.

I'm currently reading C.S Lewis' Signature Classics at the minute, they seem to be well reasoned so far.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,580 ✭✭✭Splendour

izzyflusky wrote: »

Hey izzyflusky,what an encouraging post!
    I love to hear stories like this, gives me such hope for family and friends who are not believers. I pray that someday my children have reason to write something similar...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 Sallers

I was baptised as an infant, obviously not given much of a choice but it stuck pretty well-im in my fifth year of theology in college. in answer to the question about believing the bible word for word, treat it not as a tall story but as a deep story. certainly there are parts which require a lot of imagination, but it serves the same purpose as other ancient 'stories'; it gives us a history, a background and a meaning to our fath. it gives believers a sense of belonging, community, tradition and a shared history. i may not believe everything, but its comforting to have that sense of history.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,686 ✭✭✭✭PDN

I could have written that myself :)

Hopefully excepting the bit about your boyfriend getting saved :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,418 ✭✭✭JimiTime

i have my Parents to thank. I was never baptised as a baby or brought to any church. I was given christian values, and from an early age reasoned the scriptures with my family. Always encouraged to question and think and reason. Such a great upbringing still didn't stop a bit of teenage rebellion, but I found myself again when the hormones died down:). Still searching and asking questions to this day. Love God and Love your neighbour, on these two things my principles rest, and in this 'golden rule' my reasoning is.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,245 ✭✭✭✭Fanny Cradock

PDN wrote: »
    Hopefully excepting the bit about your boyfriend getting saved :)

:D

He's so dreamy!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 427 ✭✭izzyflusky

:D

He's so dreamy!

HAHAHAHAHA.

I know its not what the post is about but I need to tell some1! Just got back from a xmas dinner with my church. Invited my boyfriend's parents to come. They are catholics and think I'm in some sort of cult, but of course they don't say that to me, just behind my bk lol. Anywho, I was very nervous, and nobody talked in the car which made it even worse cuz they usually won't stop talking. They seemed to have a great time at the end. But with them you can never tell!! I believe God has a plan for my boyfriend's family, so hopefully they truely liked it! And come back!
    Yous can go bk to the topic, and if anyone is interested I can tell them how my boyfriend got saved hehehehe.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,196 ✭✭✭BrianCalgary

well izzy, that is a praise item. :)

The party in Heaven over that.

• Registered Users Posts: 754 ✭✭✭ryoishin

Not sure really. No great conversion like St Paul or anything. My family are nt really religious except my gran. When it came to the leaving cert I went to an interview for a theology course and it sounded ok. I then decided that the course was to "make you a religion teacher" and opted to go the Milltown Ins of thoelogy and philosophy instead and spent 4 years doing theology and pastoral care (and a year of philosophy) and found a very systematic approach to faith. I found that it rested well with me and I enjoyed the alive theology i learnt. it was nt like the bible says this, but if God is good then .... and this can be illustrated in scripture. I also learnt alot about what Catholicism isnt that people think it is. And I suppose it grew from there. It helped that i was 18 and maturing.

• Registered Users Posts: 19 solsqeez

I was atheist for years until I thought about what benefit this position
    gave me. Atheism is a belief unprovable similar to any religion. I don't
    believe in the Santa Claus God. I don't believe that the "I" continues to
    exist as itself in heaven after the body dies. But I saw much value in the
    teachings of Christianity. How can I enjoy and take part in this wonderfull
    religious tradition without also excepting its magical thinking.

I started by seeing the Church as a piece of romantic culture. Im my
    opinion The Bible is a book of poetry, of metaphors and stories not to be
    taken literally and Church customs such as holy water are just traditions.
    But these traditions, customs, stories and metaphors are all a necessary
    part of the Christian web.

To talk about my beliefs seperate to magical thinking Christians I will call
    myself a postmodern Christian.

Postmodern Christians in when they speak of God are just using a
    different set of language to modernist agnostics and materialists. So
    when the materialist talks of "all that is" (as apposed to the
    universe when of course there could be many universes), the Christian
    would talk of God or the Holy Spirit ("as it was in the beginning, is
    now, and ever shall be"). When the materialist speaks of a theoretical
    human who lives a perfect moral life based on reason, the Christian
    would say Jesus. When the materialist theorises on what has come
    before and philosophises on the meaning of life, the Christian would
    say God or "God the Father" as in God the noun = the verb of
    theorising on what came before. Because lets face it there can never be
    any empirical proof to the meaning of life so why wast all your energy!

Christianity is a religion, if you don't like the word religion, its a
    system of teachings and culture for living an efficient life. Lets say
    religions are like an operating system, the Postmodern Christian
    recognises that there are many operating systems, Windows/Linux/Mac,
    Christianity/Hinduism/Atheism. They conflict if more than one is
    running simultaneously on an individual, but when only one is running,
    it doesn't matter which, the system works smoothly. At a time one OS
    could be more suited to an individual than another, and thereby more
    efficient. This doesn't stop the individual from re-booting another OS
    if one needs to, maybe to have dialogue with someone using a different
    OS, then re-booting back again to their old OS.

I believe in the core princibles of Christian teaching and I intend to work to
    deepen my understanding and practice of the universal love at the heart
    of those principles. I am now proud to call myself a Christian.

Advertisement