Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Corsets. And advice!

Options
  • 13-04-2007 11:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,095 ✭✭✭

If you haven't seen my post on Dita Von Teese, you should read that first.

Basically I would like to obtain an hourglass shape through corset wearing.

I'm just wondering has anyone got any tips? Like where to buy the ones for wearing under clothes? And how to put them on and tighten them and the like?

Thanks. :)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,295 ✭✭✭Acid_Violet

Well tbh the best way to get an hourglass shape is through exercise. Start on that, it's a much better idea than destroying your body. But if you want to know, then to get an idea I'd go around to all the fancy underwear shops. If you're looking for a good one over your clothes than there's a shop in george's street arcade where you can get proper fully boned ones and hysteria which is to the left of central bank if you face it also has some. I'd recommend going to those shops to talk about one first. You normally start with one that's four inches smaller then your waist already. But bear in mind the damage that corsets cause, you're much better off doing the right exercises and stretches, they'll probably prove more efective too.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,365 ✭✭✭hunnymonster

I disagree with acid violet on two counts

While tightly laced corsets can do some damage to people if not used correctly, there are a whole bunch of people who great great relief from back pain from them, not to mention larger busted women who often find them more comfortable than a traditional over-the-shoulders type bra.

Secondly, it is not possible to spot reduce using exercise. If youve a tendency to a particular body shape (apple, pear, ourglass) that is the way you will look at whatever weight. Corect exercise and diet will reshape you all over and maybe you'll find you like those changes without a corset?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,440 ✭✭✭✭Piste

Yeah you're right there Hunnymonster, OP I'm assuming you're not gonna be lacing it to the point where you can't breathe?

You could get a nice one on the internet, but try some on in shops in town to find out which styles and sizes suit you best. Retro in Georges Sreet Arcade sell them but have a quite a limited range, some of the more upmarket Lingerie shops sell them too, so check out the Lingerie section of Arnotts.

Or if you're loaded you could try get a handmade Mr. pearl corset which Dita von Teese herself is a fan of :)

Secondly, it is not possible to spot reduce using exercise. If youve a tendency to a particular body shape (apple, pear, ourglass) that is the way you will look at whatever weight.

There are specific exercises you can do to give you an hourglass shape and to make your waist smaller.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,095 ✭✭✭Fantasy_Suicide

Ha, yeah I'm not trying to kill myself or anything!!

Thanks for the advice, lads. :)

• Advertisement

There are specific exercises you can do to give you an hourglass shape and to make your waist smaller.

Great. I could do with these:) can you post details?

Just normal stuff like crunches but also some weird yoga side stretching dealy (hard to describe without showing, something we did in school.) I'll have a look online for info.

Just normal stuff like crunches but also some weird yoga side stretching dealy (hard to describe without showing, something we did in school.) I'll have a look online for info.

I wish some of the fitness peeps would post in this thread for the science stuff but from what I understand crunches will not thin your wiast. The only thing to make the waist appear thinner would be to lose weight and it is not possible to spot lose weight from some parts of the body and not others. Furthermore, If I'm reading the literature correctly training the obliques has the potential to actually make a waist look thicker as muscle develops there?

I wish some of the fitness peeps would post in this thread for the science stuff but from what I understand crunches will not thin your wiast. The only thing to make the waist appear thinner would be to lose weight and it is not possible to spot lose weight from some parts of the body and not others. Furthermore, If I'm reading the literature correctly training the obliques has the potential to actually make a waist look thicker as muscle develops there?

Well the crunches making the waist look thicker is true if you build up a lot of muscle, that's true of every part of the body. If you do enough crunches to lose the soft spots around your waist and get your tummy flat then that'll not make your waist necessarily smaller but your tummy will definitely not be bulging so it'll appear smaller. There's a particular exercise that I'd have to show you which does certainly create an hourglass shape. If your willing to spend a few bucks on it google this book; 'Fit for your shape' by Matt Roberts.

I've been through a series of fitness seminars for training, and I have been constantly told that crunches will not reduce waist size..

If there is excess weight, then general fitness and good diet will reduce it, but crunches will build up muscle and thus increase your waist size,

haven't much experience with Corsets though! ;)

• Advertisement
Advertisement