Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

E20 for a dry cut!!!

• 22-02-2007 3:01pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,445 ✭✭✭tc20

Hi all,
    was in Dundrum TC yesterday evening and got my hair cut in the barbers (Knights?) at the car park entrance, opposite Argos. Nothing fancy, just a trim, dry. 20 euro!!! Ok, it was a good cut (i have longish hair), but Jebus save us...
    Am i missing something here, or is that the going rate?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,584 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

it may not be the going rate but i've seen that place before, they have a big sign as you walk in saying the hair cuts are €20.

that would be fairly standard for a wash and cut that just doesn't involve a razor.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

€10 tbh

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,822 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

MAdness alright, there is 2 barbers in Rathmines, a 3 minute walk between them. One charges €14 for a dry cut, the other €6... guess which one I picked :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,822 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

MAdness alright, there is 2 barbers in Rathmines, a 3 minute walk between them. One charges €14 for a dry cut, the other €6... guess which one I picked :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 287 ✭✭joenailface

simple suggestion is buy a razor for the house you live in, 3 or 4 ways its gonna cost 20 or 25 euro each...price of a few haircuts and youll have it for years and its not that hard to not screw up hair...if your willing to pay more than 10 euro for a haircut you deserve to get ripped off for being a dumbass

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,929 ✭✭✭Raiser

Trilla wrote:

Trilla wrote:

Twice :eek: - Stop now or you'll look like yer man Kojak...............

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,445 ✭✭✭tc20

simple suggestion is buy a razor for the house you live in, 3 or 4 ways its gonna cost 20 or 25 euro each...price of a few haircuts and youll have it for years and its not that hard to not screw up hair...if your willing to pay more than 10 euro for a haircut you deserve to get ripped off for being a dumbass

my brother in law has a razor and is fairly handy with it, but as i said i have fairly longish hair, (after years of blade cuts). I let herself have a go once with the razor, thinking "you cant screw up with one of these...." famous last words. Me head looked like the Landsdowne pitch of old :eek: had to go for a blade 2 allover to rectify it...
    To get a decent cut with long hair i've been going to a place near me for about 18months, and they do it ok, wash & cut for 14. I just thought i'd try somewhere different, and yes i did see the big sign saying 20euro, so i knew what i was getting into.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 661 ✭✭✭thewing

€20 in grafton barber...

• Registered Users Posts: 10 Guy_In_Cognito

Place at the top of my road does a dry cut for 7euro. It was 5euro up till very recently.

Does a fairly thorough and good job too..

€20 in grafton barber...
    that includes a wash aswell.

i didn't see that the topic was 20 euros for a dry cut, you got shafted to be honest. i got my hair cut once in that knights place and it was a good cut but they washed my hair before hand. they should always wash it if your hair is long, well it makes their job easier.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,277 ✭✭✭✭Rb

Cremo wrote:
    it may not be the going rate but i've seen that place before, they have a big sign as you walk in saying the hair cuts are €20.

that would be fairly standard for a wash and cut that just doesn't involve a razor.
    This is true, its very well advertised.

OP, you chose a dry cut. You can get it washed, dried, cut and gelled in Knights for €20.
    Next time ask for a wash and a cut, you'll see its the exact same price.

Therefore, it is down to your own stupidity that you didn't avail of all that your €20 entitled you to.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 310 ✭✭maxi-twist

thewing wrote:
    €20 in grafton barber...

Thats a quality barber tho,they've never given me something i havent liked.Id easily be willing to pay 20 yos for there.

rb_ie wrote:
    This is true, its very well advertised.

OP, you chose a dry cut. You can get it washed, dried, cut and gelled in Knights for €20.
    Next time ask for a wash and a cut, you'll see its the exact same price.

Therefore, it is down to your own stupidity that you didn't avail of all that your €20 entitled you to.

My hair was only just washed, so still damp enough for the girl to cut. I do believe in (mostly) you get what you pay for, and she did a fine job, so i dont feel that i was ripped off, just was a bit taken aback at the cost

• Closed Accounts Posts: 57 ✭✭tamburlaine

Trilla wrote:

The more expensive one because you're a big fairy!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,203 ✭✭✭Heyes

Compare your prices to this and then see if you get a bad deal.....

For a girl, cut takes 10 minutes from begining to end
    60 Euro !!!

Colour and Cut,
    180 Euro !!!

You guys have it easy, trust me :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 842 ✭✭✭dumbyearbook

Haircut + wash main street Ballina Mayo = €15 the look on your face when its €20 in Dundrum TC - Priceless ! ( c'mon Harvey Nicks is a 3min walk form there what ya expect !)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,249 ✭✭✭✭Kinetic^

Free tbh!!! Give myself a 2 blade every other week with a Nicky Clarke razor I picked up in Argos for €50. Have it about 2 years and no problems.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,598 ✭✭✭ferdi

my mother cuts my hair these days, wet with scissors, its free and far better than any barber job, ie: i get exactly what i ask for.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭KTRIC

I use the Grafton Barber myself, get a 2 blade in therer every 3rd week and it only costs me €12 :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,566 ✭✭✭Gillo

Heyes wrote:

Except when you lot rant on about leaving the toilet seat up.

20 euro is grand for a cut, you could also pay alot more.

• Advertisement

Kenny 5 wrote:
    Free tbh!!! Give myself a 2 blade every other week with a Nicky Clarke razor I picked up in Argos for €50. Have it about 2 years and no problems.

Cutting it yourself is really only an option for a basic haircut, why do ppl seem to think this is n option for everyone i dont want to shave my head ! even with a 5 add on thing or whatever :D

Haircut + wash main street Ballina Mayo = €15

They want you to wash the main st for E15?
    They're feckers in Mayo i tell ya..

And how would one know its the main st? Cos the further down ya go, the meaner it gets ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,034 ✭✭✭✭Stark

maxi-twist wrote:
    Thats a quality barber tho,they've never given me something i havent liked.Id easily be willing to pay 20 yos for there.

I got a bad cut in there the other week. Some rude foreign blonde girl. Asked me what blade I wanted back and sides but didn't ask me any more than that, just started chopping :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,720 ✭✭✭Hal1

Stark wrote:
    I got a bad cut in there the other week. Some rude foreign blonde girl. Asked me what blade I wanted back and sides but didn't ask me any more than that, just started chopping :mad:

Lol and you just sat there going wtf is she doing to my hair I would have grabbed the sissors and took a chunk outta her hair see how see likes it :eek:. Well tis your own fault for allowing the girl to cut your hair. I would have upped and left gone somewhere else.

I would have upped and left too but she'd already done and the back and sides. Sometimes they wait until they're finished with the razor before asking what you want done with the scissors, which is why I waited until she'd finished them.

I've had hairdressers before where you tell them what you want and they do their own thing anyway. Very annoying. I really should just stick with the one I know down in Cork. Sometimes I go to Peter Marks upstairs in the Blanchardstown Centre if I'm stuck. They're expensive but at least they do a good job.

Haircut + wash main street Ballina Mayo = €15 the look on your face when its €20 in Dundrum TC - Priceless ! ( c'mon Harvey Nicks is a 3min walk form there what ya expect !)

wtf you expect him to do, drive to ballina everytime he wants a haircut to "save" a fiver?

"wtf" is it??

my point is haircuts are dear wherever in the country you go nowadays in a main shopping district - how much is a haircut in Wicklow? or do you have anything ot offer other than silly ideas?:eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,555 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

place on talbot st does haircuts for €5 mon/tues €7 rest of the week being going there the last year no complaints always got what i asked for.its across from guineys beside the singer shop

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭The Sweeper

Boys make me laugh. I got my hair washed and coloured today. It cost me the equivalent in sterling of just over €120. A haircut for €7? I can't even get a bloody cup of coffee for that usually.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,234 ✭✭✭Malteaser!

^^^^^i was just about to say something similar!!

the boys should stop whinging,its not that much!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,175 ✭✭✭✭Sangre

No one is stopping girls using a barber's as well. So quit your moaning about guys moaning.

do you girls get your haircut every month? most lads will

lads don't expect to get a cut and colour for €20 they know that costs way more.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,457 ✭✭✭ALS

Top Barber I have found is Alan up in the barber shop in Hueston Station ,Quality Cut everytime , great value about 13 euro, always a really good cut and a genuine nice guy,,,,,,,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,117 ✭✭✭Gazza22

Stark wrote:

God this made me laugh. I had the exact same experience last week. I decided to try grafton barber as it was recommended to me.

I got this foreign guy, he didn't even ask me, he kinda just stared at me for a few secs until i said what i wanted! He didn't say a word throughout the time i was there either!

I was very happy with the cut at €16, so i think i'll make it a regular place now. But i dunno, i felt a bit strange, i'm used to a bit of small talk to pass the few mins - he just made the whole thing awkward with silence from start to finish!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,660 ✭✭✭Blitzkrieger

The place I used to go to is now 22EUR for a wash and cut. It was worth it if you got a good barber but out of the 6 lads in there 2 were ****. TBH I hit every branch of the ugly tree on my way down so I'm probably wasting my time, but a good hair cut is worth the money. If you've ever gotten a really bad one you'll know why.

• Advertisement

Can you not ask for a specific barber?

Luckily the the place I go to in Cork has 3 people who cut men's hair and they're all very good.

Gazza22 wrote:
    God this made me laugh. I had the exact same experience last week. I decided to try grafton barber as it was recommended to me.

I got this foreign guy, he didn't even ask me, he kinda just stared at me for a few secs until i said what i wanted! He didn't say a word throughout the time i was there either!

I was very happy with the cut at €16, so i think i'll make it a regular place now. But i dunno, i felt a bit strange, i'm used to a bit of small talk to pass the few mins - he just made the whole thing awkward with silence from start to finish!

My hair cuts cost 27 and thats in the middle of nowhere and I'm a girl, pft
    but I wish they'd be more quiet when cutting/washing my hair
    I mean seriously, I don't want to talk about what I'm doing this evening or what I'm doing in college, some idiot girl asked if I was doing the LC once :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,660 ✭✭✭Blitzkrieger

Stark wrote:
    Can you not ask for a specific barber?

Yeah, but then they give you a dirty look and start muttering about you in Turkish. That's why it's the place I used to get my hair cut.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 128 ✭✭DeiseGal

Is this really necessary? I wonder who REALLY is the dumbass!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,924 ✭✭✭Cork

Cutting it yourself is really only an option for a basic haircut, why do ppl seem to think this is n option for everyone i dont want to shave my head ! even with a 5 add on thing or whatever :D

The funny thing about shaving it yourself - is that half way thru - you get bored and would give up only for the embarrasment of going around with a half finished hair cut.

Seriously, I have being cutting my own hair for over a year and nobody has even noticed.

I never notice good haircuts or bad haircuts. Hair cuts are Hair cuts.

What I like about cutting it myself is that you don't need to rush around at lunchtime looking for a hairdresser/barber or after work.

€20 for a dry cut is mad. Hair cuts never used be this price.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 41 ninabissett

Heyes wrote:
    Compare your prices to this and then see if you get a bad deal.....

For a girl, cut takes 10 minutes from begining to end
    60 Euro !!!

Colour and Cut,
    180 Euro !!!

Oh i know. I fully know what you mean. Like I always shop around for cheaper, got quoted 200 for colour and cut one time and I was like ehhh NO.

Advertisement