Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Top hung PVC window hinges

• 22-11-2014 8:29pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,810 ✭✭✭

Had 3 pairs of top hung window hinges to replace on our old PVC windows as they no longer closed tight at the top of the window. 5mm gaps, seal no longer compressed and noise and draughts getting in. I read that his was a sure sign they needed replacing. Ordered the correct size and set about fitting them today.

Window 1 was a breeze. Holes on new hinges lined up with old holes in both the frames and the window panel. Closed the window. Perfect tight deal with gap gone. Brilliant.

Window 2 however, although the holes matched up again, the gap when the window was closed remains. Ran out of time and didn't try and adjust the hinge nor attempt window 3.

My question, before I try again is whether I need to raise or lower the window panel on the hinge. I am assuming I don't adjust where the hinge screws into the frame. Both the old hinges and the new hinges on the window that was successful are attached to the frame such that the top plastic guide on the runner is pushed up to the top of the window frame.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 918 ✭✭✭RoscommonTom

Calibos wrote: »
    Had 3 pairs of top hung window hinges to replace on our old PVC windows as they no longer closed tight at the top of the window. 5mm gaps, seal no longer compressed and noise and draughts getting in. I read that his was a sure sign they needed replacing. Ordered the correct size and set about fitting them today.

Window 1 was a breeze. Holes on new hinges lined up with old holes in both the frames and the window panel. Closed the window. Perfect tight deal with gap gone. Brilliant.

Window 2 however, although the holes matched up again, the gap when the window was closed remains. Ran out of time and didn't try and adjust the hinge nor attempt window 3.

My question, before I try again is whether I need to raise or lower the window panel on the hinge. I am assuming I don't adjust where the hinge screws into the frame. Both the old hinges and the new hinges on the window that was successful are attached to the frame such that the top plastic guide on the runner is pushed up to the top of the window frame.

Raisd her the few inches and youll be sound,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,810 ✭✭✭Calibos

Tom, I assume you meant reattach the window panel to the hinge higher up and by a few mm as opposed to a few inches?

Advertisement