Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Help with ridge cap please.

• 18-11-2014 10:56pm
    Site Banned Posts: 518 ✭✭✭

dear people

I wonder if someone might give me a tip here please.

The roofer never came back so I have completed the slating my self.
    Now I have the ridge capping. They are 10 meter lengths of black coated metallic. I have the nails which are big with a rubber washer. I am just wondering where exactly I nail? I presume the nails go into the top lathe on each side? As for spacing, would 500 mm be ok?

There are a few hips and valleys. Do I just cut the ridge cap at an angle in order for 1 section to fit up to another? And then seal the joining?

All opinions welcome.

Thanks a lot for your help.

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 6,854 Mod ✭✭✭✭mp22

Nails go into the centre of the ridge cap.every 18 inches would be better.yep cut the joins at an angle and seal with black sealant.

• Site Banned Posts: 518 ✭✭✭eamon11

thanks mp,

The ridge cap is 90 degrees which gives a very pointy top. So I hammer the nail directly through this point? Wound this not damage the point as the nails are quite thick and bulky? Under the point will be nothing for about 2 inches till the nail hits the ridge board.

as the nails are quite thick and bulky, is there not a danger also of them splitting the ridge board?

Thanks again, much appreciated.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,890 ✭✭✭Bullocks

eamon11 wrote: »
    thanks mp,

The ridge cap is 90 degrees which gives a very pointy top. So I hammer the nail directly through this point? Wound this not damage the point as the nails are quite thick and bulky? Under the point will be nothing for about 2 inches till the nail hits the ridge board.

as the nails are quite thick and bulky, is there not a danger also of them splitting the ridge board?

Thanks again, much appreciated.
    You could drill a pilot hole in the capping before you bang the nails in . Be careful not to drive the capping down out of shape . Are you sure you have the right thickness nails ? I'm not a roofer but I think they are thin enough nails for the capping from what I remember

Advertisement