Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stain skirting before or after fit

Options
  • 21-11-2014 10:43am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,997 ✭✭✭

Putting on new skirting this weekend and not sure if I should fit it before staining and varnishing or stain all the boards then cut and fit, whats the consensus on this?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,517 ✭✭✭Ceepo

xabi wrote: »
    Putting on new skirting this weekend and not sure if I should fit it before staining and varnishing or stain all the boards then cut and fit, whats the consensus on this?

It would be easier to apply 1 no of coats and sand before fitting and then fill nail / plug holes and re coat once fitted.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,997 ✭✭✭xabi

is it best to cut before staining or stain first then cut

is it best to cut before staining or stain first then cut

It might be but it would depend on what type of timber and If you are plugging or not. If you are plugging you would need to plug after fitting which would mean you would need to touch up the plugs. Also what type of stain you are using ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,444 ✭✭✭sky6

Sand and fill well. First coat of stain 50/50 then another then fit and fill or plug screw holes then a quick cover coat as has been said.

using red deal, havent picked stain or varnish yet, any recommendations? are the combination stain/varnishes any good? Im still unclear on the cut first or stain first, if i cut first do i then stain the cut edges or stain first and leave the cut edges

• Advertisement

using red deal, havent picked stain or varnish yet, any recommendations? are the combination stain/varnishes any good? Im still unclear on the cut first or stain first, if i cut first do i then stain the cut edges or stain first and leave the cut edges

No problem using stain varnish combination.

Apply the 1st coat to the uncut timber, and then sand.
    Cut and then put the timber on. Fill nail holes and lightly rub them down depending on what type of filler you use. Try keep the filler to a minimum as some are hard to sand down. (I use Putty)
    Repaint again probably will require 3 no coats in total.

Remember timer will age itself in time so if you go to dark to stark it will only get darker.

Ceepo wrote: »
    No problem using stain varnish combination.

Apply the 1st coat to the uncut timber, and then sand.
    Cut and then put the timber on. Fill nail holes and lightly rub them down depending on what type of filler you use. Try keep the filler to a minimum as some are hard to sand down. (I use Putty)
    Repaint again probably will require 3 no coats in total.

Remember timer will age itself in time so if you go to dark to stark it will only get darker.

Great, thanks Ceepo.

Great, thanks Ceepo.

Not a bother

Great, thanks Ceepo.

Not a bother

Advertisement