Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Possible to insert velux without de-slating?

Options
  • 19-11-2014 7:33pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 107 ✭✭

hello everybody,

my roofer has completed the roof but forgot to install the velux where I had it marked.
    Slating is completed. Its a large roof and the velux will go quite low down on it.
    Is there a way of installing it without having to take all the slates off from the top?

Any help appreciated.

Thank You

Jim

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 542 ✭✭✭5T3PH3N

Between this and your other thread, it seems like he was a complete cowboy. Did he do anything correctly?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 107 ✭✭Jim1000

no. I had paid him in stages so he got 80% of the agreed price. I didn't discover the leak until it was too late. Still, I offered to pay him all if he would complete the task. I think he is afraid to touch the roof now.
    Anyway, have you installed a velux in a slate roof?

• Registered Users Posts: 788 ✭✭✭650gs

Its no big deal to fit the window now you just remove what slates are in the way not a big job at all

• Registered Users Posts: 9,930 ✭✭✭dodzy

Jim1000 wrote: »
    hello everybody,

my roofer has completed the roof but forgot to install the velux where I had it marked.
    Slating is completed. Its a large roof and the velux will go quite low down on it.
    Is there a way of installing it without having to take all the slates off from the top?

Any help appreciated.

Thank You

Jim

A roofer....forgets to install a velux ? Thats' s feckin priceless. He doesn't want to touch it because he's incompetent. Keep the 20% in your pocket, run him, and then source a proper guy to fit the velux.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,419 ✭✭✭jamesd

Is it a big job to add one into a roof ? Would like one in my garage roof.

• Advertisement
  • Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,655 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tokyo

jamesd wrote: »
    Is it a big job to add one into a roof ? Would like one in my garage roof.

Not particularly - a half day to a day's work for a competent DIYer (not including tidying up the interior). Pretty sure there are installation videos up on the velux website or in youtube if you want to get a feel fro what's involved.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,419 ✭✭✭jamesd

mike_ie wrote: »
    Not particularly - a half day to a day's work for a competent DIYer (not including tidying up the interior). Pretty sure there are installation videos up on the velux website or in youtube if you want to get a feel fro what's involved.

Thanks Mike.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 107 ✭✭Jim1000

lads,

thanks for the replies.

My issue is I suppose how do I remove the slates at the start as they are nailed under the top tile? And then how do I re-slate as the slates already there are nailed?

Any tips would be very much appreciated.

• Registered Users Posts: 788 ✭✭✭650gs

You need a ripper for the slates http://www.roofingsuperstore.co.uk/product/tools-1/slate-hammers-rippers/roofers-slate-ripper-forged-pro.html
    As sair before not a big job for any competent DIY'er but on that note you dont seem to know much about this and slates are not like roof tiles that have a run off channel for rain water.
    you will need to cut some slates and if you don't get this 100% you have leaks for ever, I think for the sake of a days pay get in someone who knows what there doing

Advertisement