Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

He has a shower tray but no doors

Options
  • 18-11-2014 10:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭

My boyfriend is living in assisted housing. His bathroom is a joke and I've decided to get involved.

There is a tiled section on the wall and a square shower tray that is open on three sides in the middle of the room.

As you can imagine, water goes everywhere!

He tried hanging a C-shaped curtain rail but the wall is crumbling and it won't hold.

I'm thinking he needs two screens and a door or half screens at the bottom (there's about an inch of lip on the tray but nothing else to stop splashes) and a clever way to hang a curtain.

Ideas welcome... Budget is small and I'm trying to prove the fairer sex can handle this level of DIY.
    Tagged:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,590 ✭✭✭agusta

Is the "inch of lip" part of the shower tray,i.e upstands?, what size is the shower tray

• Registered Users Posts: 1,428 ✭✭✭quietsailor

Bellemz wrote: »
    My boyfriend is living in assisted housing. His bathroom is a joke and I've decided to get involved.

There is a tiled section on the wall and a square shower tray that is open on three sides in the middle of the room.

As you can imagine, water goes everywhere!

He tried hanging a C-shaped curtain rail but the wall is crumbling and it won't hold.

I'm thinking he needs two screens and a door or half screens at the bottom (there's about an inch of lip on the tray but nothing else to stop splashes) and a clever way to hang a curtain.

Ideas welcome... Budget is small and I'm trying to prove the fairer sex can handle this level of DIY.

Is it a wet room -- the floor is tiled or has a heavy duty looking lino style covering with a drain set into the floor? This is designed to let the water be swept off the floor ie no shower curtains/doors might be correct.

If it hasn't a floor drain then all the water will need to be kept within the shower tray and you need the curtains/doors.

Can you post a picture of the room and a close up of the wall where you attached the curtain already. There is differing levels of fixings you can use which get more expensive as they get better and someone here might be have had the same style wall and you'll find out what worked for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭Bellemz

Thanks homer911, those are more reasonable versions of what I'd been able to find myself online.

Definitely not a wet room, the bit of lip is on the shower tray, nothing extra. My dad has suggested 3 x straight curtain rails between walls and lead weights on the curtains.

Currently the bathroom floods and the water just sits there, it's a damp room anyway and we just end up mopping it all up as it stays wet and gets musty and horrible. It's an apartment so not sure if it's leaking down to the roof of the guy below or if the tiled floor is enough to stop it... Definitely no drain in the floor anyway.

I'll take pictures next time I'm there

Advertisement