Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2014 March for Marriage - THIS Sunday

Options
  • 19-08-2014 12:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 40,880 ✭✭✭✭

This years March for Marriage is on this Sunday August 24th.

For various reasons I've never been to it so this may probably be my first (and hopefully last) time attending

http://www.activelink.ie/content/community-exchange/events/16780

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 40,880 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

Anyone going?

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 4,934 ✭✭✭Daith

Yeah I definitely going. Always seems to be a really good charged atmosphere. Hopefully it will be the last one.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 404 ✭✭kisaragi

I don't post on this board regularly - but I'll definitely be there! As you say, hopefully for the last time!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,512 ✭✭✭baby and crumble

There's a deep irony somewhere that I can't go because I'll be at my brothers wedding! I'll be there in spirit!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,696 ✭✭✭outnumbered

The Irish Rail strike might deter a good few from going :/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 750 ✭✭✭playedalive

I'll try to make it tomorrow. It should be fine for me.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,618 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

I wasn't able to make this but from what I heard the attendance was good at this event. Let's hope - ahead of next year's referendum - that this will be the very last March for Marriage event to be held.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭Ambersky

I was there on the march and I do hope the referendum is passed. There was a huge crowd and passers by were really supportive too. As soon as I got there someone handed me a piece of paper with the word Equal on it. Loads of people had them, tourists on Viking land water vehicles were waving them, children were waving them, they were all over the place and that seemed to be the theme.
    But I didnt feel right waving an Equal sign. Couples are going to be equal with other couples when this referendum is passed and they will have advantages over single people or anyone in any other kind of relationship. The higherarchy of the couple over the individual will be reinforced. Yes I know, once LGBT coupled relationships are recognised we can work on recognising the value in other relationships and maybe that will include single people too, just cos were not sh×××ing anyone or the same person for life dosent mean we dont have responsibilities or that there arent financial and hereditory issues for us too. Just sayin I hope those of you who are nicely coupled , or those of you who hope to be, dont forget the rest of us when you get your equality.

• Advertisement

Ambersky wrote: »
    I was there on the march and I do hope the referendum is passed. There was a huge crowd and passers by were really supportive too. As soon as I got there someone handed me a piece of paper with the word Equal on it. Loads of people had them, tourists on Viking land water vehicles were waving them, children were waving them, they were all over the place and that seemed to be the theme.
    But I didnt feel right waving an Equal sign. Couples are going to be equal with other couples when this referendum is passed and they will have advantages over single people or anyone in any other kind of relationship. The higherarchy of the couple over the individual will be reinforced. Yes I know, once LGBT coupled relationships are recognised we can work on recognising the value in other relationships and maybe that will include single people too, just cos were not sh×××ing anyone or the same person for life dosent mean we dont have responsibilities or that there arent financial and hereditory issues for us too. Just sayin I hope those of you who are nicely coupled , or those of you who hope to be, dont forget the rest of us when you get your equality.

I totally get that and I agree with it. In many ways there is a danger that marriage will heteronormativise lgbt lives and that anyone who doesnt sign upto marriage will be outcast and shunned. We need to really be really careful this doesn't happen.

Terry Pratchet

Advertisement