Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hospital Bill - blood lab consultant

Options
  • 12-05-2015 11:34am
    Registered Users Posts: 15

I got a fairly hefty bill statement from the hospital which was covered by health insurance for my 1 year old daughter. It was nice to get a breakdown of the values. I have to say that I do feel a bit ripped off. I only pay for my insurance, but higher prices will obviously push up the premium for everyone. My son was in hospital for 5 nights and is OK now. The room cost was €4000+ the consultancy fees were OK aside from the cost per sample, it mentioned that the price was going towards regional pathology consultant. I have no reason to believe that the regional consultant had anything to do with our case or if they even glanced at it. I'm sure there are reasons for the pathology consultant to be used in other cases. My question is if blood is taken in the hospital and it goes through the blood lab does the consultant look at all the blood and does he/she get paid per sample?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,787 ✭✭✭slimjimmc

I think your question on hospital/medical practices might be better answered in Health Sciences.
    Note new forum rules.

• Registered Users Posts: 885 ✭✭✭Dingle_berry

Eire007 wrote: »
    My question is if blood is taken in the hospital and it goes through the blood lab does the consultant look at all the blood and does he/she get paid per sample?

Whether a consultant looks at the blood or not depends on the sample. the only example that I can think of off the top of my head is a Full Blood Count (FBC) that shows a leukaemia. The consultant haematologist will look at the film. All other FBCs would be handled by Medical Scientists (who definitely do not get a fee per test!).
    I'm not certain but for private patients the consultant acting as the clinical interface of the lab (haematologist, microbiologist, etc) may charge. I imagine this is to cover the expertise that covers the lab (which tests to offer etc) not to cover the work put into the sample. Again, I'm not certain of this.

Advertisement