Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sewing machine problems & advice thread!

Options
  • 21-06-2015 5:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,085 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I'm trying to fix a sewing machine which is failing to pick up the bobbin thread correctly.

What seems to be happening is that the top thread is getting wound around behind the bobbin housing (between the feed dogs and the hook - as per the below figure) - despite getting picked up correctly by the hook and then collecting the bobbin thread.

Why is this happening?

machineparts.gif

I've messed about with it enough now and I can't see why this is not working. I ensure I have sufficiently lokngs tails to the top thread and the bobbin thread. I've tried inserting the bobbin both ways (clockwise and anti-clockwise). The problem of the needle/top thread getting caught between these parts is still happening.

Why is this and how do I fix it?

Thanks.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,824 ✭✭✭Qualitymark

Have you by any chance put in the bobbin the wrong way around - clockwise rather than anticlockwise or vice versa (can never remember which way it goes).

• Registered Users Posts: 8,085 ✭✭✭funkey_monkey

Hi - yes, I tried the bobbin both ways. The instruction manual is very old (old machine ~20yo) so it does not explicitly state what direction the bobbin is to be inserted.

The bobbin part seems to be okay - it is when the hook collects the top thread and starts wrapping it around the hook to pick up the bobbin thread. The top threads slips behind and gets caught behind the hook mechanism.

Frustrating!

And (sorry to ask) are you threading your needle from the correct side?

Otherwise, it might be something to do with the arcane mysteries of tension.

And (sorry to ask) are you threading your needle from the correct side?

Otherwise, it might be something to do with the arcane mysteries of tension.

Yes, I rechecked the instructions. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

I think threading too.

Are you holding the thread taut when putting it through the tension disks?

Thread it again with someone else holding the thread tight so it cant let more thread off the real.

hold the thread as taut as you can going through the different places. Also there might be crap in there, try have a look, its usually a dust ball or hair.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 139 ✭✭cuilteanna

I had something similar happen once, there was a rough spot that was catching the top thread and not releasing it to go back up properly. I had to replace the hook (in this particular machine it was a sort of plastic that had become scratched, I ordered a metal one to replace it) and all was well.

But cleaning and rethreading is always the place to start.

I've cleaned it out (negligible debris) and tried again. I've got the owner to try it numerous times too and it won't work - they have had this machine for 10+ years and it is kept in good condition. The hook is metal so has not become scratched. There is only one really way to put it together so I can't for the life of me see where I've gone wrong with it.

If only the top thread would stop pulling itself in behind the bobbin carrier the machine would be perfect. I just can't see what is wrong. Nothing seems bent, broken or loose. The owner can't get it to thread either.

Sounds to me like you need to bring the machine to the menders.

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭duckling10

i don;t have the answer for you, but have you 'asked' Google, here's one discussion I found when i typed in your query
    Bobbin thread not getting picked up correctly into Google search:

http://www.thriftyfun.com/tf80302359.tip.html, Sewing Machine Needle Not Catching Thread.

among the suggestions on there are suggestions to use a new needle, as even a slight bend in the needle can cause problems apparently;
    also on some machines there is a screw in the bobbin case that regulates tension, adjusting that might help.

there are videos on Youtube that could help, they turned up in the google search i did, here:

Hi - yes I've seen that thread and I adjusted the tension screw on the bobbin. I missed the part about changing the needle so I'll try that prior to leaving it in for repair.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

If the bobbin holder is plastic there may be a piece missing from it, I've replaced this part twice on my machine, I couldn't even see the little part that was missing. It was about 20 quid.

It came to light when the stitch length wasnt adjusting.

Bobbin holder is metal and appears to be correct.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,607 ✭✭✭Day Lewin

One thing that can make a difference is the pressure screw: try loosening and tightening that.

In bobbins, when loaded, usually when you gently pull the thread, the bobbin itself should travel clockwise. [traditionally]

Often there is a little tension clip on the bobbin housing and a tiny ball of lint may gather between the pieces of metal - not much bigger than a comma, LOL

But if you take the shuttle carefully apart and pick this out with the point of a pin, things may run smoothly afterwards.

A few tiny drops of oil, here and there, to grease the wheels, as it were. And use a new needle!

• Registered Users Posts: 35 mozies

Hi all, my sewing machine seems to have jammed when I press the foot it won't move and if I turn it by hand it won't move. It's like something's blocking it , I kind of half took it apart the bobbin ect and can't see any thread caught, anyone any suggestions?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,182 ✭✭✭Tiriel

I've merged your post in here mozies and have updated the thread title as I think the people in here might be able to help you.

• Registered Users Posts: 35 mozies

Thanks a million!

Advertisement