Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Russia - LGBT situation

13»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,008 ✭✭✭✭aloyisious

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,063 CMod ✭✭✭✭Ten of Swords

The special protest zones are all part of the Sochi dog and pony show, not much to say about them other than I find it somewhat odious that the authorities are using the recent Volgograd bombings as justification for imposing severe restrictions on the use of these zones.

Ivan Okhlobystin's comments are absolutely disgusting. The man is a priest for f**k sake (yes, he really is) - where is the love of your fellow human being? He calls the tolerance of homosexuality 'lavender facism' and in the same breath calls for homosexuals to be stripped of the right to vote. How does that work?
    I do not want my kids to think that fa**ots are normal. This is lavender fascism. If a person can not choose someone of an opposite sex for procreation -- this is an overt sign of mental abnormality, so they should be denied of voting rights.

He clarified his statements on Twitter by saying;
    It all sounded much simplier. But the meaning is transmitted correctly. Everyone has a right to have a personal opinion

And later,
    For a man there are only two options available to have an attitude toward sodomites: either acceptance or rejection. Given the aggression with which sodomites dictate their will to the world, there can not be some middle way. If you continue to flirt with sodomites, citing the rules of international, civil or criminal law -- it means to be cunning and violating the law of God. Putting it simple -- to serve the devil.

Even non-participation in the solution of this problem is a betrayal of God, whatever numerous and often conflicting "rights" claim,

"Plus the existence of official organizations which sodomites have in all their forms, from homosexuals to pedophiles -- it is a direct insult to the feelings of believers in God, and therefore it should be prosecuted.

He is the creative director for Евросеть (Euroset) which is Russia's largest mobile phone retailer. Their response to his comments was predictably weak.
    Ivan expressed his personal opinion, and we will not fire him for that. Of course, we are against burning anyone in furnaces. We have agreed that such statements will not be made anymore - Alexander Malis (President)

Apple are about to enter a large contract with Евросеть and a letter to CEO Tim Cook is going out this week asking him to reconsider dealing with this company. It is supported by many LGBT rights organisations inside and outside of Russia. Signatories are listed here, here and here

Now I know about cryogenic-prisons (look's at Hollywood) but serving a prison sentence by Skype??? :-)

http://www.queerty.com/notorious-russian-antigay-activist-flees-to-cuba-hopes-to-serve-prison-sentence-via-skype-20140110/

From PinkNews: A Russian gay protester was detained today for revealing a rainbow flag during the Olympic torch relay. Pavel Lebedev, of Voronezh, which is 560 miles north of Sochi, unfurled the rainbow flag as the torch passed through his hometown. Photos were uploaded by Lebedev’s friends of him unfurling the flag before being detained by security staff. He was wrestled to the snowy ground and held there until police arrived. Speaking to the AP, Lebedev said he was still in the police station being questioned. He said: ”Hosting the games here contradicts the basic principles of the Olympics, which is to cultivate tolerance.”

The Sochi Winter Olympics will begin on 7 February and have already caused an international outcry as Russian President Vladimir Putin in June signed a bill into law banning the “promotion of non-traditional relationships” to minors.

................................................................................................ Talking point: should participate in the games and make a visible protest there by wearing/unfurling the rainbow flag at an olympic event? Should LGBT Russians stay within the closet to stay safe from physical attack: http://www.pinknews.co.uk/2014/01/17/comment-we-should-honour-the-life-of-vlad-tornovoi-by-standing-up-for-gay-rights-in-russia/

....................................................................................................................................................................
    Photos below are part of Para 1 above

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,153 ✭✭✭Shakti

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,063 CMod ✭✭✭✭Ten of Swords

I am delighted he has finally been arrested and is being sent back to Russia. He was charged in absentia in December and he's been out of Russia ever since, first in Thailand and now Cuba.

While i do hope he's handed down a severe sentance the Russian judiciary will probably just give him a slap on the wrist because he has popular support in Russia and his family is wealthy. I wonder though, considering how much worldwide condemnation his Occupy movement has drawn and the considerable frustration this has caused Putin and the Kremlin, maybe the government will intervene and put him away for a long time - they know his movement and the safari's they conduct will probably continue anyway.

It's a shame that none of the charges against him relate to his trapping and tormenting LGBT teens :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,153 ✭✭✭Shakti

It's a shame that none of the charges against him relate to his trapping and tormenting LGBT teens :mad:

Precisely, The Putin oligarchy/theocracy would have seen doing so as a weakening of their position towards lgbt citizens especially after releasing two members of pussy riot. While to continue living and be trans in Russia is no longer an option for some.

http://www.advocate.com/politics/transgender/2013/10/22/trans-woman-commits-suicide-after-firing-under-russias-propaganda

A project to get the opinions of LGBTIQ in Russia called 'Word to the World' has posted the first 3 videos to youtube yesterday. Each video features a single question and those willing to be filmed give their thoughts and perspectvies on it. Simple, effective and surprisingly powerful.

English subtitles can be accessed by clicking on the caption icon at the bottom of each video.

What do you feel when you hear president Putin state "there is no discrimination of LGBTIQ in Russia?"

What can we do to get over homophobia in Russia?

How can the world help us change homophobia in Russia?

I lifted this from Facebook, various people posted it there. Languages are not my gift, so I don't know what language the song is sung in.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0KWhaqr1v8s

Beautiful video.

They are singing the Russian national anthem, the language is Russian!

Here is a little fact for anyone interested - the post soviet national anthem Патриотическая Песнь Глинки (Patrioticheskaya Pesnya) had no lyrics and complaints were made to the council of state that athletes had nothing to sing during olympic games and so could not feel inspired.

It was decreed that a national anthem with lyrics was needed and in 2000 the current anthem, with lyrics, was officially adopted by the supreme court. The person that decreed the need for lyrics, and ultimately decided upon the lyrics after thousands of submissions from all over Russia, was Vladimir Putin.

• Advertisement

Beautiful video.

They are singing the Russian national anthem, the language is Russian!

Here is a little fact for anyone interested - the post soviet national anthem Патриотическая Песнь Глинки (Patrioticheskaya Pesnya) had no lyrics and complaints were made to the council of state that athletes had nothing to sing during olympic games and so could not feel inspired.

The person that decreed the need for lyrics, and ultimately decided upon the lyrics after thousands of submissions from all over Russia, was Vladimir Putin.

.............................................................................................................

It seem's there are many versions of the Russian Anthem lyrics:

https://www.google.ie/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=1&cad=rja&ved=0CCcQFjAA&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.hymn.ru%2Fanthem-russia-2000-en.html&ei=3TLtUorBOu2e7AarnICwBw&usg=AFQjCNFTRfqNgDUXmzYH5iSivf3PNVy-IQ

What I did see was Vlad apparently laying out Russia's boundary - From the southern seas to the polar realm, Our forests and fields stretch. (circa 2000-2004) and how similar that bit sounded to (from California to the New York (Staten) Island) verse from "This land Is Your land, This land Is My land" a song dating from 1940.

Poor Vlad, what with the Japanese wanting The Northern Territory (Kuril) Islands back, the Muslim-majority zones of the Motherland wanting their own way and the "Fascists" in the Ukraine getting uppity about making up their own minds on deals and leadership, the pesky Gays wanting to do their own thing, he's probably happy that the Coca Cola Empire, and God, are on his side.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭Ambersky

Channel 4 Dispatches series are showing a documentary on Wed 5th Feb, thats tomorrow night, about the violence against LGBT people in Russia.
    From the trailer it seems to be quite violent so be aware it may be very upsetting. Still it seems to be an important thing that this kind of footage gets out and gets some mainstream viewing so everyone knows whats going on.

http://www.theguardian.com/world/2014/feb/01/russia-anti-gay-gang-violence-homophobic-olympics

I saw this on facebook and thought it an extreme case, but it seem's that if you're a gay teenager in Russia, and you come out and tell other teenagers of your age-group that you're gay, you are liable to arrest and interrogation for breaking the "propaganda of non-traditional sexual relations" (St Petersburg) law. http://www.gay.ru/news/rainbow/2014/02/02-28118.htm

http://frontlinedefenders.org/node/24858

• Closed Accounts Posts: 931 ✭✭✭periodictable

Have just watched "Hunted" on Channel 4 and it was I have to say a most stomach churning experience.
    http://www.channel4.com/news/gay-russian-sochi-hunting-season-we-are-the-hunted
    The situation for the LGBT population is infinitely wore that I could have imagined and similar to what it was for Jews upon the introduction of the Nuremberg Laws.
    For my part, I'd prefer to see our government put any gay marriage referendum on the back burner and instead concentrate their efforts on making it clear to the Russian government and its ambassador to Ireland that what it is doing is unacceptable and if necessary to offer asylum to Russian gays.
    What happens once the spotlight is off Russia post the winter Olympics?

Scott Lively could be considered a figure or pity and ridicule in equal measure if his poisonous bile didn't cause so much direct harm to LGBT rights.

Let's assume for a moment that the latest viral video showing gay men being beaten by neo nazis is, as he claims, a fake and part of some consipracy to do, eh, something (?) then does this also mean that the other videos that have been circulating on Russian social networks for two-ish years, and found their way to western audiences mostly during last summer, are fake also? I have lost count of how many I have seen, well over one hundred if I had to guess, but there are literally THOUSANDS of them. Are they all fake too? Was the brutal murder of Vladislav Tornovoi part of this conspiracy too?

Seriously the man is so far up his own arse at times it's a wonder he's able to articulate himself most of the time.

On a side note I am delighted that US Courts have allowed a lawsuit filed by Ugandan LGBT activists to proceed against him,

I hope they take him to the fuсking cleaners. :mad:

This wasn't (reportedly) made for sex-fun, but human ingenuity saw the possibilities..................

The Internet did a raucous hair flip and threw its hands into the air yesterday when HuffPo caught wind of the (probably not) first-ever butt plug shaped like Russian President Vladimir Putin. As expected, nearly every source that has reported the invention since has encouraged readers to “Putin your butt” or “shove Putin where he belongs,” burying the fact that this hilarious sex toy is actually not a sex toy at all — it’s a 3D object made of sandstone, a material you definitely don’t want anywhere near your rear. Graphic designer Fernando Sosa explained in a Reddit post that he made the toy with a 3D printer because he “wanted to make a voodo[o]-like doll of him so people could do whatever they wanted to Mr. Putin in the privacy of their own home.” Story sourced from Queerty...

Junior health minister Alex White is in Moscow as part of the St. Patricks Day junket. He's meeting civil rights groups, NGOs and representatives of the Russian health department and has promised to voice his concerns on LGBT rights while over there. He is also attending the Moscow St. Patricks Day parade.

• Advertisement

In the Siberian city Irkutsk a fight breaks out after a St. Patricks Day flash mob is mistaken for a pro-LGBT protest.

Some of the group, from a local language school, were wearing traditional celtic costumes including some members in kilts which were incorrectly assumed to be representatives of sexual minorities.

I wish this was a joke.

Some promising news from Russia for a change. Activist Irina Fedotova is to be paid compensation for "moral and material damages" by the Russian Ministry of Finance 5 years after she was arrested and fined in Ryazan for holding a picket sign saying "Homosexuality is normal". She was arrested in 2009 for violating the local law against homosexual propaganda among minors.

Her original fine was RUB 1,500 (€32 approx). The compensation is RUB 8,000 (about €170)

Just to be clear, this is not the national law introduced last summer, this was a regional law issued in that oblast (province) since 2006.

The case was brought to the UN and she won it :D

Article

A very serious homophobic attack on a 25 year old student was foiled last week in the city of Chelyabinsk (1,800 km east of Moscow, close to Kazakhstan border)

5 college students aged 18-22 put up a personal ad on a local forum to trap a gay respondant. They took their 25 year old victim at gunpoint out of the city to the shore of the local lake where they robbed him of the RUB 10,000 (about €200) he had on him, they then cruelly tormented him, forced him to strip naked and shot the ground next to him. The victim had a chronic medical condition and the stress of the incident caused him to have a heart attack.

Rather than get him medical assistance the students drove him to a bank and ordered him to get RUB 50,000 for them. The victim wrote 'help me I'm a hostage' on the withdrawl form and passed it to the bank manager (who knew the victim as a regular customer) ignored it and said he would 'call him back' re the money. They then took him to a second bank where again tried his SOS again. The cashier noted that the victim was pale, trembling and barely able to stand, took the note to the back room and tripped the panic alarms. Bank security guards overpowered the kidnapper that accompanied the victim into the bank (he had a Makarov pistol uner his coat) and local police quickly arrested the other 4 in the car outside.

During their interview they told the police that the money was incidental, what they really wanted was to "cleanse society of gays". They have been charged with Robbery, Extortion, Kidnapping and Illegal Occupation of a vehicle and their trial will be a closed hearing. None had any previous criminal convictions and their families have hired expensive lawyers for them.

Kp.ru article (Original source, in Russian)

QueerRussia.info article

Result today,

Maxim Martsinkevich, founder of Occupy Pedofilyay - the group known for torturing of gay teens and young men in Russia - received 5 years in prison today for 'incitement of hatred'.

The charges stem from a video filmed in Ukraine last year showing him beating a gay Iraqi man. The sentence has nothing to do with the assault or homophobic element but rather it relates to racial slurs said on screen.

Unfortunately this won't stop the group, which is now a national organisation with chapters in all major Russian cities, but his imprisonment is well deserved and long overdue.

New York Daily News

PinkNews Article

Hopefully he's got some tattoos related to fascism on his body. The odd swastika would do nicely in the current clime of nationalism in Russia. Seem's anything related to Nazism is out of favour in Russia due to the row with Kiev and it's Fascist-Nazis Brigades in the Ukraine killing ethnic Russian separatists.

• Advertisement

Result today,

Maxim Martsinkevich, founder of Occupy Pedofilyay - the group known for torturing of gay teens and young men in Russia - received 5 years in prison today for 'incitement of hatred'.

Timely thread resurrection aloyisious

This guy was released from prison in April 2017. His sentence had been cut from 5 years to 2 years 10 months. He is, so far, laying low but the occupy movement he founded has continued in his absence and is still in full swing today.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,894 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

Gay Russian singer arrested and believed tortured and murdered in Chechnya.:mad::(

Link:
    http://www.newnownext.com/zelimkhan-bakaev-chechnya-murdered-gay-purge/10/2017/

Headlines in keeping with the Chechnyan leader's statement that there are no gay people in Chechnya, call the victim Russian, adds to his status of standing up to Russia. The Russian Govt get away from blame for allowing a state within the Russian Federation murder people on a religious viewpoint of sexuality "nothing to do with us, we allow the independent states to make their own laws". Just coincidence the victim allegedly was not of traditional sexuality and probably helps keep nasty religious non-Christian fanatics from carrying out attacks within Russia itself.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,894 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

Russia is in the grip of a tyranny - Putin's tyranny. LGBT people are oppressed and discriminated against. It must be a truly horrific place for young LGBT people. It is ultra-nationalistic and deeply hostile to foreigners and ethnic minorities. Neo-nazism is flourishing in this rotten, deeply corrupt environment.

Meanwhile, ordinary Russians struggle to live day to day whilst the ultra-wealthy corrupt elite, of which Putin is a key part, basically operate a kleptocratic system. It is disgusting.

I don't see the situation for LGBT Russians improving any time soon, in fact I think it will be several decades, and probably after putrid Putin is gone, before things really improve. It's very sad.

Any attempts to hold any sort of Pride events are brutally put down by police. Delightful place.

Advertisement