Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

ibook from US

Options
  • 23-12-2005 12:14am
    Registered Users Posts: 4,523 ✭✭✭

Hi,

Am gonna be heading to New York in a few weeks for a quick break and plan to buy a ibook/powerbook there. was thinking a fully loaded 12" ibook with 3yr applecare would be better than the entry level powerbook + cheaper. am i right or mad?

anyhoo...was wondering has anyone got any advice on buying there? I heard that new jersey has a lower/no sales tax on certain goods but don't know about computers, would it be worth my while finding a mac store in NJ?

I'm gonna bring my old ibook case and post the packaging home to avoid customs but was wondering are there any other pitfalls I should be aware of.

Any advice would be appreciated

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 845 ✭✭✭sturgo

I bought a laptop in NY about 2 years ago. You should be able to get the sales tax back at the US airport. Prices are the same all over the world though.

Personally I'd go for the powerbook. Though it really depends on what you are using it for. As for the Applecare. I reckon it's a waste of money. Remember, you still have a 12 month warranty. If your hardware doesn't break down in the first year it's unlikley to give you serious trouble. (Providing you treat it well!)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,523 ✭✭✭savemejebus

i was originally going to go for the powerbook but comparing the 12" models there seemed to be too little difference to justify the extra $500.
    I looked at it like this:

*radeon 9550 vs fx 5200 - apart from the extra 32mb ram (and even with that) I can't imagine there will be much difference
    *Combodrive vs superdrive - I have a PC and and external dvd burner so that won't really matter
    *Slightly faster processor - doubt i'd see the benefit
    *Polycarbonite vs Aluminium casing - this is the biggest benefit of the ibook but I just don't know if it's worth it.

Also the ibook has 512mb ram built in while the powerbook only has 256, so in this case the ibook has more bang for buck.

Still i'm no mac expert so I don't know maybe i'm looking at it wrong

• Closed Accounts Posts: 355 ✭✭Sarunas

there are rumours that new intel ibooks are comming out at Macworld Expo(Jan 9-13). So you might want to wait.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,523 ✭✭✭savemejebus

yeah I heard that, i'll be getting it after that date anyway but would be a bit hesitant about being an early adopter of the new intel macs because iirc they will be running ppc based programes by emulation (rosetta).

Still there are also rumours of a $200 price drop which would be nice :)

Advertisement