Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Biggest waste of E129 ever

Options
2»

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,833 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

downloaded BeOS max edition today.

burned the cue file, after booting was greeted with this:

Would you like to:

1. Install
    2. Run live CD
    3. Run recovery

having selected 1, I was greeted with:

Would you like to play a game while installing?

Savage!

MYOB, are you using the yellowtab version?

No, I'm in the middle of a flamewar on BeShare with one of their engineers atm... admitedly, I've also had flamwars with the guy in charge of Max Edition in the past...

I'm still using R5.03 basically, with some random newer components; and will continue to do so until there is real competition - thats not going to come from what is basically a CD full of shareware being sold for 99 quid.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,833 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

DannyD wrote:
    256mb for an os is plain stupid. Most gfx cards come with half that for gfx processing alone.Since May 3rd Apple ships all desktops (excluding emacs) with 512mb standard.Macos X is ram hungry, ram is dirt cheap, you have no excuse.Go against the grain if you wish.

Sorry to say this, but:

Troll

The vast majority of their installed base of -supported machines- shipped with under 512MB RAM. Many of their new machines still do. The latter suggests that it should work -well- on that spec.

There is no other OS that is that RAM hungry. Even a big Linux distro with GNOME can run happily in 256MB - Sun JDS is a good example there. Windows works fine.

OS's with similar ethos's - a desktop UNIX for the general public - which would be BeOS and SGI IRIX w/Indigo - can run in 64MB happily. The latter is pretty dead now, but I'm using similarly new, similarly featured software on the former.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,419 ✭✭✭nadir

I cant wait to try haiku either.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,003 ✭✭✭rsynnott

MYOB wrote:
    Got Tiger yesterday in 3G in Blanchardstown - impulse buy.

Biggest waste of cash ever. Most overhyped upgrade of OSX so far.

In fairness, it was a rush job, and should get much better when the incremental updates start. There's a lot that was rushed and left out of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,163 ✭✭✭ZENER

I installed Tiger on a G4 Powermac and it refused to install with my PowerLogix 1.2GHz CPU installed. Replacing this with the original 733 cured the problem but I haven't yet re-installed the 1.2GHz unit to see if Tiger will run with it now it's installed.

Aside from my dissappointment that it would not - in fact - be 23 degrees in Dublin the next day (because the widget decided I lived in Dublin Newhampshire, USA !!!) I'm happy with the performance overall and the extra features are nice, I particularly like Grapher which it superb and will be very useful to me on my course.

The dictionary also is handy to have available without needing to start Office for an explanation and there is a noticeable difference in SMB/CIFS performance and network speed in general.

As someone said though it's probably better to describe it as a "Service Pack" than a new OS. But I'm still happy to have paid for it considering the apps that come included . . oh and the new desktop images are prettier :)

There are numerous little improvements that on their own don't amount to much but together they make for a more harmonious experience.

ZEN

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭DrNuyenVanFaulk

MYOB wrote:
    The vast majority of their installed base of -supported machines- shipped with under 512MB RAM. Many of their new machines still do. The latter suggests that it should work -well- on that spec.

There is no other OS that is that RAM hungry. Even a big Linux distro with GNOME can run happily in 256MB - Sun JDS is a good example there. Windows works fine.

dude, no way in hell you can run XP comfortably on 256 unless you have all the extra features turned off and you're doing basic wordprocessing / net browsing on it.

I ran W2K SP4 (which, I must say, is one of if not the most stable OS I've ever used) on 64Mb RAM, and while it never ever crashed, it crawwwwwled. Then I ran it on 256 RAM..... crawwwwwwled. XP crawwwwwled also. And now, on 512, it crawwwwwwls.

I'm going to upgrade my arse 512 SDram to high-spec 1gig DDR ram. I only use my PC for games and it needs good ram.

So, yes, OSX should definitely need at least 512. What with all the extra widgets (literally!) =)

I've been running XP comfortably on 160 for a long time. I don't use Microsoft software, that might explain it... I also don't have the tellytubby theme turned on, or the double-width start menu, or any of the other ****e that stops it being 2K.

I also have a machine thats spyware and crapware free. Having any of that sort of stuff will make it crawl, and thats more than likely whats wrong with your box. An antivirus scanner also makes an XP machine crawl....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,264 ✭✭✭RicardoSmith

Same here. I've a few older machines I look after for people with a spec of PII 400mhz with 192 running XP fine. Again all the themes, effects, shadows etc are turned off and it runs fine. Again they are all virus free and protected. Perfectly usable. Used for Office, web email etc. Normal user stuff. Better then W2K with the same amount of RAM in my opinion. More stable too IMO.

DrNuyenVanFaulk - So your machine crawwwwwlll no matter how much RAM. Maybe its not the machine thats the problem but how its configured. Do you run Norton. If you do that could be your problem. I run AVG with no speed or Virus issues.

• Registered Users Posts: 927 ✭✭✭lotas

A friend of mine runs XP on his laptop with 256mb ram with all the extras on it, and it works grand. and he does photoshop stuff a lot on it. no problems with it. i did dev work on a 256mb laptop (simular spec to my friends) for about 2 weeks and it worked grand too. when i upgraded to 768mb, it went a LOT faster, but 256 does work. i know quite a few people with only 256mb in their boxes.

DrNuyenVanFaulk - So your machine crawwwwwlll no matter how much RAM.

That was my frickin' point! I had just said that there's no way you could run it comfortably with all the extras on. That includes the Fisher-Price graphics set, lovely desktop pictures, anti-virus software, and the rest! Yes, I'm well aware that if you whittle XP down to it's W2K basis it runs faster, and what spyware and anti-virus software does. But on 256, all you can do is write letters and check e-mails.

And no, my machine does not have spyware or viruses on it. But windows is such a popular piece of crap that it's suicide to have a permenant internet connection without some sort of permenant firewall/anti-virus software on it. I've had PCs destroyed (even the hardware destroyed) by viruses, so running XP sin anti-virus software is not an option. it's unrealistic. It's a damn neccessity. And that's why it's a pain in the ass having low RAM!!

And, just for the record, anti-virus software that constantly scans your system's activity does not greatly affect a PC's speed because of how much RAM it uses. It sucks processing power more than anything. And what limits THAT speed is not so much your processor, but the order of the algorithm used such software.

And in keeping with the thread's subject... Tiger rocks, XP sucks!

• Advertisement

As for doing Photoshop on a laptop with 256 RAM: yeah, I've done the same. And it works, but it's very slow and boring.

No offense but TBH I think the point you are making (badly) is a bad workman blames his tools.

"Biggest waste of E129 ever" ... how is that "Tiger rocks, XP sucks!"... :confused:

No offense but TBH I think the point you are making (badly) is a bad workman blames his tools.

"Biggest waste of E129 ever" ... how is that "Tiger rocks, XP sucks!"... :confused:

WTF!?!? I'm not saying anythign about a workman!!! I'm saying that W2K upwards needs more than 256Mb so one can run it comfortably and avail of all of its utilities. That's all!

And, BTW (since you're so fond of reducing words to letters), saying "Tiger rocks, XP sucks" is keeping in line with the topic. The topic is about Tiger, being bad. This is a discussion forum. We discuss and argue topics, not agree foolishly to any statement made. My statement disagrees with the topic statment. I am far from confused. So STFUYA.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,003 ✭✭✭rsynnott

WTF!?!? I'm not saying anythign about a workman!!! I'm saying that W2K upwards needs more than 256Mb so one can run it comfortably and avail of all of its utilities. That's all!

Nonsense. When I have to run Windows, I do so on a 256mb laptop. SQL Server and Enterprise Manager and Visual Studio. It's quite happy with those...

....STFUYA.
    (Shut the **** Up You Asshole)

:rolleyes: obviously its too technical for the rest of us.

Wow! You're so clever for figuring it out and telling everyone. Thank god you're so smart otherwise we'd all be reading incomprehensible strings of letters!! =)

I'm just kidding. no agro. =)

No problem, its just that stringing letters together to form words is the way I've always done it. No need to be abusive because you find acronyms incomprehensible.

Ha ha ha!! I never said they were incomprehensible!
    So, what, like, are you a Mac user? Or are you another member of the flat-earth-society come to beat down on a superior OS?

Ha ha ha!! I never said they were incomprehensible!
    So, what, like, are you a Mac user? Or are you another member of the flat-earth-society come to beat down on a superior OS?

You know, its stuff like this that made me not want to ever touch a Macintosh again. Its not justified now, and when comparing OS 9.1 to Windows 2000 back in the day, it was plain lies.

....incomprehensible strings of letters...

Odd..Must be the way you're stringing those letters together to form words. If you don't find them incomprehensible why mention it at all? Why say the're incomprehensible in the first place?

I am a use of all types of OS and hardware including Mac's. However what was interesting in this thread was a discussion of the new OS X version and BeOS. Not your inaccurate and vague posting about OS X > XP. Which has no interest to me. I (along with others) only corrected you that XP runs fine on 256 if optimized correctly. Thats different to having "all the extras" (whatever that vague comment means) turned off. The fact that your W2K machine crawls no matter what ram configuration would suggest, that it isn't optimised correctly.

As MYOB posted. Its typical on Mac threads. Theres always one who starts off with Mac > Windows then ends up that the user had problems with Windows, and still has problems with the Mac. Like not being able to optimise its RAM usage. Hence the analogy of the workman. Maybe that conclusion is incorrect, but if so, apologies but your posts give that impression.

• Advertisement

the reason I have to state that the Mac OS is superior is because I'm tired of listening to PC AND (rogue) Mac users complain about Apple's products. But, with my experience, the only thing I can say is that if you're happy with what you use, then that's great. All my friends have Windows machines and they're very happy with them. Fine by me. I become very annoyed when PC users criticse Macs when they have rarely if ever used them. It's a completely illogical concept, that someone can state that something is bad, while another says it is good. It's a disagreement that means absolutely nothing, because in both cases the statements are true (relative to one's personal experience). So there is no point in arguing. Okay, I won't point soggy fingers at anyone's OS. But likewise people should not criticise an OS, and, in reference to the topic, one cannot justify the upgrade to Tiger being a waste, as many will find it very beneficial. The topic should actually read, "Personnaly, I found the upgrade to be a waste of money because it did nothing for me that made my computing experience any better, or at least better to the extent that did not justify the expenditure of E129, in which case it was not a waste of E129, but [E129 - E(what true benefits I got out of it, in monetary terms)].

The reason my W2K machine crawls is NOT because I do not have it optimised. I DO have it optimised (plain desktop, few colours, no fancy graphics, indexing turned off, a perfectly regulated, healthy machine). The reason it crawls is because the OS automatically takes up almost 100Mb of RAM. Share that between Office, Firefox, Photoshop, and you're at a limit. Yes, they are RAM hungry programmes. But my point was you need more RAM because of this! Again, for the third time (no, you didn't "correct" me about this because I agreed with you already), you could run XP fine on 192 Mb if you were file browsing, word processing, internet browsing. But for other users, like me, of which there are very many, 256Mb of RAM would give you a very slow and painful experience of XP. Even for OS 9, I found 512 neccessary. I imagine OS X to be the same.

Also, Windows will generally run slower because anti-virus software is a definite for safe computing. This is my biggest criticism of windows. I know Linux and, now, OS X, are not impenetrable. But right now I find them more enjoyable to use because of the lack of hacker threat. Whether Windows is so vulnerable more because of its popularity or structure is a different debate. Either way, I[/] hate it.

os for OS 9 vs. W2K: As stable as W2K was, it was still windows. Same arse-ache, different ways of doing it. OS 9 wasn't as stable (by a slight amount), but the experience was infinitely better..... I found.

Your analogy with the workman is flawed. If the OS is deemed to be like a workman, why would a workman be desgined to carry 12 bricks if he can really only 6? Perhaps he was not given something to carry them with properly? That's where the RAM comes in. The OS isn't flawed, it may just require more memory for extra features. (yeah, "extra features" are all the graphical flaunts, indexing services, and all that... you should know very well what I meant by that, since we were talking about scaling down the OS).

.... now look at what you made me type!! I'm supposed to be studying!! =)

You'd wouldn't like my OS 7.5 machine running word, photoshop with 12mb of ram then. The workman in the analogy is not the OS.
    Actually, I have a PC laptop that runs XP Pro on 256 RAM and it's painful. ....

Whereas you should have posted something along the lines of ..."I'm inappropriately running too many ram intensive apps on a machine with an insufficent amount of physical ram and even though I know its because I don't have enough ram I'm going to complain about Windows, rather then discuss the issue at hand which is the latest version of OS X...."

Again I had to use letters. Sorry.

Again I had to use letters. Sorry.

Oh Ha Ha!!
    The workman in the analogy is not the OS.
    QUOTE]

Well, sorry, but judging from your ambiguous posts, that's what it seemed like you were saying (rather badly). And I'm not being sarcastic here, just honest. You blatantly said that I was trying to say that a bad workman blames his tools, which could mean (a) the user doesn't know how to use his/her computer properly, or (b) the OS doesn't know how to use the RAM properly.

So what DID you mean?
    rather then discuss the issue at hand which is the latest version of OS X...
    QUOTE]

Twice already I've tried to referred back to OSX.... even if it was by saying it was better than XP.

And what does "inappropriately" running too many RAM intensive apps mean? Sorry for not being rich and not being able to buy RAM whenever I feel like it. Since you're running OS 7.5.... (7.5.1?? Wonderful OS. Many happy memories... =) Cut my teeth with photoshop on a 33Mhz Performa with the same RAM! =)...... maybe you know about not being able to upgrade willy-nilly! =)

Too many smiley faces. I run what I can with what I have.

Look, this is ridiculous. My original point has been totally obscured. Greedy people like me who don't like to skimp in a systems abilities like plenty of RAM. In my opinion, I would like at least a gig of DDR2 RAM. And some people like yourself like to make do with what you have, and manage very well.

Can we agree on that!?

• Registered Users Posts: 30 dazmoriarty

Lads,

Saw some discussion of BeOS and where it's at. Well I was a devotee since the late 90s with version 4 onwards and cannot speak more highly of it.

If you are interested on it's current state, then here's the skinny in bullets:

* BeOS tragically died around 2000 sometime, when Be shifted away from the OS as product in itself. Pure Greek tragedy that was.
    * All is not lost however. Around about 2002, a German developer, Yellowtab, somehow gained the rights to continue development of it from the 'Dano' code onwards.
    * Yellowtab renamed their 'fork' Zeta and have currently reached version 1.1. While it is still for most people not much more than BeOS 5.03, it has been improved in many ways, and if you read Osnews.com regularly, it has a bright future.
    * The speed and beauty of the former BeOS is still there and hardware compatibility increases every day.
    * One drawback - Zeta costs about €99.
    * The opensource Haiku is/will be free, but is some ways from a formal release.

Keep your eyes on www.yellowtab.com for details.

BeOS is dead! Long live (cough) Zeta!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,142 ✭✭✭TempestSabre

Always thought it was a cool OS but unfortunately I never had a good reason to use it.

Advertisement