Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best place to buy suit in Cork?

Options
  • 31-08-2014 2:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 300 ✭✭

I'm on a budget of about a 150 euro. Any place that is good to deal with, good quality etc for that price?

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,655 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

Try M&S or Next.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,555 ✭✭✭Roger Hassenforder

• Registered Users Posts: 19,351 ✭✭✭✭Harry Angstrom

Dunnes Stores.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,032 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Charity shops ftw.

Do your due diligence when checking it out - stains/smells, wear (cuffs, outside and inside of pockets, bottom of trousers). Try the suit on, reach for the sky, hug yourself, squat down (if tight anywhere, don't buy).

Have it dry-cleaned if you're a bit freaked, but know that some suits in charity shops have been donated by dry-cleaners after they have not been collected after x weeks/months. If it has a drycleaning tag (or often many tags - even better...) then you are probably good to go... Just refrain from telling people where you bought it/how much (little) it cost when they admire your lovely suit! :). Unless you dgaf about what people think (this is the way forward, imo). Average price, last time I checked, €25-30. If you can afford to wait, and check all the local charity shops, you can sometimes get a Hugo Boss suit for less than €50.

If buying new, do all of the above fitting/stretching things before buying, and if the cuffs/trousers are too long, ask the retailer if they can have this fixed for you. They may refer you to a local alterations service. Otherwise, you should be able to find a good alterations service yourself. Not many things look worse than an ill-fitting suit.

Not your ornery onager

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

Best place to buy a suit in Cork (according to the men in my life) is Tony's Menswear on Marlboro street. They do the small bit of tailoring on all the suits when you buy them to make sure they fit perfectly. Makes all the difference, nothing looks as good as a well-fitting suit.

It's all any of them ever want for birthday pressies... Vouchers for that place.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,451 ✭✭✭CharlieCroker

Simply Suits behind Smyth's toys on Kinsale Rd. Got my wedding suits there, fully tailored for less than if I'd rented them.

The lads are great, very personal service.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,638 ✭✭✭Milly33

was just going to say Dunnes my dad got a fab suit in there recently for around €70 and he would be a hard fit, there or debanams sales

• Registered Users Posts: 2,452 ✭✭✭SomeFool

Faith wrote: »
    Try M&S or Next.

Another vote for M&S!

• Registered Users Posts: 624 ✭✭✭Crasp

Try zara in mahon point, good looking suits there. Can mix and match with a cheaper shirt from elsewhere. H&M have good shoes for cheap also.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,671 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manach

A good balance between cost / style, M&S gets my vote as well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,699 ✭✭✭Bacchus

M&S have nice suits alright PLUS they have a sale on at the moment, 20% off. Nearly got one at the weekend, nice jacket but pants were too loose fitting on me.

Sorry to hijack the thread slightly but does anyone know what Salingers charge for their tailoring? I guess it depends on the materials used but it'd be nice to know a ballpark figure before walking in, asking, and then promptly walking out trying to contain the shock of how expensive they are... if they are expensive that is, I've no idea.

Advertisement