Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Hidden Lake, Ballina/Killaloe, County Clare

• 05-08-2014 7:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3

Does anybody know where the "blue lagoon" in the kilaloe/ballina area is? Any directions would be much appreciated :):)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,127 ✭✭✭✭kerry4sam

sarah332 wrote: »
    Does anybody know where the "blue lagoon" in the kilaloe/ballina area is? Any directions would be much appreciated :):)

Thread moved from our Travel 'Things to do in' forum to the Clare forum where it would be better suited as it is localised.

Thanks,
    kerry4sam

• Registered Users Posts: 477 ✭✭blowin3

I was there once many years ago. If you find out where the slate quarries are and its there. Its an old mine shaft that was flooded and divers use it for practice. My memories is head out of Ballina for Nenagh and its up there some where along that road. But it is pure blue water and you can swim there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,585 ✭✭✭✭Lady Chatterton

It appears to be in Portroe (just outside Ballina).

Just found these on You Tube

Fair dues MrsD thats the one on Youtube. Its up a country rd where the slate quarries are. I am sure a sat.nav should get you there but its well known in the area.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 186 ✭✭999/112

blowin3 wrote: »
    I was there once many years ago. If you find out where the slate quarries are and its there. Its an old mine shaft that was flooded and divers use it for practice. My memories is head out of Ballina for Nenagh and its up there some where along that road. But it is pure blue water and you can swim there.

I think you may be referring to Portroe Quarry.
    https://www.google.ie/maps?q=52.862611,-8.358547&num=1&t=h&z=18
    A while since I have been there. If memory serves me correct, one can be dived to a depth of 38 meters, the other to a depth of somewhere between 40 & 50 meters???
    Used to go there in the winter, when the sea was rough, my god it was cold! :eek:

Mrs D007 has even added video clips while I was searching google maps for the location ..... you have loads of info now!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

but is it suitable for swimming? a flooded mine shaft sounds a bit dodgy

anyone test the water for cleanliness etc?

I swam in it and no I would not say its safe stick to life guarded beaches if that is your worry. But one thing I do know the water was damn cold. No I doubt anyone tested it as it would not be a recommend swimming spot and don't think divers worry to much about such things .

fryup wrote: »

Only for experienced divers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,426 ✭✭✭Neon_Lights

fryup wrote: »

Have swam in it... never had any adverse affects .. the only thing i would say is there is a big ledge you can jump off if youre brave enough and a narrow margin between shallow and deep water

kerry4sam wrote: »
    Thread moved from our Travel 'Things to do in' forum to the Clare forum where it would be better suited as it is localised.

Thanks,
    kerry4sam

Its actually in tipperary... d'oh

• Advertisement

Its actually in tipperary... d'oh
    Yes, it's in Tipperary but it's not far from the Clare border. Killaloe & Ballina are twin towns with many businesses on the Tipp side choosing to use the Clare address for marketing purposes and to avoid confusion with the Ballina in Co. Mayo.

MrsD007 wrote: »
    Yes, it's in Tipperary but it's not far from the Clare border. Killaloe & Ballina are twin towns with many businesses on the Tipp side choosing to use the Clare address for marketing purposes and to avoid confusion with the Ballina in Co. Mayo.

I know i lived there for 5 years.... sigh ....but the blue lagoon is firmly in tipperary... its nearly nenagh

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,143 ✭✭✭locum-motion

MrsD007 wrote: »
    ...with many businesses on the Tipp side choosing to use the Clare address ... to avoid confusion with the Ballina in Co. Mayo.

Surely 'Ballina, Co. Clare' and 'Ballina, Co. Tipperary' are both equally likely to be confused with 'Ballina, Co. Mayo', aren't they?

As in, 'not-very-likely-unless-someone-isn't-paying-atttention-or-is-really-thick'!

Surely 'Ballina, Co. Clare' and 'Ballina, Co. Tipperary' are both equally likely to be confused with 'Ballina, Co. Mayo', aren't they?

As in, 'not-very-likely-unless-someone-isn't-paying-atttention-or-is-really-thick'!

Write a 600 word essay on how the irish postal service being non privatised makes it a paradigm of intelligent civil servants and efficiency

Sort of thought the same myself but I did not want to annoy MrsD :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,543 ✭✭✭A2LUE42

I grew up there and one day after crossing the bridge and just before Molly's pub a car stopped and asked where Lough Derg was. I thought they were joking. I looked over my shoulder and indicated that the lake was the watery substance between the hills. They then asked where holy island was. Told them that Mountshannon would be the best place to arrange a boat out to the island.

They seemed surprised and asked about the pilgrimages to the island and how regular the boats were and showed me the leaflet they had

Ugh.. Penny dropped ... They are looking for the one in Donegal. They were well and truely in the wrong place.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,143 ✭✭✭locum-motion

Write a 600 word essay on how the irish postal service being non privatised makes it a paradigm of intelligent civil servants and efficiency

Although I live in Ennis, I'm a native of Blackrock, Co. Louth. (Note I did not say "Blackrock, Dundalk", for Blackrock is not in Dundalk) There are (at least) 3 other Blackrocks in Ireland, the 2 best known of which are in Cork and Dublin. It is not uncommon for envelopes addressed to "Blackrock, Co. Louth" to arrive eventually with other handwriting saying 'Not Cork' or 'Not Dublin' or even both on them. Then sometimes there are also stickers from An Post saying "Delay caused by incomplete postal address - Please use 'Blackrock, Dundalk, Co Louth'"

To which the natural reaction is - of course - an exasperated shout of "But Blackrock is not IN Dundalk and it phucking says Co Louth right there on the envelope, you incompetent baxtards"

[Less than 600 words, but that's all you're getting]

No not really.

They use the address - Ballina, Killaloe, Co. Clare so there is no confusion.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 4,621 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr. G

Although I live in Ennis, I'm a native of Blackrock, Co. Louth. (Note I did not say "Blackrock, Dundalk", for Blackrock is not in Dundalk) There are (at least) 3 other Blackrocks in Ireland, the 2 best known of which are in Cork and Dublin. It is not uncommon for envelopes addressed to "Blackrock, Co. Louth" to arrive eventually with other handwriting saying 'Not Cork' or 'Not Dublin' or even both on them. Then sometimes there are also stickers from An Post saying "Delay caused by incomplete postal address - Please use 'Blackrock, Dundalk, Co Louth'"

To which the natural reaction is - of course - an exasperated shout of "But Blackrock is not IN Dundalk and it phucking says Co Louth right there on the envelope, you incompetent baxtards"

[Less than 600 words, but that's all you're getting]

Makes no sense.

A lot of our post has those stickers on them with Ennis written onto them. I don't live in Ennis (not near it either), yet we have to put it on it. Don't understand why, but you will find An Post will put it on your address if you go to find an address on their website.
    For example, if you put an address in for Ennistymon, you will come back with Ennis at the end of the address. I don't get it :D

Mr. G wrote: »
    Makes no sense.

A lot of our post has those stickers on them with Ennis written onto them. I don't live in Ennis (not near it either), yet we have to put it on it. Don't understand why, but you will find An Post will put it on your address if you go to find an address on their website.
    For example, if you put an address in for Ennistymon, you will come back with Ennis at the end of the address. I don't get it :D
    I think it's because all the post comes through the Ennis Mail Centre in the Gort Road first. In Killaloe, our post comes from Limerick Mail Centre so occasionally we'll have Limerick stickers on our letters.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 80 ✭✭Drop the Ball

There is no Post office in Ballina, the local post office is in Killaloe hence Ballina, Killaloe, Co.Clare is the official "postal" address.

Just know which county your are in at any one time and you won't piss off any locals ;):);)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

There is no Post office in Ballina, the local post office is in Killaloe hence Ballina, Killaloe, Co.Clare is the official "postal" address.

Just know which county your are in at any one time and you won't piss off any locals ;):);)

Or just refer to it as Limerick, and you will unite the locals on both sides of the bridge. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,785 ✭✭✭killwill

Some Ballina families actually use Ballina, Nenagh, Co. Tipperary as they refuce to have Killaloe on it!!!!!
    ANd as said above the only reason for having Killaloe on the Ballina addresses is simply because there is no post office in Ballina.
    Some use Ballina, Killaloe, Co. Tipperary too. The county they use is irrelevant as it gets there all the same.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 776 ✭✭✭Fries-With-That

The towns land of Cloneybrien, Portroe, Co Tipperary has a postal address of Cloneybrien Killaloe. I think the slate quarry also had a postal address of Killoran Killaloe,this would be why people would think the area was part of Co Clare.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 sarah332

Thanks for all your replies😀 but i still cant find this lagoon😕.... can anyone give more detailed directions at all??

Thanks for all your replies😀 but i still cant find this lagoon😕.... can anyone give more detailed directions at all??
    Have you got a sat nav? Do you see link for Google maps showing the exact location on this tread. If you can't find it with all that information I am lost as well.:rolleyes:

https://www.google.ie/maps?q=52.862611,-8.358547&num=1&t=h&z=18
    ;)

The towns land of Cloneybrien, Portroe, Co Tipperary has a postal address of Cloneybrien Killaloe. I think the slate quarry also had a postal address of Killoran Killaloe,this would be why people would think the area was part of Co Clare.

The slate quarried here was known as "Killaloe slate". [I think]
    I am also lead to believe it was pleasing to the eye and weathered the elements very well.

Not sure on this, but I think it may have been exported [via the river Shannon] to other countries ..... maybe some local can confirm this???

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 776 ✭✭✭Fries-With-That

999/112 wrote: »
    The slate quarried here was known as "Killaloe slate". [I think]
    I am also lead to believe it was pleasing to the eye and weathered the elements very well.

Not sure on this, but I think it may have been exported [via the river Shannon] to other countries ..... maybe some local can confirm this???

I don't know about other countries but this is an interesting link.

http://www.slateearth.com/section653292.html

• Advertisement
Advertisement