Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

17 and looking for insurance on a bora... It's crazy...

• 02-05-2014 12:36am
    Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭

So i've got a provisional license and 3.3k to spend.

Axa quoted me 5660€ on a 1.4 Bora.
    Campinion quoted me 4300€.

Other quotes I remember are 4500, 4000...

I heard asgard is supposed to be the best but they're not currently taking any more policies because something happened?

Anyone know where I should look?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,477 ✭✭✭newbie2

At a 1.0l car I think

• Registered Users Posts: 373 ✭✭Spike Witwicky

Id look at getting a different car. Thats stupid money for a 1.4 Bora.

If you still want to do it i'd look at brokers and see if they can get you a better deal but on that car at your age it will be expensive

Get something a granny would drive for cheap insurance :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,925 ✭✭✭GvidoR

You can try

1) Getting full licence
    2) Going on a policy as a named driver
    3) Looking up as much insurance companies / brokers you can and call them all for a quote
    4) Look into getting another car

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,844 ✭✭✭Snake

You'll get nothing cheaper on a 1.4, your age and lack of experience is the problem, you wouldn't be trusted to drive anything but a 0.9 - 1.0, even go with a 1.1 and you'll be hammered get someone to let you as a named driver build up your experience take your lessons and get your full licence when you're 18, the premium will drop then

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭Frolt

The thing is I wouldn't mind paying 3,000 or 3,500... The only stupid insurance I can find for 3,500 is BoxyMo which limits your miles and I'll need to get to college next year so it's kind of stupid...

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Frolt wrote: »
    The thing is I wouldn't mind paying 3,000 or 3,500... The only stupid insurance I can find for 3,500 is BoxyMo which limits your miles and I'll need to get to college next year so it's kind of stupid...

It's partly because it's a bora, it's the current car of choice for boy racers

Look at something like a yaris or a micra and see what quotes you get

• Registered Users Posts: 585 ✭✭✭ShaunieVW

As a VW head I can tell you to avoid 1.4 boras and mk4 golfs at all costs. Awful engine. Actually avoid 90% of boras, Feltspeccers have them ruined and think they are worth a fortune.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,152 ✭✭✭✭KERSPLAT!

My first insurance was €3,200 almost 10 years ago :( almost twice what my car was worth

Look at 1.0l cars that aren't known as boy racer cars, it should come down a little

Just tried to get a quote on a 98 micra on Axxa, the premium only went down by 600...

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Just tried to get a quote on a 98 micra on Axxa, the premium only went down by 600...

add a named driver like your mother?

• Advertisement

Stheno wrote: »
    add a named driver like your mother?

It's on axa's drivesafe thing

It's on axa's drivesafe thing

try it without drivesafe?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,985 ✭✭✭✭dgt

Go for something the cool boyos don't have, that's probably the only option to cheaper insurance...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,532 ✭✭✭JohnBoy26

The best thing you could do imo is to start out as a named driver on your parents car. Get your full license and build up a year's named driver experience. You will then likely get a more reasonable quote for your own insurance, mind you it still won't be cheap but it won't be silly like the quotes your currently getting either.

I'm only saving around 500€ going from a Bora to a Micra no matter what insurance company I try. Guess I'll just ring around and hope I land somewhere between 3,000 and 3,500€

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,446 ✭✭✭brenak47

Id pick another car and get a few quotes just to see but i bet it is the fact that its a bora as there everywhere now and thats why insurance companys go mad on them.It was civics a few years back.My first car insurance on a 1.3 colt at 25 with prov was 2500 and i had spent 8 years on bikes before that but it didn't matter.First time is always the highest.My second year on it dropped to 1200.A full licence will make a big difference.

I'm only saving around 500€ going from a Bora to a Micra no matter what insurance company I try. Guess I'll just ring around and hope I land somewhere between 3,000 and 3,500€

Did you say "I'm only saving 500 euro"?? Just because they'll quote you doesn't mean they'll insure you either mate, just a heads up!

I know it sucks and i hate suggesting it but something like dgt said. Something considered not cool by your mates. you'll love it more to spite them
    Get a black one and put on a nice set of wheels. Instant cool right there. :)

Can't be arsed starting a new thread, so while we're talking about insurance, if I got bike insurance and used that for a bit, building up a no claims bonus, does that count towards car insurance?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,846 ✭✭✭Moneymaker

I don't get the obsession with Bora's. They aren't a good car imo.

Stick with a 1.0 til you get a full licence and a years driving under your belt. It sucks but everyone has to do it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,675 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

OP if I were you I'd go under your parents name for a few years and try and get your full license in the meantime.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,930 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

Can't be arsed starting a new thread, so while we're talking about insurance, if I got bike insurance and used that for a bit, building up a no claims bonus, does that count towards car insurance?

no, not in Ireland as far as I'm aware anyway

I'd go under my dads name or even mothers name it's just the quotes are nearly the exact same under their name as it is under mine? any reasons for that, this is on the Bora by the way.

, this is on the Bora by the way.

I think that's the problem.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,330 ✭✭✭readytosnap

The Bora, the inexperience, the provisional and possibly the address.

Thought this sounded familiar. Did you think the answers would change 3rd time around OP?

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showt...php?p=89626317

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showt...php?p=89866761

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,670 ✭✭✭quadrifoglio verde

I'd go under my dads name or even mothers name it's just the quotes are nearly the exact same under their name as it is under mine? any reasons for that, this is on the Bora by the way.

Insurers have copped on. They're not stupid you know when you ring up looking to insure the car in Daddy's name.
    At first some young people get away with it. Then all of a sudden their stats show that for some reason theres loads of bora's and passats registered to 45 year old males and a surprising larger proportion than normal have had been involved in accidents with the named driver being behind the wheel.
    This results in the insurer deciding if they want to be named drivers on car x, they can pay a hefty fee for the privilege.

As others have said try other cars. Cars that are less likely to be drove by people your age. Alfas, Saabs, volvos spring to mind :cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,754 ✭✭✭oldyouth

Yeah but that was a '98 micra you tried. Try one around 10 years old and it should be significantly lower

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

Ah yes, I remember it well. I bought a 1.2l Punto at the age of 19. Car was €3,000. Insurance was €3,300.

The only way around this is to find the most unappealing car with the smallest engine available. Once you've a no claims bonus behind you things will improve dramatically. Drive something rancid for a year or two.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,537 ✭✭✭Arthur Beesley

Ah yes, I remember it well. I bought a 1.2l Punto at the age of 19. Car was €3,000. Insurance was €3,300.

The only way around this is to find the most unappealing car with the smallest engine available. Once you've a no claims bonus behind you things will improve dramatically. Drive something rancid for a year or two.

Something like a Punto... :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

Something like a Punto... :)

Hehe, yeah but even at that the 1.2l engine isn't ideal. If I was starting again I'd be looking for something even smaller to get the ball rolling. In my first 4 years of car ownership I spent around €10,000 on insurance. Young and stupid.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭ash23

My first car was a daewoo matiz, 800cc. Tin can on wheels. I was 23, female and had named driver experience. I was on a provisional.

My insurance was 1800. The following year I had passed my test, increased to a 1.6 engine and was paying 300.

All you can really do op is choose a small car, pass your test and build up experience.

ash23 wrote: »
    My first car was a daewoo matiz, 800cc. Tin can on wheels. I was 23, female and had named driver experience. I was on a provisional.

My insurance was 1800. The following year I had passed my test, increased to a 1.6 engine and was paying 300.

All you can really do op is choose a small car, pass your test and build up experience.

Are you still female?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 592 ✭✭✭JC01

Any way you can go under someone else for the first year so you can get a years no claims experience and your full? I don't see the point in getting a poxy micra or that for the sake of saving 500e and still paying thousands for insurance

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,237 ✭✭✭✭djimi

JC01 wrote: »
    Any way you can go under someone else for the first year so you can get a years no claims experience and your full? I don't see the point in getting a poxy micra or that for the sake of saving 500e and still paying thousands for insurance

With the right car the OP will be saving a lot more than €500. Something like a 04 Yaris would be cheaper to insure than a 15 year old Micra.

The problem is simply that Boras have a reputation. Same problem that a 17 year old would have had insuring a late 90s 1.4 Civic a few years ago; we all know that they are not exactly performance cars, but the insurance profile says that they are high risk.

IMO there is no point in throwing thousands down the drain to insure something like a Bora at 17. A couple of years experience and NCB coupled with a full license would see the OP probably save a few grand which they can put towards buying something decent when they are in a position to insure it realistically.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,046 ✭✭✭Bio Mech

Are you still female?

It doesn't matter anymore with the new insurance rules. Male, female, hermaphrodite. Its all the same in the brave new world.

Bio Mech wrote: »
    It doesn't matter anymore with the new insurance rules. Male, female, hermaphrodite. Its all the same in the brave new world.

:eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,944 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

I'm afraid you're the victim of several things OP:

- male
    - provisional license
    - want to insure a car that's seen as "high risk" in the above categories (ie: boy-racer mobile)

Get something smaller, build a year or two of clean driving experience and then change

Advertisement