Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

"Staff logistics"...

Options
  • 25-04-2014 9:26am
    Registered Users Posts: 17

I work in a well-known retailer in Ireland. This week, I was scheduled to work Sunday (the 27th) - On the Thursday (24th), I was sent an email from my manager saying, due to "staff logistics", the roster was to be changed and I as taken off the Sunday shift.

Here are the facts:

- I have not been given any warning, formal or informal, about my performance in work and how it could lead to me being removed from any shift.

- The only communication prior to this was a missed call from my manager on the Tuesday, and a text that read "please call back when you can...". I called back no less than five minutes later, and got no answer or call back.

- I replied to the email, asking for why I was taken off, and received no reply. It has been over 48 hours. "Staff logistics" is cover-all doublespeak and I do not consider it a legitimate reason.

- I will be leaving the job on May 4th.

- I have observed this same pattern of behaviour before in the store (changing shifts, cutting down hours without formal warnings), being done to other employees.

- The standard of my work declined from a high level to passable in the past week. I have grown tired of the job and am looking forward to leaving and basically, am no longer arsed working at a high level. Saying that, the work I do is very far from poor. But to emphasise the above, no communication, no warning was given about this and how it would affect my shifts.

Here are some questions I have:

- Am I entitled to get paid/work on the Sunday?

- Am I entitled to challenge this decision or is the management entitled to do as it likes?

- Should I go above his head to HR? Or even further?

After two years in the job, I certainly feel quite disrespected and tbh, upset at this ordeal. The lack of communication is the most frustrating aspect.

Any help is much appreciated.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,824 ✭✭✭vitani

How many days a week do you usually work?

• Registered Users Posts: 17 Conorregan88

It varies, but generally 2-4 days a week.

• Registered Users Posts: 521 ✭✭✭yoke

you're not really going 'over your manager's head' when going to HR, unless your manager reports to HR for some strange reason.

What you're really doing by going to HR is making a complaint to someone who is paid to ensure your manager has an easier time staffing his/her team, and that staff problems are kept to a minimum.

Individual personalities notwithstanding (or unless you have a friendship with the HR person), it's unlikely that a regular HR employee would fight for a weaker party in this type of scenario - it's of no benefit to them to rock the boat.

If you really want to go over your manager's head, then go to your manager's boss, or someone further up his reporting line. If none of them want to listen to you, then a solicitor is your only real option, and if your solicitor doesn't think you can win, then you have very few viable options.

That's how I see it anyway.

-Sam

• Registered Users Posts: 2,017 ✭✭✭blindsider

Have you been given a 'replacement' shift? What does you contract say re hours p.w?

I think you may have to live with this one TBH - you're leaving in 2 weeks, and you're now bottom of the priority list.

P/t retail staff are often badly treated in Ireland. Hopefully your next job will be better.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,288 ✭✭✭pow wow

"Staff logistics" is cover-all doublespeak and I do not consider it a legitimate reason.

Staff logistics also covers a myriad of legitimate reasons why a roster would need to be changed, some of which you wouldn't necessarily be privvy to as an employee, particularly if they are due to the needs of colleagues. I'm not saying they couldn't have given you more notice, but don't assume it's because you're leaving that they had to change a roster.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 37,295 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

- Am I entitled to challenge this decision or is the management entitled to do as it likes?
    What is the minimum amount of hours they are have to give you, as per your contract, and have they given you them? If so, I don't think you have much to complain about.
    - I will be leaving the job on May 4th.

- Should I go above his head to HR? Or even further?
    Has there been any other trouble? If not, perhaps keep the head down, and ride out the two weeks so you get a good reference?

Advertisement