Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Tyre choice: Longevity vs. Grip

Options
  • 06-04-2014 9:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,556 ✭✭✭

I've got to replace 3 out of 4 tyres on a mk4 mondeo, so might as well get a full set. However 215/55/16 V is giving me a bit of a price headache. So my question is:

DO I go for a decent all weather (vredestein quatrac 3), which may not last as long but will be much better in the cold ****ty weather we're plagued with all year round, or a supposedly "high grip" summer tyre which might get twice as much life out of them, and potentially aquaplane/be crap in the snow?

Also, I've noticed that one of the tyres is a 97 at the front when it should be a 93. However that corner's much more stable in corners. Any thoughts on whether I should go 97 all round, and would the ride be a lot harsher?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 813 ✭✭✭Satanta

I always go for grip. I absolutely hate tyres that turn to abs activators in the wet. But I don't do high milage so a set could last me two or three years if I held onto cars that long

• Registered Users Posts: 17,417 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

I always go for grip...have to remember those 4 tires are what's keeping me on the road and not in a ditch.
    You can get a good balance in both if you're not flooring your car etc and take it easy.
    I'd go for the vredestein quatrac 3, a good balance of grip in all weather kinds especially in this climate.
    It could be 25c one minutes and an hour later hailstones flooding down.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,238 ✭✭✭✭djimi

Grip over longevity, definitely. Not much point in a tire that will last 100k miles but cant get you around a corner at 35mph on a damp day...

I put a set of Uniroyal Rainsports on my car just before Christmas and havent had even a hint of torque steer since, no matter how wet the road has been.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,222 ✭✭✭keithclancy

I've got to replace 3 out of 4 tyres on a mk4 mondeo, so might as well get a full set. However 215/55/16 V is giving me a bit of a price headache. So my question is:

You'd be better off replacing all 4 rather than leaving an odd one on there.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,800 ✭✭✭Senna

If your close to the border, Rainsport 3's seem to be cheap in the north, I picked up 4 ;62 a tyre in Tyrone, same deal was available in Derry

• Advertisement

You'd be better off replacing all 4 rather than leaving an odd one on there.

I think they have that covered in the part where they say they may as well get a full set :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,207 ✭✭✭EazyD

I've had the Uniroyal Rainsports on the MX since last year and would highly recommend

• Registered Users Posts: 5,556 ✭✭✭Slutmonkey57b

Like most of you, I'd definitely prefer grip over anything else, but at 450-600 a set replacing tyres every year/20k isn't something I can justify if that's the lifespan of an all weather/rain tyre. Cheap tyres are false economy though.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,316 ✭✭✭Mycroft H

Like most of you, I'd definitely prefer grip over anything else, but at 450-600 a set replacing tyres every year/20k isn't something I can justify if that's the lifespan of an all weather/rain tyre. Cheap tyres are false economy though.

Good balance of both does me. Uniroyals fit the price vs performance bill for me. Anything more is throwing money at diminishing returns.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,524 ✭✭✭✭joujoujou
    Unregistered Users

Grip over lifespan.

Falken ZE914 96.5 each, incl. delivery.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 783 ✭✭✭oldsmokey

joujoujou wrote: »
    Grip over lifespan.

Falken ZE914 96.5 each, incl. delivery.

I did a bit of research last tyre change, and they were well-rated..couldn't get the things in my size so ended with BFGoodrich G-grip, am happy with them so far, have a strong sidewall for our rubbish roads..

On a FWD car you shouldnt need to be replacing a set every year. The rear tires on my car have seen three front sets so far and are still fine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,985 ✭✭✭✭dgt

Grip over longevity every time

• Registered Users Posts: 4,841 ✭✭✭enricoh

put on 205's instead - way cheaper, u should get a household name brand for e300 for 4 fitted handy enough. google tyre size calculatior
    if u end up going part worn make sure they dont put bloody winter tyres on, they last no time n are spongy in summer

Surely 205 are the wrong width for the rims though? Isn't that potentially dangerous?

I definitely wouldn't go for part worn tyres, that's what's on the car already!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,442 ✭✭✭Stavros Murphy

Grip, to ensure my longevity.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,277 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

Re 97 v 93 load rating, I think you are right in that the extra load rating makes a huge difference in how the tyre stands up when leaned on in corners.
    With identical load ratings, I find assymetric tyres to offer the best feel on cornering versus directional tyres
    Couldnt fault Vredestein sessantas no matter what they were compared with.

• Moderators Posts: 12,367 ✭✭✭✭Black_Knight

Slightly off topic, but where do ye buy yer tyres from? Ill be upgrading my alloys shortly, so trying to get the best deal all round.

Checked out eiretyres and camskill but anything I end up liking the sound (reviews) of is about €150 a corner. Or is that to be expected on a set of 235/40/R18 ?

For those interested, I ended up with Goodyear efficientgrip performance from a local place for 140 fitted. Feels like a different car but haven't taken it out for a long run yet, they'll need too bed in.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,931 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

Slightly off topic, but where do ye buy yer tyres from? Ill be upgrading my alloys shortly, so trying to get the best deal all round.

Checked out eiretyres and camskill but anything I end up liking the sound (reviews) of is about €150 a corner. Or is that to be expected on a set of 235/40/R18 ?

Yeah that's normal prices for anything half decent in that size BK :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 373 ✭✭Spike Witwicky

My last car had 225/40/18's. Decent mid priced rubber was costing me about €120 a corner.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,359 ✭✭✭ldxo15wus6fpgm

For those interested, I ended up with Goodyear efficientgrip performance from a local place for 140 fitted. Feels like a different car but haven't taken it out for a long run yet, they'll need too bed in.

I bought a set of the same about a month ago. They are superb in the wet and I drive a tank - peugeot 406 1.9td. Can't comment on longevity as I've only done a few thousand miles, but most of the stuff I found online says they'll last nearly as long as a timing belt :)

Also where did you get that price. I got mine for 80 each fitted, only 15s though.

A Plus in Bray. Cheap because they had them in stock, they quoted 720 for a set of primacy 3's which they'd have to order in. What others have said is true though: worth ringing around bricks and mortar places for prices.

Advertisement