Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Dell XPS 12 ghosting/image retention

• 21-02-2014 1:13pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,087 ✭✭✭✭

Hi all. Are there any Haswell (or older) Dell XPS 12 owners here? Do you have the screen burn "ghosting" problem, and did Dell ever replace the panel with a working one?
    It's the only real issue I can find with the XPS 12 on the internet, but it's a pretty major one. I notice an XPS 12 ordered today on the Irish Dell site won't be due for delivery for a full month. I wonder if they are waiting for new panels or something?
    Thanks for any more info!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,599 ✭✭✭Fiskar

Dan, been looking at this unit or a Thinkpad Yoga but the screen used on both is made by LG and is known to have ghosting issues.
    The reason there is a month shipping issue at the moment may be due to the replacements feeding through as per the comments on this thread (link below). Hope the info helps as they have the same issue on the Thinkpad Yoga.

http://forum.notebookreview.com/dell-xps-studio-xps/693432-xps-12-owners-lounge-239.html

When they sort it, I buy either but will wait till June to be sure

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,087 ✭✭✭✭Dan_Solo

If I knew for sure they were shipping with new screens I'd order now and wait. Not sure I want to chance the Yoga either been though I don't see quite so many reports of ghosting on it.
    LG, ruining both the laptops I have my eye on!

Dan_Solo wrote: »
    If I knew for sure they were shipping with new screens I'd order now and wait. Not sure I want to chance the Yoga either been though I don't see quite so many reports of ghosting on it.
    LG, ruining both the laptops I have my eye on!

So would I. There is a thread just opened on the Yoga as per the link below. When spending the money these laptops are asking for I would want zero screen issues.
    http://forums.lenovo.com/t5/ThinkPad-Edge-S-series/Thinkpad-Yoga-ghosting-after-image-watermark-issue/td-p/1412737/highlight/true/page/14

According to the Dell and Lenovo forums some people are being promised screen panels from a new batch, and this is delaying repairs and new sales.
    This might be a good thing. Not sure how long I need to wait to be sure this ghosting doesn't appear again though as it isn't evident for a while anyways I read.

I see that. Some real bargins can be had on the XPS 12 by Dell in Microcenter.com, flogging them off for 699$ !

Obviously a clear out for new stock.

Where are you intending to get your XPS if you do go with one?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,037 ✭✭✭youcancallmeal

I just ordered a refurbished Dell XPS 12 from ecomputers on ebay. Something similar to this. Ordered an XPS m1210 from them years ago and it was great value(at the time) and a great laptop. It arrived sealed in a Dell box and appeared brand new and unused. Hopefully the XPS 12 works out just as well. I'll send it straight back if I notice any ghosting issues though!

I was planning on getting mine direct from Dell Ireland. Will wait for these supposed new LCD panels before I buy though. As long as there's a fix out there I'd be happy to buy and have it repaired later.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,930 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Bought an XPS 12 (previous generation 9Q23 model) a few weeks ago and have started experiencing the screen burn-in problem this week as well.

Called Support yesterday and they were to send an engineer with parts out today, but then I got a call in the afternoon to say that the parts were out of stock with no ETA

So called back this morning and have escalated it to management as per the tech standard process is to wait 28 days for the parts to arrive before they can look at any other actions which is far from acceptable in my opinion given the cost of the machine, severity of the issue, and widespread reports of the same symptoms.

I also do a lot of business with DELL on a corporate level, and ironically had ordered one of the new models for a Director, but that'll have to be cancelled as well until this issue is sorted.

I can't help but think that this problem will hit Dell hard as the XPS seemed to be getting some traction over the Macbook standard at boardroom level. This kind of issue wouldn't rile a big shot if it was on a Latitude!
    Now the top brass will be thinking twice about renewing contracts with Dell thanks to first hand experience.

I can't help but think that this problem will hit Dell hard as the XPS seemed to be getting some traction over the Macbook standard at boardroom level. This kind of issue wouldn't rile a big shot if it was on a Latitude!
    Now the top brass will be thinking twice about renewing contracts with Dell thanks to first hand experience.

Well that's why I've put the new XPS 12 for one of our directors on hold.

A Latitude E7240 is a nice alternative though (not convertible, but has a touch screen option). Ultrabook-sized, plenty of ports (more than the XPS) and a full docking station connector... I'm typing this on one now :)

Will chase via my account manager on Monday though if I don't hear back before then.

• Advertisement

Update..

Just got a call from DELL to say that they will be arranging a service call for Monday that will include a NEW revision of this panel and a motherboard (to address the issue of the panel intermittently freezing when using touch)

He also tells me new build of the latest XPS 12 should have the new panel included but is to confirm and call me back today.

We shall see what happens next week I guess

I have moved away from an intended purchased of this and the Thinkpad Yoga because of the screen issue. I have ordered an S440 Thinkpad, 14 inch screen at a lot cheaper price. Not quite an ultrabook but not a brick either. More reliable screen.

Got my xps 12 today and the image retention issue is there alright. Going to leave it a month or so and then look into getting the panel replaced under warranty

Sorry to hear that, other than the screen it is a fine piece of kit but they want top dollar for it. Lenovo are struggling with the Thinkpad Yoga for similar reasons. One would be sitting on my lap now but for the screen. Screen issues from LG have been around before now but sad to say they appear not to have resolved it.
    Will sit well on the fence on this one and await the S440

Just an update to my earlier posts in the thread...

I had an engineer out last week to replace the panel and motherboard but (despite assurances beforehand), the LCD was obviously existing stock (manufactured Oct 2013) so it wasn't surprising that the problem reoccurred not even a day later.

Another call and escalation to managers ensued but they were unable to give me a firm ETA for when the correct parts would be available, so they have agreed to replace the entire machine (with the new 9Q33 Haswell version) instead.

I've been told this will be from fresh build stock so should sort the issue - we'll see....

Meanwhile I see they are officially recognizing the issue at least and offering free LCD replacements for affected machines regardless of warranty status - see story here

Kaiser2000 wrote: »
    Meanwhile I see they are officially recognizing the issue at least and offering free LCD replacements for affected machines regardless of warranty status - see story here
    I saw that.
    I'd like to think they were waiting on working LCD panels before they officially acknowledged there was a fault in them, but who knows how they operate.

pulled the plug on this and went for a Lenovo S440. No regrets, lovely format with fingerprint reader and 1900 x 1600 touchscreen. Waiting for Dell and Lenovo to sort the screens out will take too long

Rather astoundingly, according to Dell support forums, Dell are putting "Rev 01" stickers onto the same old panels and pretending they are fixed! Then customers get image retention immediately with the supposedly revised screens.
    What scam artists!

The odd thing here is I'd be quite happy to drop €1400 on the top end XPS 12 IF IT WORKED but the alternative I'm looking at in the €400 Asus T100!

What way are people contacting Dell about this problem? I've tried emailing them twice over the last 2 weeks and havent gotten a response. I'm loathe to ring them as it is usually an incredibly tedious process with someone who has poor english

The Dell support forum is mostly US customers dealing with their local Dell techs it looks like.
    I've been lied to more than once now by Dell sales saying the XPS12 they currently ship is OK. This fake labelling of parts really takes the biscuit though.

• Advertisement

http://forum.notebookreview.com/dell-xps-studio-xps/693432-xps-12-owners-lounge-249.html#post9619353

Someone's claiming they got a Samsung LCD panel... this could be good news!

Sorry meant to update this...

In the end, as I said above I got DELL to agree to replace the machine entirely. It took a while but it arrived last week and everything has been fine since.

Free upgrade to the latest model is nice too - even if it did take a lot of calls and escalations to get it.

I've a dell repair person coming next week to replace the screen on my xps 12(Haswell), probably just going to be the same panel though I reckon :(

I've a dell repair person coming next week to replace the screen on my xps 12(Haswell), probably just going to be the same panel though I reckon :(
    I don't want to ruin the surprise but from what I read nobody else on earth has received a working LCD panel. Hey, somebody has to be the first, right? :-)

I don't want to ruin the surprise but from what I read nobody else on earth has received a working LCD panel. Hey, somebody has to be the first, right? :-)

Yeah not holding out much hope. I said to guy on phone what happens if the new panel has the same issue and he said they will offer a replacement and eventually refund. Reckon he knows the issue isn't fixable. I'd be happy with refund as I think I'd just get an xps 13 instead. I love the keyboard and touchpad and don't really use the tablet features so makes sense?

Yeah not holding out much hope. I said to guy on phone what happens if the new panel has the same issue and he said they will offer a replacement and eventually refund. Reckon he knows the issue isn't fixable. I'd be happy with refund as I think I'd just get an xps 13 instead. I love the keyboard and touchpad and don't really use the tablet features so makes sense?
    I've been following this issue for months now ahead of buying a laptop and the IR killed the XPS12 for me. The blatant lying by Dell to their customers about it was the final nail in the coffin. I just couldn't buy one with any hope of a replacement coming out later.

Well my updated machine manifested the same problems after a fortnight :( so they changed the panel on this one yesterday - supposedly it's a part number that's not affected (we will see!)

Kaiser2000 wrote: »
    Well my updated machine manifested the same problems after a fortnight :( so they changed the panel on this one yesterday - supposedly it's a part number that's not affected (we will see!)
    I've read all that too before on other forums... more Dell lies I'm afraid. IR on every one.
    Sorry to be such a doom merchant...:(

• Registered Users Posts: 7 ThatShane

Anybody who is out of warranty have any luck getting a free replacement as quoted in the articles posted above? My laptop conveniently decided it would wait until it was out of warranty before the screen ghosting / image retention really became a problem :(

• Advertisement

Well got my screen replaced today and it looks great now but for how long I wonder!? I wasn't home when the repair guy replaced it and when my wife asked him about it he said he had never seen this image retention issue on the xps 12 before?? Not sure what to make of that?

Well got my screen replaced today and it looks great now but for how long I wonder!? I wasn't home when the repair guy replaced it and when my wife asked him about it he said he had never seen this image retention issue on the xps 12 before?? Not sure what to make of that?

Yep took less than 2 weeks but image retention is back, only very slight at the moment but presume it's going to increase more and more over then next few months. Going to contact dell and see if I can get it exchanged for an xps 13 and pay the difference if needs be

Yep took less than 2 weeks but image retention is back, only very slight at the moment but presume it's going to increase more and more over then next few months. Going to contact dell and see if I can get it exchanged for an xps 13 and pay the difference if needs be
    I'm sorry to hear that and even though I got a (quite aweosme) Yoga 2 Pro in the end his whole XPS12 screen has left me wary of going near Dell again, particularly for anything above standard office workhorse.

I'm sorry to hear that and even though I got a (quite aweosme) Yoga 2 Pro in the end his whole XPS12 screen has left me wary of going near Dell again, particularly for anything above standard office workhorse.

I was originally going to go for Yoga 2 Pro but heard it has ridiculously high resolution that can be annoying? I think the tablet aspect is something that I don't really use t0o much so definitely think the xps 13 should suit me more anyway.

I was originally going to go for Yoga 2 Pro but heard it has ridiculously high resolution that can be annoying? I think the tablet aspect is something that I don't really use t0o much so definitely think the xps 13 should suit me more anyway.
    I thought I wouldn't waste the 1800p screen, but I just went to 1080p and everything looks great plus it adds an hour at least of battery. Yeah, if you're just after a lappy the XPS13 would've been a better idea in the first place. Probably a better laptop than the Yoga is TBH.

Well my xps 12 has been returned and I'm now enjoying the xps 13.
    I think in retrospect it's a nice idea but there was just so many little problems with it including image retention that I would never have been happy with it. I'd say the next version of it will be a lot better if they address issues like weight and screen.

• Advertisement
Advertisement