Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The land of imagination

Options
  • 13-09-2011 9:33pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6,943 ✭✭✭

And home of artists and original thought.

This is, amazingly, still how some people around the world think of Ireland.

If only they could see our National TV stations. It has gone beyond embarrassing.

Before I go on with my rant, can you help me list all the shows that RTE and TV3 have copied from other countries?

I'll get the ball rolling:

Masterchef
    Pop Idol
    Who wants to be a millionaire
    Deal or no Deal
    The Secret Millionaire (upcoming on RTE)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

Except many, many other countries also have their own variants on these shows.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,943 ✭✭✭abouttobebanned

Except many, many other countries also have their own variants on these shows.

I understand that, but, and not meaning to be rude, so what?

Just because other countries do it - and i'm positive that we rely on other people's ideas more than any other country - why does that excuse the fact that this country has seemed to give up on trying to think of new and inovative shows.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

Masterchef - There's enough cookery shows around anyway. Copied in a few places.
    Pop Idol - Reeeeal original
    Who wants to be a millionaire - Decent for a while, copied everywhere.
    Deal or no Deal - Awful, copied everywhere
    The Secret Millionaire (upcoming on RTE) - It would never work in Ireland.

I understand that, but, and not meaning to be rude, so what?

Just because other countries do it - and i'm positive that we rely on other people's ideas more than any other country - why does that excuse the fact that this country has seemed to give up on trying to think of new and inovative shows.

Which country do you think has the most new and innovative shows?

amacachi wrote: »
    Which country do you think has the most new and innovative shows?

India. And then maybe America

• Advertisement

Funny, America has copied all of the shows you mentioned in your OP.

Yes, and that's why you asked me the question but how much original programming have they got? How much original programming do our national broadcasters show?

I'd guess it's about a 50:1 ratio, less than the 80:1 population ratio.

Advertisement