Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Red Cow.

Options
  • 03-10-2007 10:06am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 125 ✭✭

Just wondering has anyone else heard that Siac are suppose to be closing the M50 exits at the Red Cow and diverting the traffic to the Ballymount exits?

Are they trying to give me a nervous breakdown?

Comments

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 371 ✭✭Traffic

The fun starts this weekend I believe

• Closed Accounts Posts: 569 ✭✭✭Ice_Box

Closure of M50 southbound off ramp with diversion via Ballymount Interchange.
    (Note: freeflow lane into city still open)

From 6am Sun 16th of Sep 2007 to 6am 15th October 2007
    (These dates are clearly out of date but thats what the website says)

Day & Night

• Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭fitzyshea

See www.m50.ie for details

• Registered Users Posts: 922 ✭✭✭whosedaddy?

fitzyshea wrote:
    See www.m50.ie for details

You mean see m50.ie for things that should have happened... :-)

best bet for heads up on road closures is here
    http://www.sdublincoco.ie/index.aspx?pageid=939&type=adverts

SIAC has to apply first - application gets published and then if it gets granted SDCC will publish that too (with dates). Question is will SIAC stick to it...

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 371 ✭✭Traffic

From SDCC website:

Roads Act, 1993, Section 75

Temporary Closure of a section of the southbound exit ramp at the M50 / N7 interchange (Red Cow) connecting the M50 southbound with the Naas Road N7

South Dublin County Council has made an order for Siac-Ferrovial M50 Joint Venture to temporarily close a section of the M50 southbound exit ramp at the M50 / N7 (Red Cow) Interchange connecting the M50 southbound with the N7 (Naas Road) from 00.00 hrs. Saturday 6th October 2007 to 08.00 hrs. Saturday 3rd November 2007, to facilitate reconstruction of the N7 / M50 Interchange under the M50 upgrade works.

Only traffic travelling southbound and wishing to continue on to the N7 to Newlands Cross is affected

The alternative routes are via: The M50 Southbound, Ballymount Interchange (exit 10) and return via M50 northbound to the Naas Road (N7)*

Diversion signs will be erected.

Note: * to facilitate this detour existing traffic using Ballymount Interchange will be rerouted onto the newly constructed bridge separate to the diverted traffic.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

why could they not wait until the Ballymount exit was finished?

it appears to me that the three junctions being upgraded are being done independantly, there appears to be no "Joined Up" thinking.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭testicle

why could they not wait until the Ballymount exit was finished?

it appears to me that the three junctions being upgraded are being done independantly, there appears to be no "Joined Up" thinking.

Read the "Note *"

testicle wrote:
    Read the "Note *"

I'm guessing that this loopback will be "freeflow" as if the ballymount junction was completed first, diverted traffic would be delayed by the new traffic lights.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 bigi

am i right in saying that this closure will lead to a 'free flow' of traffic over the Red Cow for traffic on the N7 coming from the city heading west. Untill of course they meet the luas carpark loop road!
    i'm sure i'm wrong! too good to be true!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 bigi

yep didn't take me long to figure out i was wrong.
    there'll stil be traffic crossing over from N7 heading East to M50 heading South.
    was too good to be true!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

testicle wrote:
    Read the "Note *"
    I did, but I don't see how this will work.

How will people coming out of the industrial estate get onto the M50 north? they will have to cross the "Free Flow" traffic somehow, there will also be the slip road surfers coming the north bound slip, straight over and back down again.

I'm very worried about this as it is my escape route home whenthe red cow is busy.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,709 ✭✭✭Bards

from http://www.nra.ie/News/PressReleases/htmltext,10558,en.html

Major Traffic Diversions to take place along the M50 Corridor from Saturday 6 October 2007

4th October 2007

Major Traffic Diversions to take place along the M50 Corridor effecting traffic at three main interchanges the N4, N7, and Ballymount, these diversions will be in place until end of November.

Starting this Saturday, 6th October 2007 and continuing until the end of November, major new traffic diversions will come into effect at the N7/Red Cow Interchange on the M50 this will to allow for the new free flowing N7 interchange to be built.

From the 6th of October for the next four weeks, traffic wishing to exit at the N7 Southbound Off-ramp will be directed to the next Interchange at Ballymount, where a dedicated free-flow detour lane will direct traffic back to the N7 (Red Cow) Northbound Off-ramp.

A permanent new Ballymount Bridge will open for M50/Ballymount traffic on October 6th. The old Ballymount Bridge will be used for traffic diverted from the closed N7 (Red Cow) Southbound Off-ramp. This diverted traffic will exit/enter at Ballymount Interchange and be routed over the old Ballymount Bridge in a free-flow u-turn movement back to the N7 outbound at the N7 (Red Cow) Interchange. This traffic will be segregated, within the Ballymount Interchange area, from the normal M50/Ballymount traffic and will use the “inside ramps” when exiting / entering the M50 mainline. In early November the u-turn detour for N7 traffic will cease and the final layout using both old and new Ballymount Bridges and new free-flow slip-roads will be open to traffic.

There will also be diversions at the N4 (Palmerstown) Interchange. (Motorists are asked to drive carefully and follow the diversion signs. Work on the upgrading of this section of the M50 is progressing well and is due to be completed early 2008.)

A new free-flow loop for the N4 outbound to M50 northbound movement will open to traffic within the next week. This will end the need for the current detour to Liffey Valley Junction for this movement.

In mid October the N4 (Palmerstown) southbound Off-ramp will be closed to allow completion of construction of new free-flow traffic links at this Interchange. At the same time traffic currently exiting at the M50 southbound ramp to link with the N4 outbound (West) will divert from the M50 mainline on to a new temporary free-flow ramp which will allow this movement to take place without stopping at signals as at present.

Traffic currently exiting at the M50 southbound ramp to link with the N4 inbound (City) will divert on to the new temporary free-flow ramp, but will u-turn back towards the City at Liffey Valley Junction. This movement will also take place without stopping at signals at the N4/M50 roundabout as at present.

By mid-November the permanent loop for the M50 southbound to N4 outbound (West) will be completed and opened to traffic.

By mid-November the M50 southbound to N4 inbound (City) free-flow slip-road will be completed and opened to traffic.

By mid- December the N4 inbound to M50 southbound and the M50 northbound to N4 inbound (City) free-flow slip-roads will be completed and opened to traffic.

On the night of the 13th Oct the N4 will be closed between the M50 and the Liffey Valley Junction while the new N4 and M50 Pedestrian Bridges and 2 sign gantries are being erected. Diversions will be in place.

“Work on the new freeflowing N4 (Palmerstown) Interchange is likely to be completed several months ahead of the due date of next March,” says Frank Coffey, Director of Transportation, South Dublin County Council. “We also hope to have sections of the new permanent M50 mainline with three lanes in each direction and an additional fourth lane linking junctions, in place early in the New Year”.
    “We are please with the progress of work so far, but there will be considerable traffic management challenges ahead and we appreciate everyone’s patience. We will continue to drive the schedule so that we can complete this major upgrade sooner rather then later.” said Hugh Creegan, Head of Program Management, National Roads Authority.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,828 ✭✭✭Poxyshamrock

Anyone got that pic of what the Red Cow will look like when it's complete?
    I saw it on archiseek recently but can't find it anymore.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 569 ✭✭✭Ice_Box

This is the completed junction
    http://www.m50.ie/images/red-cow-interchange-apr07.jpg

This is the diversion in place until november 07
    Redcow-Interchange-01-lg.gif

Advertisement