Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Dublin Street Lighting

• 02-10-2007 6:32pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78,492 ✭✭✭✭

I'm starting a little 'war' with the council street lighting people.

Does anyone have a list of streets where there are faulty lights, lights missing, trees overgrown, etc.? Or where improvements should happen?

I have my own list, but I'd like some fresh ideas before I share it.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,082 ✭✭✭Chris_533976

I hate to be no help, but I'm sure every street in Dublin has faulty lights, lights missing, trees overgrown, etc.? ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,333 ✭✭✭tampopo

Well, I just lost a big reply. Screen crashed on me. Drat and double drat.

here's a synopsis.

DCC's public lighting 222-4444
    SDCC public lighting 414-9118

I call them all the time. get on it.

edit here. To Victor. I find them sound enough. They fix things reasonably quickly. There's the exception to the rule in both CC's. what are your ideas? I'd be very interested as it's a hobby horse of mine. I've called in a hundred lights. On during the day, off at night. If they're going to start cutting down trees for lights, I think they should start with Ailsbury road. It's really dark there at night, lights an' all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78,492 ✭✭✭✭Victor

I call them, but it all seems a bit casual. I have it in writing that lights that aren't working are.
    tampopo wrote:
    Screen crashed on me.
    Nah, that was the boards.ie server.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 7,486 ✭✭✭Red Alert

I think we could be more imaginative in the street lighting schemes we use particularly in housing estates. I think it's possible to both improve security and safety and at the same time reduce light pollution, ugly fixtures and energy waste.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 362 ✭✭bazzer

The typical street light in a housing estate is one of the most efficient in use, with a lamp rated at only 55 watts. Try lighting the same area with an ordinary household bulb!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,523 ✭✭✭daymobrew

tampopo wrote:
    DCC's public lighting 222-4444
    SDCC public lighting 414-9118

I call them all the time. get on it.
    I call the Traffic Management Centre on 1800-872-2345 to report issues with traffic lights. They are quite good.
    I call the street sweepers about glass on the road. Reasonably good.

http://www.fillthathole.org.uk/ - Maybe we need a similar site covering potholes and other local authority stuff. I contacted the site owner a good while back - he's willing to provide his code (on the understanding that changes would be open sourced - no probs with that).
    He did say that some local authorities are not overly happy with the site.

daymobrew, oh my goodness, do you have a direct contact number for broken glass? I'd have it on speed dial!

another pet hate is blocked gulleys. As a cyclist, and pedestrian, I hate it when they are blocked with gunk. I just passed two this morning that I called in during the summer. Those, plus another near the house are still yet to be unblocked properly. I spoke to two DCC lads re: the one by the house. they said they'd get it jetted and pumped. The oul shovel job didn't do it.
    I'll have to get on the blower again.

About street lighting, there was a facinating programme yesterday week, Sept 25th 8pm to 8.30pm. I think it's called The Green Zone. I looked it up on the rte.ie/radio website, by programme name and it wasn't there. But it was in my tv/radio guide. It was about the change from white to yellow lights and back again now to white lights. The wattage, wasted light, blah blah blah. It was very good. They said their contact detail was environment@rte.ie I wonder is that a shared email address...

The nice thing about new estates is that they run the cables underground instead of hung, pole to pole.

Victor, yeah. Just keep calling. In the message that was lost I said I ultimately had to contact a DCC councillor in Ranelagh to get her to get #11 in Mountpleasant Square turned off. It was on three years. I kept calling it in.I forget the councillor. She seemed to be living closest to the location. She has since left the council.

I was a year and a half trying to get #14 on Templeville road, opposite the Shell garage turned off. A similar length of time to get #3 on Belgard Rd at the Newland's Cross junction turned off. It's been three months since I called it in and haven't been out by it since to check it.

You'd think someone in the dept would drive along the M50 from time to time during daylight ours, and spot lights on. Whenever I'm on it, there's always about 10 on between the Red Cow roundabout and Sandyford. Same thing on the N11/Stillorgan dual carriageway. There's always a few on between Donnybrook and the Silver Tassie.

Anyway, onwards and upwards.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,523 ✭✭✭daymobrew

tampopo wrote:
    daymobrew, oh my goodness, do you have a direct contact number for broken glass? I'd have it on speed dial!
    The direct contact I have is from Fingal Dublin 15 area - I'll PM name and number.

For DCC I use the depot numbers - 222-2552 (Southside), 855-5404 (Aldbrough Parade, Northside), 834-3542 (Finglas), 671-5415 (Grangegorman), 836-9226 (Collins Ave). All these numbers are in the phone book.

I also have a number of a guy in DCC Road Maintenance for Clontarf/Raheny. He was very helpful in having a bad pothole on the coast road examined.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,359 ✭✭✭cyclopath2001

Victor wrote:
    Does anyone have a list of streets where there are faulty lights, lights missing, trees overgrown, etc.? Or where improvements should happen?
    Cycle track at Clontarf where it passes behind the car park at the foot of Vernon Avenue, near the pumping station.

It's completely unlit. The money that could have been spent lighting it was spent on a fancy light sculpture at the pumping station.

It was 'improved' some years ago resulting in cars parking partially on the track. In extreme cases, the back end of a 4WD with spare wheel will block the entire outbound cycle lane (see attached). The 'improvements' also introduced an extreme 90 degree bend which is 'blind' because you can't see oncoming cyclists as the view is obstructed by cars parked inside the bend, jutting into the cycle track. This becomes really hazardous at night, especially as one is blinded by car headlamps when turning that bend.

This means that to avoid colliding with the parked cars, partially on the track and which are very difficult to see in the dark, you have to cycle in the far right of the track, risking collision with oncoming cyclists, illegal joggers and walkers.

Has anyone from the city council ever cycled that part of the route in darkness?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,342 ✭✭✭markpb

Has anyone from the city council ever cycled

No.

• Advertisement

I was going to quote my own message but my pc is acting up something horrible.

anyway, that radio programme is not on Tuesdays, it's on Thursdays. The Green Field is what it's called. It was about slugs in Kerry this evening, among other things....

Thanks all

t

Advertisement