Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Today I did some detailing...

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,377 ✭✭✭Curran

Its not a terrible idea, but its very old school. Rubbing compounding may leave its own dull appearance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,755 ✭✭✭ianobrien

Yesterday myself and the father tackled his car. The day started off grand and fine but by lunchlime this had to be done to keep the mist & rain at bay.

20140831_150303.jpg

The results are acceptable I guess.....

20140831_153148.jpg

20140831_162246.jpg

20140831_153231.jpg

20140831_153246.jpg

Ya, the last one is the roof.....

That's with no glass or interior done. That's being done today.

Grat work Ian. ...looks very acceptable to me!

Glass, interior and some tyre dressing and the jobs a good one! ;)

What machine and pad / polish combo did you go for to get correction?

Curran wrote: »
    Grat work Ian. ...looks very acceptable to me!

Glass, interior and some tyre dressing and the jobs a good one! ;)

What machine and pad / polish combo did you go for to get correction?

Don't laugh when I tell you it was Autoglym products, elbow grease and buffed with a cheapo Lidl polisher with lambswool mitt!

The car was washed (2 bucket), clayed, polished, buffed and sealed with Autoglym paint protector.

Edit Autoglym paint renovator was used on some small scratches and did a good job on getting rid of them on the bumper. Bloody parking dings from other idiots!

Good work!! It came out very well....get a few pictures up of the finished job! ;)

Pics of the finished job is going to be difficult. Da fecked off into town for the day shopping instead of doing the glass and interior.....

I actually feel self-conscious getting out of it :o

1B0C9140F6A44C1091628CF69275B9E1-0000333410-0003656131-01024L-D387004EDECE474C9BC0C66CFA9BC065.jpg

80CA9D2B32C04E81833E6C9A4E188253-0000333410-0003656130-01024L-C97CC88D598945DC921D470C91807BDC.jpg

337926067AC447A78029E35CDF900D02-0000333410-0003656129-01024L-34383A32550141E6AF7E09DDC3427F27.jpg

F4DA2234641E4C48AAFAABD8DEB170FC-0000333410-0003656128-01024L-CE2DFDF89BB84EAAAE38F7C39D084B09.jpg

37D240860C3E411A89F50816E67E1761-0000333410-0003656127-01024L-9A486E868E7C4E5E9C4EBDBB24ADFA10.jpg

I have a little weekend break coming up, where I'll be heading to Mayo and back, so I'm hoping to get it cleaned up properly before then. It's not exactly 'clean' on the inside, either. :o

This isnt the "Today I couldnt be ar$ed doing some Detailing" thread!! :P

Pressure is on now, to produce some fine after pictures! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 791 ✭✭✭georgefalls

I think you confused the title of this thread. Its 'Today I DID SOME detailing' :D

HA HA, 2 hours later for the smart comment and you were a touch too slow!! :P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,845 ✭✭✭Noccy_Mondy

Best tyre dressing lads? Been using autoglym up to now, but as soon as you go through a puddle of any description, it comes off. It's gone within a couple of days even if there's no rain. Wolfs blackout was suggested here before I think?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,854 ✭✭✭✭MetzgerMeister

50 Cal Cammo, Meguiars Endurance Gel

Yeah, all mentioned are good, though I find Meg's can sling quite a bit. Orchard Autocare Glitz is another option.

If you like the very glossy/shiny look, then Megs is probably for you! Though, two coats of the others would bring out a bit of shine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,846 ✭✭✭discombobulate

I find chemical guys new trim/tyre gel to be quite good for both black plastics and tyres. Bottle is also lasting ages compared to a spray

Anything that you apply with an applicator verus a spray will always last longer...and obviously not get all over you wheels. Over spray can make the alloys greasy and attract dirt too....but sprays are quick and handy!

Have to say I've used OAC's Glitz and was never overly impressed with it. I do really like Autoglym's instant tyre shine, but it certainly isn't instant, and it does wear off after a few days.

I have some Meguiar's Endurance lying around somewhere, but have yet to use it. I tend to keep re-buying AG's Instant tyre shine :o But I do like it's ease of use.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,792 ✭✭✭Ded_Zebra

I really like the Megs stuff. The key is to scrub all the old dressing off the tyre well with APC before putting more on. Make sure the tyre is fully dry and put on as little as you can. If I do this I don't find it slings much if at all :)

Certain products agree with people and wont with others, as everyone has different preferences of how products work - so what is good for you, might not be good for another!

I like a trye dressing that I can dab / paint on with a paint brush - its accurate with application and can get into the groves of the side walls easliy....use the same brush every time, so product isnt wasted in the applicator (as foam ones fall apart after a while), after application, I usually give the tyre a light wipe down with an old MF to take the really shiny look off it, and leave a nice deep matt appearance.

But then there are times when its handy just to be able to give a few quick squirts and walk away!

It's all about tyres so shiny that you could be blinded by them on a sunny day :P

You're absolutely right, everyone has different tastes and preferences. The one thing I really hate is this stuff a friend of mine uses that is actually black. If you inadvertently rub off his tyres it makes your clothes all black :mad::mad:

• Advertisement

Armor All or similar?

Armor All or similar?

That he uses? Not sure, but it's a fooking disaster! I tell him all the but he likes it :P I always manage to rub my trouser leg off it anyway whenever I'm near one of his cars :rolleyes:

He must have nice wheels! :P If you are getting THAT up close and personal with them :D :P ;)

Ill give the meguiars a go so. Love a nice shiny look on a tyre, especially with a black car, discoloured tyres make a car look unfinished.

Oh. In other news. Wheel woolies are the absolute job!! It's a lot of money to spend on wheel brushes IMO and quite hard to justify. I sat on the fence for ages about getting them but I don't think I'll ever look back now! Hope that helps someone else trying to justify pulling the trigger :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,580 ✭✭✭✭vectra

Wolfs Blackout.

• Advertisement

Anything that you apply with an applicator verus a spray will always last longer...and obviously not get all over you wheels. Over spray can make the alloys greasy and attract dirt too....but sprays are quick and handy!

*Cough* 50 Cal Cammo *Cough*

It's good but the overspray left a film on the panels surrounding each of my wheels :(
    But then there are times when its handy just to be able to give a few quick squirts and walk away!

That's what she said last night :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,775 ✭✭✭✭Slattsy

Another vote for Megs Endurance gel.

After I've done all the tyres I go round them with a dry cloth just to ensure I didn't over apply.

Ded_Zebra wrote: »
    It's all about tyres so shiny that you could be blinded by them on a sunny day :P

I dunno about that, to be fair.

AutoGlym's Instant Tyre Shine and OAC's Glitz both left me with shiny tyres that I was relatively happy with.

However, I have come across a couple of cars parked on the town, in car parks, etc. around the place and they had very obviously just been detailed.

Something they had in common, particularly a red Golf I seen parked up before, was that the tyres had been dressed to death. Looked like someone used a full bottle of tyre dressing on each tyre.

The result was that they didn't look natural at all. They looked like Fisher Price tyres. Really cheap and plastic-y in appearance. I'm glad I've managed to avoid that, so far. :o

*Cough* 50 Cal Cammo *Cough*

That's what she said last night :pac:

Has she got no manners?
    was she never told to Not speak when her mouth is full? LOL

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 396 ✭✭RobTheLad

Got this small order from Detailing Shed yesterday, will get using it this weekend. Just a quick question on it though, can either be diluted?
    IMG_20140902_180450.jpg

• Advertisement

Perfection as the product is intended to be used; no....but if you wanted to use it as a very light quick detailer, you probably could, but Ive never done it.

Auto Wheel; no

Perfection as the product is intended to be used; no....but if you wanted to use it as a very light quick detailer, you probably could, but Ive never done it.

Auto Wheel; no

thanks, and also, should I leave the perfection to dwell at all, or spray and buff off straight away?

Very lightly mist the panel with 2 or 3 little sprays...try swipe across an area as you do it.
    Buff in straight away until it disappears. As the microfiber gets more damp, the product might streak a little, have a 2nd microfibre cloth to give it a final rub. But only use the 2nd MF for this final buff. The more damp the first MF becomes the less you spray on the panels. Remember Perfection can go everywhere; paint, glass, trin, etc

Those Crazy Pile cloths are big, so can be cut in two and will do this job for you perfectly.

With perfection, remove excess water from the panel, give 2 or 3 sprays on the panel and wipe it over.

thanks guys, I'll be sure to post some pictures here when I've it done :)

Went to town on the Peugeot a few weeks back, getting it ready for it's sale. Just a few snaps of my novice work! Happy with how it turned out though. Dare I say, a mini detail? :P (Sorry for the abundance of pics!)

Started off with a de-tar. Badly needed, doubt it ever seen one.
    2hd6y42.jpg

Then a wax
    2yuk700.jpg

2ldeo2r.jpg

2qvr0oj.jpg

Then the arches and wheels were tackled. Also de-tarred the arches.
    984l52.jpg

1zvz910.jpg

Interior was next. Mats need a wash I'd say.
    2edzd09.jpg

2t4wj.jpg

And a few finished pics. It would look so much better if it didn't need to have a front reg plate affixed.
    rsdet5.jpg

2hfuq6x.jpg

dhfpex.jpg

Also tackled my Peugeot today.. Could've started a Peugeot Detailer's club if you weren't selling yours :(:p

F86A7817D97E4CBDB146F25E8AC7F1EC-0000333410-0003658389-01024L-E9E9B2DA9E0E4A8482EE0DEF199708E4.jpg

D929F4222097487DBBB013301974B036-0000333410-0003658388-01024L-A0F068A0E248469ABF8940F54FEB8C45.jpg

D235141035FA4604AB71FE41A10358F8-0000333410-0003658394-01024L-BDD26D9B21F84BE88E159CD678DE3052.jpg

8C31658EF7054F398EFF7CDBDE26BB13-0000333410-0003658393-01024L-F6500087CCA546BD80E55D7B8518C788.jpg

9E582EFFFEC84280A2859092B09DA4D8-0000333410-0003658391-01024L-7FED3447A5304751BEFFA14846F14CF8.jpg

The process was fairly straight forward, but relatively thorough.

Yesterday It got snowfoamed and rinsed. Then it was left alone cos I got an unexpected call that pulled me away from it. But the pressure washer did lift some of the dust and dirt off it. It had that horrible 'smeary' kind of look to it though, that I hate.

So today it got a more thorough clean. The wheels got doused in AG's Wheel Clean (not a bad product. First time using it). I used a detailing brush (of sorts) to agitate this and rinsed it off with water, then sprayed a load of Wheel Clean on the wheel again and went at it a second time. Did this for each wheel.

Then the whole car (minus the wheels) got snowfoam (well, a very watery one... I'd like to get a proper lance again, but the last one I had makes me very apprehensive about splashing out again). Either way, it gave a nice gloss. Then it got another watery snow foam.

Then it got a 4BM wash.. that's my fancy way of saying I gave it a 2BM wash, then I pressure washed/rinsed it, and then gave it a second 2BM wash to go over it again. Then I let it dry itself off a little bit, and I gave the lower half of the car a spraying with OAC's Tar Cleanse. While letting that sit, I used OAC's Iron Cleanse on the alloys. left it for a few minutes and rinsed the whole car (wheels included).

Used OAC's all purpose cleaner to quickly go over the tyres, which then got a good hiding with a scrubbing brush, and the wheel wells (which were then pressure washed to clean them up a tiny bit).

AG's "Instant" tyre shine was up next, on the tyres and the plastic mudflaps. After one application, I let the car roll forward a bit and gave the tyres a second coating for the areas I'd have otherwise missed.

Then circled the car with AG's Rapid Detailer to finish it off (as I knew i wouldn't have had the time to do a proper polish or wax on it).

I have to say, it actually really is a great looking car. After having the Rav4 for so long, I didn't really think I'd take to a saloon car too well, but I think the 407, despite all it's flaws (and there's no shortage of them), is a really well designed car, aesthetically.

There's a steel bar travelling down each side of the car. A 'frame' of sorts. It serves a useful purpose, as I think the 407's factory suspension is a tad lower than most cars? (I'm fairly careful, and even I've managed to scrape it a few times). This is not at all noticeable in real life, but in the photos there it stands out like a sore thumb.

Mechanic will have the car on a ramp next week when servicing it. So I'm gonna pull all the wheels off it while it's ramped up and do them inside and out. Was wondering if anyone had any tips or thoughts on anything I could do to that steel bar? Or is it just a black aerosol paint can job?

This one's for you, Noccy... Hope you get another Peugeot and we can realise our dreams... together. We'll detail the world, man. One Peugeot at a time... :pac:

B04C3C4CB97E4BCD8BF4E97B46D23DD4-0000333410-0003658395-00800L-C6FE3634A59448EB9C7D99E01E3B7AA3.jpg

I call this 'badge selfie'. I'm hoping it will be the next Facebook craze, and people can donate €1 to me for every badge selfie they take. I'll put the money to good use...

The 2 Pug's are looking well lads. ..good work!

2 great looking french fries lads! :D

Noccy - I'm surprised that the black trim along the doors came out so well and not white. Are they lacquered or something??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭advertsfox

That 407 looks the business, what a class reg plate as well - great job (on both cars) but I love the 407 styling with it's big grin grill :)

• Advertisement

2 great looking french fries lads! :D

Noccy - I'm surprised that the black trim along the doors came out so well and not white. Are they lacquered or something??

Thanks. Ya I'm nearly sure they are, they took the wax well, they have a shiny and smooth feel/appearance. The only part that didn't turn out as well is the part that the drivers mirror is attached to (can see in pic 3). Kind of stayed white, got it to a very pale black, but cant get it back to jet black, any ideas?

The only thing I know that will make that the way it should be is Gtechniq C4 permanent trim restorer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,865 ✭✭✭✭MuppetCheck

Right, my car hasn't been cleaned outside in months - basically the whole summer and there's thousands of dead flies stick to the front.

Plan on doing it on Thursday as I'm off, what's the best plan of attack for these things? They are well caked in. There was a fresh coat of wax on it prior to this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,644 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Right, my car hasn't been cleaned outside in months - basically the whole summer and there's thousands of dead flies stick to the front.

Plan on doing it on Thursday as I'm off, what's the best plan of attack for these things? They are well caked in. There was a fresh coat of wax on it prior to this.

I find tar remover works well as they are very difficult to remove.

I think it was MM that gave me a good tip once about cleaning off insects in a non aggressive way. Pressure washing them followed by snow foam does a lot to remove them. Then what he recommended was a few soaking wet MF towels hung on the bumper covering them. This softens them up. leave the towels there while you 2BM the rest of the car. Then lift off the towels and 2BM the front and they should all come off without the need for harsh chemicals or scrubbing.:)

It might be better again if the towels are soaked with car wash solution rather than just pain water.

Yes,
    As above.
    A couple of saturated Towels laid on them will soften them up.

Fair play DZ! I'm glad someone here listens to me :D

I'll give that a go do lads, thanks. It's quite bad, to the point where it was even tough making out the number plate until I cleaned the heavy bits off...

I was at it again! I did my cars yesterday and today and have discovered nothing "glows" like a properly detailed black car (see post #2353 for the cack-handed work on a black car)

First up, my daily driver, wash (2BM), detar, wash, clay (it was amazing the dirt that claying took off a new car), polish, buff, seal with Autoglym Extra Gloss Protection and buff again. Oh, I did the wheels and glass this time....

20140907_145814.jpg

20140907_145802.jpg

20140906_192410.jpg

It was covered in flies before I started.

20140906_105031.jpg

The Escort was finished today. It was washed about two week ago and the roof was done then (a right job I'm told because of the dimpling effect - I didn't do it naturally). It was pushed into the garage then and was finally finished today.

20140907_173220.jpg

20140907_173206.jpg

• Advertisement

I was wondering who bough the silver one, I bought their demo before that one:pac:

Lovely Escort btw.

Advertisement