Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Upgrading 2 year old build.

Options
  • 01-09-2014 5:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭

Hi, first time posting in this forum so I hope I am doing this the correct way. Any advice welcome and apologies if I am posting this in the wrong place. :)

I am upgrading my pc which I assembled 2 years ago. I want to try and find a smaller case (as my current Antec case is huge!), and also try and make it a quieter build if possible. I set out originally to build a quiet build for audio work and was very disappointed with how loud it turned out to be.

I am starting college as a mature student for the first time so don't have the same amount of time to put into researching this upgrade as I did for the build the first time around. So any advice on a smaller case which will fit my needs and not be excessively loud, and also on which component is likely causing the noise in the first place, would be greatly appreciated. It sounds like it might be coming from the Corsair H60 Cooler system, which I thought would be a quieter option than the stock fan, so I was thinking of sticking the stock fan in instead.

1. What is your budget?

No budgetary limits.

2. What will be the main purpose of the computer?
    Microsoft office, web browsing etc. as well as some occasional gaming (Civilisation 5) and some very light audio recording/editing and mixing using Pro Tools

3. Do you need a copy of Windows?

No. I already have Windows 7 Ultimate installed as well as a few other OS's on separate hard drives for audio work.

4. Can you use any parts from an old computer?
    Yes...

Power - Antec CP-850/CPX Form Factor 850w ATX 12v v2.3 and EP

Processor - Intel Core i7 2600K - 3.4 GHz - 4 cores - LGA1155 Socket -

Case - Antec Performance One P183 V3 - Mid tower - ATX

Cooling - Corsair Hydro Series" H60 High Performance CPU Cooler

RAM - Corsair Vengeance 16GB 1600MHz CL9 DDR3 Four Module

OS Drive - 64GB CRUCIAL M4 SATA 6GBPS 2.5IN (9.5MM) SSD

Storage Drive - BARRACUDA 1TB SATA 3.5IN 7200RPM 64MB 6GB/S

Monitor - 24IN LED EA243WM 16:10 BK 5MS 1920X1200 HDMI H/A

Motherboard - GA-Z68XP-UD3 S1155 Z68 ATX SND+GLN+UB3+1394 SA

Graphics Card - RADEON HD 6870 1GB GDDR5 OC PCI-E 2XDVI 2XM-DP

5. Do you need a monitor?
    No

5b. If no, what resolution is your current monitor and do you plan to upgrade in the near future?
    [1920x1080] [No]

6. Do you need any of these peripherals? [Keyboard/Mouse/Wireless Card/Card Reader/Speakers/etc.]
    No, I use a logitech M570 Trackball mouse and an apple keyboard.

7. Are you willing to try overclocking?
    No

8. How can you pay? [Bank Transfer/Credit Card/Laser]
    Visa Debit Card

9. When are you purchasing?
    As soon as possible, I've gotten a new desk for studying and the computer is just too big to fit anywhere.

10. If you need help building it, where are you based?
    I assembled it the first time around so I should be ok. I'm based in Dublin.

Advertisement