Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

loop walks in Lahinch

• 10-08-2014 4:18pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 809 ✭✭✭

Am staying a couple of nights in Lahinch next week. Just wondering are there any loop walks in the area. I know there is a walk from Lahinch to Liscannor but doubling back is a bit of a pain. Any help would be appreciated.
    Dec

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 477 ✭✭blowin3

Not that I know of. There is the Moher cliff walk but its not looped. I think you will have to go as far as Fanore where there is a few. Maybe more that I don't know about but like you I don't like retracing my steps so good luck and enjoy Lahinch.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,478 ✭✭✭finbarrk

One of the best walks in the Country is from Liscannor (Hags Head) to Doolin via The Cliffs of Moher. It's not a loop though. You will have to get a taxi back for the car from Doolin. It's worth it though, if you have a fine day.
    http://www.irishtrails.ie/Irish_Trail_News/Opening_of_Cliffs_of_Moher_Coastal_Path,_Co_Clare.html

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,620 ✭✭✭✭dr.fuzzenstein

There aren't really any walks, any time you spend walking is time you are not spending money at the pub, restaurant, surf school, golf course, rock shop, getting the bus/taxi to various attractions (with "tourist" shops attached, of course) and besides the farmers would rather you'd not walk around their countryside trampling everything. I think we can barely tolerate it if you cycle through our landscape, holding up all the cars, better rent a car, that way you can get even more efficiently to all the various tourist attractions to spend more of your money.
    The Burren is a classic example. I think there may be two walkways, which are a huge thorn in the side of the farmers, who make sure to have signs saying "beware of the bull" and spread manure on the fields said walkways might go through.
    So in short, Irish landscape is something to be looked at from a designated lay-by, you don't even have to get out of your car and it should be on your way to the pub, where people sing wistful songs about the beauty of the landscape.
    You won't find any of that nonsense of designated hiking and cycling trails here, we don't hold much truck with that sort of malarkey.
    We prefer Americans to fly in here, book rooms in Dromoland and then be chauffeur driven to various golf-courses and those freeloading hikers can go elsewhere.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 809 ✭✭✭dec25532

God, you have a lot going on. Just wanted a free and easy walk along the County Clare countryside really. Maybe the subjects you raised are for another forum. Thanks anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,477 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Not the longest walk, but if you head out towards miltown Malbay by the road as far as Cregg beach (the bend in the road after the caravan park) you'll find a quiet beach and a really nice beach walk back to Lahinch with cliffs towering over you. Rock pools and crabs and all that stuff.

Obviously only when the tide is well out.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,620 ✭✭✭✭dr.fuzzenstein

dec25532 wrote: »
    God, you have a lot going on. Just wanted a free and easy walk along the County Clare countryside really. Maybe the subjects you raised are for another forum. Thanks anyway.

It's long been a thorny subject in Ireland and yes, there are many forums dedicated to it, usually those threads end in name-calling and abuse between walkers and farmers. :pac:

But back to walking trails, you can also try Lahinch to Kilrush (or part thereof)
    http://www.walkingroutes.ie/1697-Lahinch-to-Kilrush.html

• Registered Users Posts: 477 ✭✭blowin3

Wow 42k the thought of it makes me feel I need to see a "doctor"!! There is lovely looped walks around Killnaboy dec25532 well worth the drive from Lahinch you can also call into see Fr Ted for a cup of tea if he is around.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 809 ✭✭✭dec25532

colm_mcm wrote: »
    Not the longest walk, but if you head out towards miltown Malbay by the road as far as Cregg beach (the bend in the road after the caravan park) you'll find a quiet beach and a really nice beach walk back to Lahinch with cliffs towering over you. Rock pools and crabs and all that stuff.

Obviously only when the tide is well out.

Did that and it was great. Thanks for the steer.

Advertisement