Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Country's first White Tailed eagles Hatch in Mountshannon

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭pilate 1

Great bit of good news!:) So happy! Hope they stay safe and grow big and strong!:)
    http://clare.fm/news/countrys-first-white-tailed-eagles-over-110-years-hatch-mountshannon

any truth that chicks are now being hand fed by humans?mam and dad are said to have left the nest area due to human intrusion!(somebody thought it would be a great idea to put a camera and solar panel on site):mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 341 ✭✭poppyvally

Some" cantankerous person" will probably poison them eventually. They should be left alone, no human intervention & a n exclusion zone of half a mile all around. Can you imagine that on Mount Shannon?. Dead in the water but I hope not

• Registered Users Posts: 13,999 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

pilate 1 wrote: »
    any truth that chicks are now being hand fed by humans?mam and dad are said to have left the nest area due to human intrusion!(somebody thought it would be a great idea to put a camera and solar panel on site):mad:

Wouldn't surprise me ...... I was quite surprised to read this at the time ....
    The programme's project manager Dr. Alan Mee from the Golden Eagle Trust has thanked the community and landowners in Mountshannon for all their support
    He's also urging visitors to come view the new chicks - but not to encroach on their nest.

http://clare.fm/news/countrys-first-white-tailed-eagles-over-110-years-hatch-mountshannon

It seemed an odd thing to encourage people to do in view of the uniqueness of the event.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,812 ✭✭✭Precious flower

I thought yer man encouraging people to view the nest was a bad idea, people never know when to leave well enough alone. Why can't people just leave animals be?:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,296 ✭✭✭Geomy

I thought yer man encouraging people to view the nest was a bad idea, people never know when to leave well enough alone. Why can't people just leave animals be?:mad:

I think it's pure ignorance,people putting local profit above local fauna....

There's a certain mindset I can't identify with. ..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 395 ✭✭Carazy

Did the programme manager Dr.Alan Mee not say in the Clare Champion that they (Golden Eagle Trust) put a camera which was one foot in size near the nest and this disturbed the parents who then fled the nest and left the chicks.
    The Trust then had to feed them by hand after their camera disrobed the young parents.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,585 ✭✭✭✭Lady Chatterton

• Registered Users Posts: 18,069 ✭✭✭✭fryup

Carazy wrote: »
    Did the programme manager Dr.Alan Mee not say in the Clare Champion that they (Golden Eagle Trust) put a camera which was one foot in size near the nest and this disturbed the parents who then fled the nest and left the chicks.
    The Trust then had to feed them by hand after their camera disrobed the young parents.

what a dumb thing to do, thought they would've known better

and now you got some guy with a seaplane taking off nearby, its a wonder how he got permission

fryup wrote: »
    what a dumb thing to do, thought they would've known better

and now you got some guy with a seaplane taking off nearby, its a wonder how he got permission

birds/seaplanes coexist all around this earth of ours.why not mountshannon?all proper and relevant studies and planning permission conducted by the"guy" with the sea plane

• Registered Users Posts: 18,069 ✭✭✭✭fryup

yes, im sure you have incidents of birds that get use to planes that have been in areas for a long period of time...but this sea plane operation has just started in a very important period of these chicks development, personally speaking i just don't think its right

• Advertisement

fryup wrote: »
    yes, im sure you have incidents of birds that get use to planes that have been in areas for a long period of time...but this sea plane operation has just started in a very important period of these chicks development, personally speaking i just don't think its right

just to point out that the sea plane operation was in planing and development years before the eagles decided to hatch in mountshannon.it did not it pop up overnight! two wonderful attractions in east clare that should coexist quiet happily(despite some ill informed hysteria and nimby attitudes)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭marienbad

• Registered Users Posts: 1,241 ✭✭✭Auldloon

marienbad wrote: »

Just seen that on Fb. What a shameful thing to do. Gun licences are handed out much too easily and I say this as a licence holder.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭marienbad

Auldloon wrote: »
    Just seen that on Fb. What a shameful thing to do. Gun licences are handed out much too easily and I say this as a licence holder.

Why is this happening though ? Between this and poisoning what is going on ?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,999 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

marienbad wrote: »
    Why is this happening though ? Between this and poisoning what is going on ?

The poisoning might not have been targeted, but the shooting would certainly appear so.

Is it significant that this shooting happened during lambing season?

Lack of education and thought I suppose. I grew up on a busy mixed farm where poison was laid regularly to kill foxes and grey crows in a mistaken attempt to protect lambs. It was wrong as were a lot of the other common practices that I'd rather forget but that's easy for me to see now 20 years removed from farming and that environment.
    As for shooting, sadly I was as blood thirst as any when I started out. Hardly a creature was safe when I was out with the gun, an attitude that's all too common with young fellas unfortunately. It's often a case of just lift the gun and bang, no more thought given. Those days are long behind me before anyone goes mad. I'm just trying to explain the mentality.

Lambing season could definitely be a factor. If it was seen to be hanging around sheep that would be enough justification for some.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,371 ✭✭✭Obliq

Lack of education and thought I suppose. I grew up on a busy mixed farm where poison was laid regularly to kill foxes and grey crows in a mistaken attempt to protect lambs. It was wrong as were a lot of the other common practices that I'd rather forget but that's easy for me to see now 20 years removed from farming and that environment.
    As for shooting, sadly I was as blood thirst as any when I started out. Hardly a creature was safe when I was out with the gun, an attitude that's all too common with young fellas unfortunately. It's often a case of just lift the gun and bang, no more thought given. Those days are long behind me before anyone goes mad. I'm just trying to explain the mentality.

Lambing season could definitely be a factor. If it was seen to be hanging around sheep that would be enough justification for some.

If there was a prosecution, there might be some more thought given in future. I'm horrified by this - I was watching those two chicks come up and they have the full support of everyone in the area <Mod Snip>. I'm so upset - hope someone gets shopped for this, I really do :mad::mad::mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

The poisoning might not have been targeted, but the shooting would certainly appear so.

Is it significant that this shooting happened during lambing season?

Is it known for sure that those eagles will attack lambs, and/or pick the eyes out of sheep?

Obliq wrote: »
    If there was a prosecution, there might be some more thought given in future. I'm horrified by this - I was watching those two chicks come up and they have the full support of everyone in the area, <Mod Snip>. I'm so upset - hope someone gets shopped for this, I really do :mad::mad::mad:

I hope so a well. Unless the shooter kept their mouth firmly shut someone in the area will know so the more publicity this gets locally the better.

Is it known for sure that those eagles will attack lambs, and/or pick the eyes out of sheep?

I think eye picking is more attributed to grey crows. As for lamb predation there's a study there from the isle of mull Scotland.

http://www.scotland.gov.uk/Resource/Doc/47060/0014566.pdf

• Advertisement

No, no it isn't known at all. There's absolutely no instances ever recorded of an eagle picking at sheep/lambs eyes - that's magpie territory. As for attacking lambs - that's usually rubbish. An adult eagle weighs very little and I saw one of the adults struggle to get a 2 1/2 foot pike out of the water last year. Of course an eagle could tackle a sick and dying lamb, but again there's no recorded incidents. If there were, the farmer could look for compensation, couldn't they?
    I hope so a well. Unless the shooter kept their mouth firmly shut someone in the area will know so the more publicity this gets locally the better.

Well the poor young Iolair was mortally injured and starving on that shore line field for about 2 weeks apparently. The autopsy turned that up. Someone must know something, not just the person that did this savage crime. Christ, I have no words for this - I'm absolutely gutted about that beautiful life taken by some mindless, gutless moron.

Edit: I meant to say no incidents of lambs being taken in Ireland. I heard about that Mull study alright. Still though - simple fact is that a sea-eagle prefers fish. They will opportunistically take ducks or other large water birds from time to time and hares/rabbits if they are hunting the mountain areas.

Somebody knows who did this. If they can do this to such a magnificent creature, they have no right to have a gun and should be put away for it.

The poor Iolair (dear Mod - this is the Irish for Eagle) was dying for weeks in a field. Someone knows something, not just the shooter. Here's the press release from the Golden Eagle Trust:

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Golden-Eagle-Trust/144404808950774

First Irish-bred White-tailed Eagle found dead in Tipperary

Golden Eagle Trust Press Release 5th March 2014

One of the first two White-tailed Eagles to fledge successfully from a nest in Co. Clare in 2013 has been found dead in Tipperary. The young male eagle was reared by a pair of White-tailed Eagles at a nest on Lough Derg, near Mountshannon, Co. Clare and successfully flew from the nest in July 2013 along with its sibling. After a few months of care by its parents both young eagles began to disperse more widely and become independent of their parents. The last confirmed sighting was of one of the two juveniles near Dromineer, Co. Tipperary, on the east shore of Lough Derg in January.

After information supplied by a member of the public and a subsequent search on lands on the shore of Lough Derg by an officer from the National Parks & Wildlife Service (NPWS) and the Golden Eagle Trust Project Manager, Dr Allan Mee, the dead White-tailed Eagle was found near Ballinderry, North Tipperary, on the north-east shore of Lough Derg. Subsequent post-mortem by pathologists at the Regional Veterinary Laboratory at Knockalisheen, Limerick, and radiographs showed the young eagle had been shot, the body holding some 45-50 shotgun pellets. Subsequent post-mortem by pathologists at the Regional Veterinary Laboratory at Knockalisheen, Limerick showed the young eagle had been shot, the body holding some 45-50 shotgun pellets. The impact of the shooting broke one of its legs and wings but the bird survived some weeks after the shooting before dying. The horrific nature of the bird’s shooting and ultimate death has shocked all those involved in the reintroduction project.

Jimmy Deenihan TD, Minister for Arts, Heritage and the Gaeltacht, said: “I am shocked by this crime. The birth of this bird was a special day for nature conservation in Ireland. So much work has gone into reintroducing this species here, and there has been wonderful cooperation by many different groups to achieve successful breeding. To have all this undone is a significant blow. Eagles are protected by law. I would urge anyone with information to contact An Garda Siochána or my Department’s staff in the area."

Finding one of the first two young White-tailed Eagles to fly from a nest in Ireland shot dead is heart-breaking”, added Dr. Allan Mee, Reintroduction Project Manager. “It is absolutely incomprehensible that someone would shoot one of these magnificent birds but even more shocking is that one of the first two Irish-bred eagles has been shot only 7 months after leaving the nest”.

“Although all losses impact the project, for me the loss of this male, the first Irish-bred White-tailed Eagle of the reintroduction programme, is especially difficult to take”, added Dr. Mee. "This bird and its sibling were the hope for the future of the species in Ireland. Many people spent months closely watching this bird’s progress until it flew from the nest near Mountshannon last year. I feel gutted for these people as well as the bird. Let’s hope its sibling and the other chicks to fly from nests in Ireland in 2014 will see a better fate. Ultimately it is up to ourselves to make this happen by cherishing the wonderful wildlife we do have, including eagles, and their habitats.”

The loss of one of the new generation of Irish-bred chicks comes as a serious blow to the reintroduction project. White-tailed Eagles reach maturity and begin breeding at about 4-5 years of age. The goal of re-establishing a viable population of the species depends on young Irish-bred eagle surviving and breeding themselves into the future.

Local NPWS District Conservation Officer Stefan Jones stated that the available evidence indicated that this offence resulted in an especially drawn out and horrific death for this bird: “This bird would have been unable to fish and forage as normal, and it appears that it slowly starved to death as a result. Bearing in mind the broken limbs and the fact that it had approximately 50 shotgun pellets in it, it is amazing it managed to survive for such a period.

John Harvey, Chairman of Mountshannon Community Council, reflected the shock felt locally in East Clare at the news that the first White-tailed Eagle chick reared in Ireland has been shot. “We are absolutely appalled that someone could have done this to such a magnificent bird. The chicks that flew the nest in Mountshannon last year captured everyone’s imagination. Local people have been heavily involved in watching the breeding pair here and the progress of their two chicks. We are sickened to think that someone would callously shoot them. It feels like we haven’t moved on as a people all that much since the dark days when these magnificent birds were wiped out.”

Investigations are ongoing by both An Garda Siochána and the NPWS and into the shooting. White-tailed Eagles are protected under the Wildlife Act (1976) and it is an offense to shoot or otherwise harm the species. Anyone with information on this crime should contact, in confidence, An Garda Siochána at 067-50450 or the National Parks and Wildlife Service at 076-1002501.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 931 ✭✭✭periodictable

A crime which ought to attract a mandatory minimum sentence.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,242 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

It's despicable that someone would do this. Anti-social behaviour of the worst kind.

The amount of work the community has put into the re-introduction of these birds is enormous and for a small number of people to just decide that they'll destroy it for no good reason is deplorable.

Whoever it is, I hope they are deeply ashamed of themselves though sadly I fear that they are niot.

• Registered Users Posts: 392 ✭✭golden8

Sickening, not only was the poor bird shot but to have such a harrowing slow death.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 931 ✭✭✭periodictable

Off topic somewhat,it's the same mindset that thinks pine marten should be exterminated.
    Living in a heavily afforested area, these animals are a dime a dozen, but if your poultry shed is completely secured, you won't have any killings. I had one kill due to a rotted fascia board I neglected to repair. Mea culpa.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,236 ✭✭✭kollegeknight

I think, If caught, the people responsible should be made pay for a replacement. i realise the cost but a small fine will not stop this behaviour.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,585 ✭✭✭✭Lady Chatterton

Some good news.....

'White-tailed eagles breed successfully for second year'.

http://www.irishexaminer.com/ireland/white-tailed-eagles-breed-successfully-for-second-year-277944.html

• Registered Users Posts: 6,206 ✭✭✭emo72

was on a tour of the west and called at mount shannon today. great facilities on site, with the hut and the scope. and my first look through the scope i saw the young chick. well done to all concerned. the place is a great place to go to just sit at the waterfront. weather was beautiful today, so that definitely helped. would encourage anyone who has a passing interest to go and see these birds. they make it handy to see them.

• Advertisement
Advertisement