Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Fiat Doblo Good Or Bad

• 23-02-2013 7:47pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,088 ✭✭✭

I like the look of the Fiat Doblo (first generation) a lot :)
    It's not a caddy or a berlingo which is every second small van

BUT it's fiat :rolleyes:
    I don't want to be stuck on the roadside scratching my head wishing I went with something more "tested"

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,617 ✭✭✭ba_barabus

Brother in law has driven one for eircom for a few years with the 1.3 multijet diesel and has found it flawless if a little bare inside

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,944 ✭✭✭Bigus

Make sure you get a 1.3 multi jet, good yoke 60 mpg plus, reliable

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,088 ✭✭✭JAMES VTI S

so i wont be calling for help on the road side :)

60MPG :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,985 ✭✭✭✭dgt

so i wont be calling for help on the road side :)

60MPG :eek:

Unless it's been worked to death then no :)

BUT power .. 1.3 + 60mpg = surely zero trills

what about having 300 kg in the back

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,245 ✭✭✭Boscoirl

I have one for work, 1.3 multijet, great mpg,

The is a panel between the cab and back, a blessing on a cold morning, it heats up in no time.

BUT power .. 1.3 + 60mpg = surely zero trills

what about having 300 kg in the back

Well if bpmull sees this thread, a better view can be shared. The Astra had the same engine :)

A good friend of mine also has one and loves it.

I suppose one can't expect one with the other with an engine that size. You could try canning the nuts off it, try...

what is multi jet
    turbo? like the combo

what is multi jet
    turbo? like the combo

If 1.3 then yes

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,478 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

I'd have a doblo before a Berlingo or whatever. They look like they're made of Lego. Apparently they're pretty decent too. I've only driven the 1.3 and it was grand.

• Advertisement

I read there is trouble with the timingbelt

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,794 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

We built one at work and I drove it to UK for a show. Nice to drive, comfy....and runs on fumes. I liked it.

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,339 ✭✭✭alias no.9

AFAIK the 1.3 multijet has a chain

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭corkgsxr

My cat has more power in her farts. But if that dont bother you work away

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,737 ✭✭✭MidlandsM

can't be, they don't have one.

to be fair, Fiat never made a bad diesel engine........I'd have one...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,780 ✭✭✭sentient_6

corkgsxr wrote: »
    My cat has more power in her farts. But if that dont bother you work away

This. Had one a few times as a rental with work & its very underpowered. It's completely dead till 2.5k rpm i found. Grand van other than that though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 772 ✭✭✭GTDolanator

that engine has more issues in the combo than it does in the doblo for some reason,2 mates have had combos one from new and they've had a fair bit of bother with them

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,417 ✭✭✭The Pontiac

What about the 1.9 engine?

Anyone any opinions on this?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,221 ✭✭✭NuckingFacker

What about the 1.9 engine?

Anyone any opinions on this?
    They're fine, but again, sluggish and if you cane it, thirsty, surprisingly thirsty. Dogged enough engine -with servicing they just plod on and on. Timing belt on that one btw. I had one as a yard runabout with 500k miles on it - still have it as a matter of fact and it's doed and taxed -must get someone using it again!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,042 ✭✭✭Bpmull

I had an astra 1.3cdti which has the same engine. It was a good reliable van. Firstly the 60mpg thing is a fantasy IMO the most I ever got was 51mpg and that was driving it easy enough. Add 300kg you would doing well to see mid 40s to late 40s. The most I put in my astra was about 400 ish kg of wood flooring and it was struggling. My astra hated hills even empty. There was one perticular steep hill I travelled alot and I had to go up it in 1st no joke would not go up in 2nd.

It's a good engine reliable and reasonably powerful for a 1.3 but at the end of the day it's only a 1.3. So don't expect to put 300kg of weight in the back and not feel like your carrying it and I wouldn't expect 60mpg. But if that doesn't bother then its would be a good van and should be very reliable.

I sold my astra in January and bought a focus van 1.6tdci and although I have had some issues with it it is alot nicer to drive in terms of power even loaded full with 1/2 a tonne there's no issue with power biggest problem is stopping it when it's loaded.

• Advertisement

They're fine, but again, sluggish and if you cane it, thirsty, surprisingly thirsty. Dogged enough engine -with servicing they just plod on and on. Timing belt on that one btw. I had one as a yard runabout with 500k miles on it - still have it as a matter of fact and it's doed and taxed -must get someone using it again!
    Bpmull wrote: »
    I had an astra 1.3cdti which has the same engine. It was a good reliable van. Firstly the 60mpg thing is a fantasy IMO the most I ever got was 51mpg and that was driving it easy enough. Add 300kg you would doing well to see mid 40s to late 40s. The most I put in my astra was about 400 ish kg of wood flooring and it was struggling. My astra hated hills even empty. There was one perticular steep hill I travelled alot and I had to go up it in 1st no joke would not go up in 2nd.

It's a good engine reliable and reasonably powerful for a 1.3 but at the end of the day it's only a 1.3. So don't expect to put 300kg of weight in the back and not feel like your carrying it and I wouldn't expect 60mpg. But if that doesn't bother then its would be a good van and should be very reliable.

I sold my astra in January and bought a focus van 1.6tdci and although I have had some issues with it it is alot nicer to drive in terms of power even loaded full with 1/2 a tonne there's no issue with power biggest problem is stopping it when it's loaded.

Cheers lads.

Have my eye on a Citroen Berlingo too after a bit of searching. It'd the 2.0HDI model. Any opinions?

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 23,151 ✭✭✭✭beertons

I had a berlingo for a while. Bit of a bone shaker. Upgraded to the doblo. Man that was a great van. Sold it on to my uncle after gear box trouble, and 130k miles. Have a transit connect now, 1.6. Still long for the fiat. 1.9, 110 bhp.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,042 ✭✭✭Bpmull

Cheers lads.

Have my eye on a Citroen Berlingo too after a bit of searching. It'd the 2.0HDI model. Any opinions?

My dad drove a few of these. As a few years ago he would have been buying a good few vans for his business. He always just ended up buying the 1.9 as he wouldn't be driving them and reconed the 2.0 hdi was abit quick for the lads and might end up on the wrong side of the ditch. Although they still managed to write off a 1.9 I don't know how as there very slow. But I think for driving it yourself a 2.0 hdi would be nice. My uncle had one for 2 plus years and never had a bother with it reliability wise.

beertons wrote: »
    I had a berlingo for a while. Bit of a bone shaker. Upgraded to the doblo. Man that was a great van. Sold it on to my uncle after gear box trouble, and 130k miles. Have a transit connect now, 1.6. Still long for the fiat. 1.9, 110 bhp.

I'm reading conflicting reviews. A lot were saying the Doblo was terrible to drive.

Guess I just have to drive a few myself. Not looking for anything major with a small van, just reasonable comfort. Don't care about handling or anything.

Bpmull wrote: »
    My dad drove a few of these. As a few years ago he would have been buying a good few vans for his business. He always just ended up buying the 1.9 as he wouldn't be driving them and reconed the 2.0 hdi was abit quick for the lads and might end up on the wrong side of the ditch. Although they still managed to write off a 1.9 I don't know how as there very slow. But I think for driving it yourself a 2.0 hdi would be nice. My uncle had one for 2 plus years and never had a bother with it reliability wise.

Reading good things about the 2.0HDI. Think I could manage to stay in the right side of the ditch. Reliability more of a concern, but a bit of power is nice too.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 23,151 ✭✭✭✭beertons

I'm reading conflicting reviews. A lot were saying the Doblo was terrible to drive.

Guess I just have to drive a few myself. Not looking for anything major with a small van, just reasonable comfort. Don't care about handling or anything.

Wasn't great going round corners, but my dad probably skimped on tyres. I'd get one again in a heart beat if the transit ever made a fuss. Till then, i'm sticking with the connect.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,301 ✭✭✭Supergurrier

Would love one of these as a daily, funky looking little things too

I've gone off all these smaller "carvans" majorley and won't buy them any more - they just aren't really practical day to day - the backs too small, they're not as economical as people shyte on about and they're awful to drive day in and day out. Honestly. Smallest I'm buying is a Hiace or a swb Transit - I've an awful lot of vans - I'll live with the extra bit of fuel for the bigger capacity, higher driving position and ability to actually pull themselves out of bed.

Also, if it's french, Italian or feckin anything other than a transit or a hiace, I'm not buying it anymore either. Too much grief, tbh. Or a Hyundai H1 - good van. That is hard earned and expensively acquired advice. Buy a Hiace or a Transit or a H1. My honest opinion after many, many hundreds of thousands of euro spent on vans and repairs. Nucking.

I've gone off all these smaller "carvans" majorley and won't buy them any more - they just aren't really practical day to day - the backs too small, they're not as economical as people shyte on about and they're awful to drive day in and day out. Honestly. Smallest I'm buying is a Hiace or a swb Transit - I've an awful lot of vans - I'll live with the extra bit of fuel for the bigger capacity, higher driving position and ability to actually pull themselves out of bed.

Also, if it's french, Italian or feckin anything other than a transit or a hiace, I'm not buying it anymore either. Too much grief, tbh. Or a Hyundai H1 - good van. That is hard earned and expensively acquired advice. Buy a Hiace or a Transit or a H1. My honest opinion after many, many hundreds of thousands of euro spent on vans and repairs. Nucking.

Thanks.

Might just go with a Transit Connect then. Don't really need massive space. The smallest Connect would be fine.

• Advertisement

Thanks.

Might just go with a Transit Connect then. Don't really need massive space. The smallest Connect would be fine.
    connects are tough, easy to service, electrically straightforward, not too economical and very uncomfortable to drive. The last bit I'd ignore in favor of the first bit. Top plus is they're not french. Be my choice in your position anyway.:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 382 ✭✭eire-kp

+1 for a Berlingo 2.0 Hdi I had one for the last year. Reasonably lively for a van when empty.

Timing belt is cheap to do. Just make sure the supension and bushings are good. They're pretty sought after though and its a sellers market I could have sold mine 10 times. If it was a 1.6 hdi or a 1.9 I'm quite sure it would still be sitting on my street.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,301 ✭✭✭Supergurrier

Doblo would be no worse than a connect tbh.

As for the hiace they are a pointless van platform way too small to be considered even as viable as a swb transit.

For proper vans its lwb french van or bust

• Closed Accounts Posts: 275 ✭✭jacob2

a friend of mine has a fiat doblo diesel 1.3 multijet clutch master cylinder prone to break were it connects to the cluth pedal its a plastic shaft the new one he fitted has a metal shaft. the fiat dealer said he sells 6 clutch master cylinders a month it a common fault and 80 euro less out of your pocket its a 2006 model

Advertisement