Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Please help me out!

• 30-04-2014 8:32am
    Registered Users Posts: 304 ✭✭

Okay so I bought my first car the other day! 2002 Mitsubishi colt 1.3 comfort. Had 83k miles done on it and was nctd and taxed until next year! He got the nct in February 2000 miles ago. Anyway I don't really know anything about cars so I'm just gonna ask a few things! First of all the engine seems really loud and ticks too, there's a huge exhaust on it if that could be the reason? If it isn't what could be causing this? Also it's very rattely and smoke comes out the exhaust. I've let my man and her boyfriend both drive it around and they said it's lovely to drive and everything like that is completely normal with it! My question is: are those things normal or what could be causing them? You also feel every bump in it too! Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,497 ✭✭✭✭guil

Why did you buy it if those things bothered you? Did you get anyone that knows about cars to check it before you bought it?

• Registered Users Posts: 304 ✭✭11521323

guil wrote: »
    Why did you buy it if those things bothered you? Did you get anyone that knows about cars to check it before you bought it?

Never said it bothered me at all I'm just asking does it mean anythings wrong with it or is it normal? It's only to do me a year or so if even anyway so I wasn't going to do much other than get someone to test drive it who told me everything's alright with it after.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,585 ✭✭✭jca

Looks like it's been girl racered. A replacement exhaust should sort the excess noise. The comfort issue could be more expensive to sort out, you'll need a set of original springs for starters.

jca wrote: »
    Looks like it's been girl racered. A replacement exhaust should sort the excess noise. The comfort issue could be more expensive to sort out, you'll need a set of original springs for starters.

Everyone I've let drive it says it drives fine so I'd say it's just the shocks are gone and that's whats causing the bumpiness but other than that I don't mind the engine noise. Is ticking A little bit normal?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,693 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

Doubt the shocks are gone, its probably been lowered and more than likely on cut springs so have that checked out just in case.

The big exhaust, depending on if its annoyingly loud or not I would leave it be. The colt hasn't exactly alot of soundproofing in it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 488 ✭✭The Diddakoi

The ticking noise could be caused by a few things.
    Low engine oil, low oil pressure or a loose valve in the engine. The first two you can probably check yourself, but you'd probably need a mechanic to do a valve check.
    If you have low profile tyres or run flats fitted it can cause a rough ride too.

jonny24ie wrote: »
    Doubt the shocks are gone, its probably been lowered and more than likely on cut springs so have that checked out just in case.

The big exhaust, depending on if its annoyingly loud or not I would leave it be. The colt hasn't exactly alot of soundproofing in it.

That's great thanks man. Not too worried as everything else seems to be fine in it. Was just asking about the noise as I don't know enough to know if it's normal or not. But I'll definitely get the springs checked, does look like it's been lowered a bit.

Anyone else think it could be anything else?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 154 ✭✭chrisb1

Change the exhaust to standard if it's to loud
    is the car lowered might have 40mm 60mm springs fitted or even coilovers or have Polyurethane Bushings fitted
    if springs are cut change asap

A for smoke is it when you leave it ticking over and rev it you find it smokey if so problem could be oil seals might need doing

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,313 ✭✭✭Mycroft H

Put up a picture?

• Advertisement

chrisb1 wrote: »
    Change the exhaust to standard if it's to loud
    is the car lowered might have 40mm 60mm springs fitted or even coilovers or have Polyurethane Bushings fitted
    if springs are cut change asap

A for smoke is it when you leave it ticking over and rev it you find it smokey if so problem could be oil seals might need doing

Don't think it's lowered think it might just be the body kit on it that makes it look that way ilk check later. How much would springs cost to buy and get em fitted?

Mycroft H wrote: »
    Put up a picture?

Picture of what? An overview shot of the car won't tell you anything, the engine? Or what?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,617 ✭✭✭ba_barabus

11521323 wrote: »
    Picture of what? An overview shot of the car won't tell you anything, the engine? Or what?

It'll give an indication if its lowered and maybe how

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,060 ✭✭✭Kenny Logins

An exhaust leak at the engine end can produce a very annoying ticking sound.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,014 ✭✭✭Maphisto

I think you said up the top that you only want it for a year or so?

If that's the case, you have a year's nct - no worries. I wouldn't go changing exhausts or springs, just make sure it has oil and coolant.

Good luck.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭goz83

The ticking could be tappet noise. Get good oil in there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 154 ✭✭chrisb1

11521323 wrote: »
    Don't think it's lowered think it might just be the body kit on it that makes it look that way ilk check later. How much would springs cost to buy and get em fitted?

Join jdm-irl seek out a chap called davedrave he is the sites mitsubishi head he should have shocks and springs or know where to get them

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭Andy_Dublin

The ticking is a common problem with the hydraulic lifters in Mitsubishi engines of that era. As said by someone else it could be a low/lack of oil issue, also could be the use of the incorrect oil weight and viscosity. Check oil levels and if there is sufficient oil get the oil changed for the correct grade to see if it remedies the ticking. It might even need a few oil changes to clear out the old oil. The lifters can be changed/cleaned, it's not detrimental to the engine though if you can put up with the noise.

Advertisement