Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Childcare

Options
  • 21-04-2014 10:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭

I currently work in childcare. I was hired without the fetec level 5 Childcare certificate but took some courses and hold 5 out of the 8 modules of the award. I never completed all 8 modules as it was too expensive to carry on the course. This was back in 2010.

I carried on working there with no problems.

I got a letter today from head office saying if I didnt finish the course I will lose my job. I can't afford to start the course again and I haven't got the time after work to do it either with small children of my own.

Just wondering where I stand. As I was hired without this requirement and its not in my contract to have it but with these new child care regulations coming out everyone working in Childcare must have the full fetec level 5 cert.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,723 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

You need to confirm this with your union or a lawer, but I would imagine that you will be entitled to redundancy if you lose your job because your current position (unqualified childcare worker) is no longer required.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,043 ✭✭✭Wabbit Ears

Id say look into getting a loan to cover the costs and study at night. This is the way the wind is blowing and if you loose this job for not being qualified it will make getting another job that much harder.

• Registered Users Posts: 567 ✭✭✭DM addict

Fellow childcare worker here - which modules have you not done? I think you can actually do some of them online through NCNA.

Speak to your work - tell them that you want to get the qualification, but that you might need help with funding/time off/something. I'm sure they'd rather get their current staff qualified than have to hire someone new.

Just checked the regulations - you have until Sept 2015 to get these last few modules - it should be possible.

Details here - http://www.earlychildhoodireland.ie/training-and-education/qualifications-for-early-childhood-care-and-education/

Also, I think FAS might do childcare training courses. Not sure about eligibility for those though, you might have to be unemployed etc.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭John Mason

there is currently a study grant available from Pobal, the closing date is coming up.

also you have been aware for a number of years that this change was coming.

are you entitled to avail of the grandfather clause?

• Registered Users Posts: 1 JaneC2013

Yea I would go down the route of repeating the fetac level 5 course again. Regulations will strictly enforce that all childcare workers have a minimum of fetac level 5.

• Advertisement
Advertisement