Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

New Albums

2»

Comments

• Subscribers Posts: 8,322 ✭✭✭Scubadevils

He's playing a live show in Tripod in October. I seen him there in 2007 and he was immense, one of the best gigs i've ever been to. Last time I checked, ticketmaster was selling early bird tickets for €20.

Cool, I'll have to try get to that so, loved his first album too so can imagine it was a good gig in 07.

New album from Shed due on the 30th August, one to look forward to.
    Rene Pawlowitz, AKA Shed, will release his next album this August on Ostgut Ton.

The Traveller will follow up Pawlowitz's acclaimed debut full-length, Shedding The Past, RA's favorite of 2008. Since then, the Berlin-based producer has released a steady stream of 12-inches under his various pseudonyms—EQD, WAX and most recently The Panamax Project—plus a collaborative EP with Marcel Dettmann as Deuce. According to a press release, The Traveller boasts the same respect for early '90s techno that made Shedding the Past distinctive, including flirtations with breakbeat and acid house. The album will be available digitally as well as on CD and double-vinyl.

Tracklist
    01. STP 2
    02. Keep Time
    03. The Bot
    04. Atmo - Action
    05. 44A (Hard Wax forever!)
    06. ...Can't Feel It
    07. Mayday
    08. No Way!
    09. HDRTM
    10. My R-Class
    11. Final Experiment
    12. The Traveller
    13. Hello Bleep!
    14. Leave Things

Ostgut Ton will release The Traveller on August 30th, 2010.
    http://www.residentadvisor.net/news.aspx?id=12407

Picked up 'Environments 3' by FSOL last week, another great installment to the series and lots of FSOL moments of old such as the track below.

http://www.discogs.com/Future-Sound-Of-London-Environments-3/master/251758

The Future Sound Of London - The Empty Land

Also, 'Neptunes Lair' by Drexciya has been reissued on Tresor... its been expensive-ish for the last while as it was out of print for a few years. Picked up my copy in Tower Records but I see it on amazon pretty cheap.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Neptunes-Lair-Drexciya/dp/B003JL80O0/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=music&qid=1282991875&sr=8-1

http://www.discogs.com/Drexciya-Neptunes-Lair/master/535

Drexciya - Andreaen Sand Dunes

Drexciya - Triangular Hydrogen Strain

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,111 ✭✭✭joker77

Have been listening to this more or less constantly since the weekend. I know it's a mix album - but I think it's worth a mention in this thread. I'm a big Minilogue fan, and this showcases a lot of their stuff:

Sebastian Mullaert aka Minilogue* - WaWuWe
    Mule electronic proudly announce the first mix cd of Minilogue (Sebastian Mullaert)!! Fantastic swedish duo "Minilogue" have released from highly acclaimed labels like Cocoon, Wagon Repair, Mule Electronic and they became one of the best techno artists in the world. You know Minilogue have two faces: dance oriented music and ambient music. Sebastian Mullaert (he is in charge of djing on Minilogue) show the moody and slower side at cd1 and his peak time selection at cd2. Sebastian put many exclusive new songs of Minilogue,first solo production of himself and first collaboration track of Minilogue and Koss. Single cut of Minilogue and Sebastian solo will be released at the same time with the mix cd. Now Minilogue and Koss are working for more music and maybe we can expect their collaboration album in 2011. This mix cd is live mix without computer. The seemless computer mix is sometimes good for home listening but live mix definitely have more soul and emotion. CD1 kicks off by Sebastian's own track and he mixed his favorite psychedelic ambient house like new release of Donato Dozzy on Mule or his friend "Kab" and "The Mole". CD2 is faster and bit pumping and clubby sounding like a Minilogue's dance track. This mix cd is a long awaited and Minilogue's first mix cd and included the first Sebastian Mullaert solo production and long awaited new Minilogue stuff. Other exclusive material on this mix cd will be released on Mule Electronic after the mix cd is released.

http://www.discogs.com/Sebastian-Mullaert-aka-Minilogue-WaWuWe/release/2428916

CD 1

01 Sebastian Mullaert – Lyssna Da Björkarna Viskar!
    02 Claudio Fabrianesi & Donato Dozzy – Fade Out
    03 Leftover – Release
    04 Roger Gerressen – When We were Young
    05 KAB – Social Events
    06 The Mole – Bounty Hunter
    07 El Txef A – She Kissed Me First (Minilogue Ghoest Disco)
    08 Sebastian Mullaert – Music Becomes A Function
    09 STL – Silent State
    10 Darko Esser – Balans
    11 Minilogue – Jakata B
    12 Black Jazz Consortium – Something Old
    13 Koss vs Minilogue – One
    14 Minilogue – Tzymbals
    15 Gunnar Jonsson – Massagerutin 1

CD 2

01 The Machine – Fuse (Ame Remix)
    02 Joe Claussell – Je Ka Jo (Drums Of Passion)
    03 Oleg Poliakov – Midnight Vultures
    04 Jerome sydenham & Dennis Ferrer – Jero (Extended)
    05 Minilogue – Intermediate State
    06 Rejected – Lost
    07 Sebastian Mullaert – Falling From Flowers
    08 Cobblestone Jazz – Chance Dub
    09 Mike Dehnert – Umlaut2 (First Version)
    10 Marlon D – Trust The Drum (Agry Edit)
    11 Samuel L Session – 101 Staccato (Beats)
    12 The Black Dog – Cctv Nation (Slam Remix)
    13 Sebastian Mullaert – Voices Around The Fire
    14 Daniel Mehlhart – Deep Crazy Synth (Miniloque’s District 7 Dub)
    15 Nsi. – Dual
    16 Cio D’or – Goldbrokat
    17 XDB – My Secret Garden

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 332 ✭✭xdeletiax

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,723 ✭✭✭empirix

Zascar wrote: »
    Been meaning to listen this for ages, just stuck it on now and its really cool, different.

Pantha Du Prince - Black Noise
    pantha_blacknoise_cover.jpg

http://boomkat.com/cds/255172-pantha-du-prince-black-noise
    http://soundcloud.com/panthaduprince

Check out his 2nd album This Bliss , a majestic album,his best, things are starting to take off for this guy, reaaly impressive but yet simple happy sounds. His first album Diamond Daze is good too, no where near as good as this bliss and Black nosie though!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,747 ✭✭✭MikeHoncho

Been listening to ASC's album Nothing Is Certain a lot over the last week or so and its brilliant. Highly recommend.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,670 ✭✭✭jonnny68

This has to rank as the best album of the year to date, absolute quality, Tensnake fuses many different styles together, 10/10:cool:

Tensnake In The House

Tensnake In The House is the first commercially released mix album from Marco Niemerski aka Tensnake. It’s eagerly awaited, that’s for sure, and driven by the killer single ‘Coma Cat’, it captures exactly where he is at right now. Combining the current vogue for space funk and cosmic disco, fusing lo-fi jams and electronic sounds with old school melodies and laidback vibes, Tensnake moves effortlessly between retro and recent sounds creating a joyful party experience.
    This heavily anticipated release from Defected features Lindstrom & Prins Thomas, Ame, Jamie Jones, MCDE, DJ Sneak, Michael Mayer and, of course, the anthem ‘Coma Cat’.

1820.jpg

http://www.defected.com/store/details/Various/Tensnake+In+The+House/1820/d

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,401 ✭✭✭jtsuited

wow I'm actually surprised by that mix. Lot of quality in there, and not the usual cheesey sh1t they're normally pushing.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

One of the tracks is from an Irish guy from Mano Le Tough

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,020 ✭✭✭ianuss

The amount of Irish people doing great things at the moment is actually incredible.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,670 ✭✭✭jonnny68

Defected is a great label, occasionally the release some cheesy anthem but they have released some amazing tunes over the years.

Tensnake in the House is the business, it's all about fusing different styles, sticking to the one style all the time as ive said many times is mundane and boring.

joker77 wrote: »
    Have been listening to this more or less constantly since the weekend. I know it's a mix album - but I think it's worth a mention in this thread. I'm a big Minilogue fan, and this showcases a lot of their stuff:

Sebastian Mullaert aka Minilogue* - WaWuWe
    Mule electronic proudly announce the first mix cd of Minilogue (Sebastian Mullaert)!! Fantastic swedish duo "Minilogue" have released from highly acclaimed labels like Cocoon, Wagon Repair, Mule Electronic and they became one of the best techno artists in the world. You know Minilogue have two faces: dance oriented music and ambient music. Sebastian Mullaert (he is in charge of djing on Minilogue) show the moody and slower side at cd1 and his peak time selection at cd2. Sebastian put many exclusive new songs of Minilogue,first solo production of himself and first collaboration track of Minilogue and Koss. Single cut of Minilogue and Sebastian solo will be released at the same time with the mix cd. Now Minilogue and Koss are working for more music and maybe we can expect their collaboration album in 2011. This mix cd is live mix without computer. The seemless computer mix is sometimes good for home listening but live mix definitely have more soul and emotion. CD1 kicks off by Sebastian's own track and he mixed his favorite psychedelic ambient house like new release of Donato Dozzy on Mule or his friend "Kab" and "The Mole". CD2 is faster and bit pumping and clubby sounding like a Minilogue's dance track. This mix cd is a long awaited and Minilogue's first mix cd and included the first Sebastian Mullaert solo production and long awaited new Minilogue stuff. Other exclusive material on this mix cd will be released on Mule Electronic after the mix cd is released.

http://www.discogs.com/Sebastian-Mullaert-aka-Minilogue-WaWuWe/release/2428916

CD 1

01 Sebastian Mullaert – Lyssna Da Björkarna Viskar!
    02 Claudio Fabrianesi & Donato Dozzy – Fade Out
    03 Leftover – Release
    04 Roger Gerressen – When We were Young
    05 KAB – Social Events
    06 The Mole – Bounty Hunter
    07 El Txef A – She Kissed Me First (Minilogue Ghoest Disco)
    08 Sebastian Mullaert – Music Becomes A Function
    09 STL – Silent State
    10 Darko Esser – Balans
    11 Minilogue – Jakata B
    12 Black Jazz Consortium – Something Old
    13 Koss vs Minilogue – One
    14 Minilogue – Tzymbals
    15 Gunnar Jonsson – Massagerutin 1

CD 2

01 The Machine – Fuse (Ame Remix)
    02 Joe Claussell – Je Ka Jo (Drums Of Passion)
    03 Oleg Poliakov – Midnight Vultures
    04 Jerome sydenham & Dennis Ferrer – Jero (Extended)
    05 Minilogue – Intermediate State
    06 Rejected – Lost
    07 Sebastian Mullaert – Falling From Flowers
    08 Cobblestone Jazz – Chance Dub
    09 Mike Dehnert – Umlaut2 (First Version)
    10 Marlon D – Trust The Drum (Agry Edit)
    11 Samuel L Session – 101 Staccato (Beats)
    12 The Black Dog – Cctv Nation (Slam Remix)
    13 Sebastian Mullaert – Voices Around The Fire
    14 Daniel Mehlhart – Deep Crazy Synth (Miniloque’s District 7 Dub)
    15 Nsi. – Dual
    16 Cio D’or – Goldbrokat
    17 XDB – My Secret Garden

I listened to disc 1 last night. It's very, very good. Builds really nicely.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,111 ✭✭✭joker77

ianuss wrote: »
    I listened to disc 1 last night. It's very, very good. Builds really nicely.
    Glad you enjoyed. Second disc has a few more dancefloor friendly tracks on it - very good stuff as well

• Advertisement

Heard this playing in a shop yesterday and really caught my attention. Just looked up now and absolutely being bought tomorrow... seriously unusual but captivating stuff, I know what I'll be chillin out to by this time tomorrow night :pac:

Salem - King Night
    Truly EPIC debut album from unavoidable Drag/Witch-House protagonists, Salem - quite easily the years most exhilarating listen. Since 2008 this trio have been spiking the sewers of pop with prescribed doses of scarily prescient ghettogothic crunk on Acephalé and Merok records, inventing one of the most spellbinding modern genres in the process. They're a tiding of ghoulish pop magpies, accepting of all that is good and grimy about ubiquitous mainstream saturation and robosexual R'n'B, absorbing and filtering their most unheimlich elements and enhancing them with a blank-eyed Shoegaze aesthetic, wickedly exaggerating and distorting their features until they leer back with overwhelming intensity, simultaneously creating one of the most oppressing and liberated sounds you've heard in years. Their vision and influence has spawned a coven of scattered, yet like-minded operators in Hype Williams, Balam Acab and oOoOO among others, finding kindred spirits in the affective potential of chopped and screwed rap and classic 4AD feelings, cutting past any ironic bullsh*t to acutely fulfill the needs of a generation searching for viscerally psyched, tactile "experiences". Following a tiny handful of 7"s, 'King Night' is their defining statement, eleven tracks of devastating, slo-mo MPC drum fills worthy of Araab Music, fused to nuclear synth bursts delivered with an achingly blank insouciance, all smeared in acetone-wet MDMA and left to degrade in a Michigan basement until it's nerves are permanently polarised, fluctuating between extreme, saccharine euphoria and melancholy misanthropy. Inside you'll find the revamped 808-rolling genius of 'Redlights' from their 'Yes, I Smoke Crack' debut 7", the slow nosebleed beauty of 'Traxx', sounding like Seefeel on a codeine overdose, next to the narco-saturated E and E-esque synth saturation of 'Sick', and the supremely uncomfortable MBV intensity of 'Release Of The Boar'. Every time we come back to this album we uncover yet more bewitching, peripheral "what the f*ck was that?!" moments, like where the rhythm seems to slip out of place in 'Frost', (but did it?) or wondering what the hell the drawling rap of "I Can't Feel It/ I Can't Feeeel Sh*t" in 'Trapdoor' is all about. 'King Night' defines the intangibly elusive, illusive, and yet omnipresent contradictions of contemporary pop culture and we can't recommend it any higher. Serious contender for album of the year.
    http://boomkat.com/cds/338430-salem-king-night

King Night

Traxx

xdeletiax wrote: »

Ha - and then I see this post after, cracking stuff alright, must remember to listen to everything in these threads in future, could have missed this except for hearing yesterday.

empirix wrote: »
    Check out his 2nd album This Bliss , a majestic album,his best, things are starting to take off for this guy, reaaly impressive but yet simple happy sounds. His first album Diamond Daze is good too, no where near as good as this bliss and Black nosie though!

Yeah I picked up 'This Bliss' a few weeks ago in Tower, great album.

New album from Anders Ilar, wow :eek:

Anders Ilar - Stories of Old

http://www.discogs.com/Anders-Ilar-Stories-Of-Old/release/2469304

Carving Wooden Hearts

Cries of the Wilderness

Also this track on the labels website... can't wait for this album to land through my letter box.

http://yardrec.com/

I'm quite liking what I've heard of the album 'She Was Coloured In' by the Irish act Solar Bears, think they are from Greystones or somewhere? Anyway, perfect smoke music :pac:

Solar Bears - Twin Stars

Solar Bears - She Was Coloured In

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 216 ✭✭Diego Smartly

DarkstarNorth.jpg

Don't think anyone has mentioned Darkstar's new one North on Hyperdub so thought I'd give it a mention.

Its been getting mental reviews all across the board; not just on the likes of Fact or xlr8r and I definitely don't disagree with them. To be honest it wasn't what I was expecting at all but I was pleasantly surprised. They've kinda changed from just 2 producers to a 3 piece band more less, complete with non sampled vocals and all.

Defo worth picking up, very chilled and melodic.

An extract from an interview they did here that I really agreed with or kinda got the feeling of while I was listening:

"Even beyond its title, the spectre of the north of England, where the trio grew up, haunts the album. “There are a lot of lyrical references back to the north,” agrees Young. “Anything from ex-girlfriends to people I’m fond of, friends... Really mundane things from the outside, but I like interesting things about everyday normality. That’s what’s around me, so it’s what I write about. You get a melody and write about how you’re feeling that day, or something in the past, or someone in particular.” Even to an outside listener it provokes a slow-burning nostalgia..."

MikeHoncho wrote: »
    Been listening to ASC's album Nothing Is Certain a lot over the last week or so and its brilliant. Highly recommend.

Been meaning to listen to these and only did tonight - defo added to my want list!

Been meaning to listen to these and only did tonight - defo added to my want list!

here's some more to whet the appetite; ASC mix

http://theasc.blogspot.com/2010/03/studio-mix-march-2010.html

A collection of tracks rather than an album, 2 x CDs showcasing early acid house on the WAU! Mr Modo label which was owned by Alex Paterson & Youth. Also a bonus mixed disc of tracks from the label.

The Orb & Youth - Impossible Oddities

OrbYouth.jpg

Tracklist
    CD1
    01. The Orb – Little Fluffy Clouds [Demo Version]
    02. Eternity – Ashram House (Extended Mix)
    03. The Orb – Tripping On Sunshine (Live Mix)
    04. Discotec 2000 – Feel This
    05. STP Twentythree – Let Jimi Take Over (Ultramix 1)
    06. Johnson Dean feat. Lynda Law – Somebody Somwhere (Black Country Mix)
    07. Uncle 22 – Love
    08. Paradise X – 2 Much (Out Of This World Mix)
    09. Delkom – Superjack (Orbital Infusion 2000)
    10. Sun Electric – O’Locco (Orbital Therapy Part 1)
    11. Indica All Stars – Open Our Eyes (Original)
    12. Indica All Stars – Open Our Eyes (New Style Version)
    13. Mystic Knights – Filo Funk

CD2
    01. Zoe – Sunshine on a Rainy Day [Reformation Version]
    02. Blowfly – Work Your Body (Work Your Body Mix)
    03. Eternity – Blackcurrant
    04. Insync – Reflection
    05. Readymade – See Saw (Victor)
    06. STP Twenty Three – Some Lovin’ (Just a Beat) (Massive Mix)
    07. Uncle 22 – Sulpher Salsa
    08. Lyndsey Holloday – Feel the Love
    09. Insync – Dark Side of the Moon (Original Mix)
    10. Mystic Knights – The Wrath of Khan (Long Play Mix)
    11. Uncle 22 – Is It House?
    12. Sound Irritation – Seventh Seal

CD3: Mixed by The Orb
    01. Uncle 22 – The Man From…
    02. Sun Electric – O’Locco (Orbital Therapy Part 5)
    03. STP Twentythree – Goldfinger (Alpine Drive Mix)
    04. Paradise X – 2 Much (Out Of This World Mix)
    05. Georgette Della Rosa D’ya Wanna (Roots Mix)
    06. Readymade – Ambient State (Edit)
    07. Insync – Dark Side of the Moon (Ambient Mix)
    08. Mystic Knights – Filo Funk
    09. Jam on the Mutha – Hotel California (Orbitally Ambient Mix)
    10. Appolo XI – Peace (In the Middle East)
    11. STP Twentythree – I’m Gonna Love You (Pablo Style Mix)
    12. Delkom – Superjack (Neutron Infusion 9000)
    A mammoth triple-disc retrospective of the pioneering acid house label WAU! Mr Modo, curated by its founders, The Orb's Alex Patterson and Youth, of Killing Joke fame. The first two discs compile all the label's key early releases from artists such as STP Twentythree, Eternity, Delkom, Paradise X, Sun Electric, Mystic Knights and, perhaps most famously, Zoe, whose 'Sunshine On A Rainy Day' gave the label one of its biggest hits. Patterson and Youth feature too of course, and the very first disc begins with a never-before heard demo version of The Orb's classic 'Little Fluffy Clouds'. Meanwhile over on the third disc there's a single, continuous mix by The Orb, spinning through a sequence of yet more label highlights
    http://boomkat.com/cds/340847-the-orb-youth-impossible-oddities

Just downloaded the new Eno album and 5 tracks in - loving it. Also fckin great how with Warp titles you order from Bleep and get to download in either WAV or 320kbps and the physical release is sent in the post, brilliant, I wish all labels would do this.

http://bleep.com/index.php?page=release_details&releaseid=26361

Brian Eno - 2 Forms Of Anger

Brian Eno - Late Anthropocene

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,787 ✭✭✭g5fd6ow0hseima

3 tracks into the latest offering from The Black Dog and already in love - more minimal than the last couple of albums but equally brilliant already. Its plays as a continuous mix and they've explained some logic behind that below. I can't believe to be honest that they've yet again released what seems to be another gem!

The Black Dog - Liber Dogma

Liber.jpg

http://www.discogs.com/Black-Dog-Liber-Dogma/master/378259
    Soma Records are proud to announce The Black Dog’s new album Liber Dogma. Liber Dogma will be released on the label in October 2011 and will feature a sound The Black Dog have honed through their renowned live sets, focusing on raw and rhythmic sounds made for the dancefloor.

The Black Dog said: “This album is about surrendering to hypnotic, physical music played loud in big, dark rooms. We always wanted to make an album that reflects the kind of set we play live, and that’s what we’ve done with Liber Dogma. It’s all about red lights, a smoke machine, a single strobe, a Funktion One soundsystem… and The Black Dog. We’ve played all over the world and we’ve brought that vibe back to our lab. Forget the fancy lighting, the indoor scarves, the hair do’s and the hair don’ts – **** all of that. Music is about losing yourself and having a good time with friends and that’s what this album will help you do.”
    http://www.theblackdogma.com/tbd/2011/02/the-black-dog-announce-new-album-liber-dogma/

Ah holy sht, now on track 7 of the above - :eek: its an unreal album.

Clearly I have got quite excited about this and probably need to chill out a little :pac: I've upped a track in the meantime to YT which is just oozing with the feel of this album as it starts to peak. If the Black Dog ever come to Dublin and I don't attend I need to be instantly shot.

The Black Dog - Single Light Focus

• Advertisement

Picked up the Walls album 'Coracle' also today and while I'm not quite wetting myself in the same way as I have been for the Black Dog, its still a great album and will probably shine even more when I revisit in the coming days. A nice example of its content -

Sunporch

Into Our Midst

http://www.discogs.com/Walls-Coracle/master/371671
    I'm old enough to remember the point in the mid-90s when music journalists at ostensibly rock oriented publications (NME,Melody Maker, Vox, Select; the ones that don't really exist anymore) started to try and grapple critically with the proliferation of people making borderline experimental dance music which threatened to, and in some cases spectacularly did, crossover to a rock/indie audience. Orbital, Chemical Brothers, Leftfield, Future Sound Of London, Plaid, Mouse On Mars, Autechre, and others whose names escape me, were praised for their music but often criticised for being “faceless techno duos”, as if music journalists at the time couldn't quite get to grips with anyone whose career managed to exists sans a stylist.

Perhaps thanks to Aphex Twin's visual head****ery and Boards Of Canada's outright lies regarding their provenance at the turn of the millenium, we've moved on a little now, and the fact that I have no idea what Alessio Natalizia and Sam Willis, who are the faceless techno duo known as Walls, look like, barely musters mention, let alone concern. I have no idea what **** Buttons look like either, or Nicolas Jaar, or The Field, or Luke Abbott, or… you get my drift. I might be able to pick Dan Snaith or Lindstrom out of a police line-up, but only just. In the internet age we'll happily write about your music and even interview you without needing a mugshot as accompaniment; as long as your music has some personality, you can be as faceless as you like.

The problem with Walls' eponymous debut album from last year is that it didn't quite have that requisite personality, at least not to my ears. Sure, it sounded nice enough, garnered good reviews, and I personally listened to it plenty, but it felt a little underdone, as if it was merely on the way to being a good record. Listening back to it now, in the light of Walls' new album Coracle, it seems like a collation of signifiers and ideas – a smidgeon of 4AD haze, a suggestion of Kompakt rhythms, a whiff of My Bloody Valentine guitars, an approximation of kosmische textures – lacking in substance, in tunes, in focus. The fact that its eight tracks came in at barely 29 minutes didn't help; there wasn't time for personality to emerge to ideas to be developed beyond signifiers.

But Coracle is a big improvement from there. The cover artwork, font, layout, and song titles may make it seem like exactly the same generic dreamy electronica (they're nothing if not consistent with visuals), but musically Willis and Natalizia have upped their game tremendously. ‘Into Our Midst' might be my favourite opening track of the year; certainly it's my favourite opening to an electronic record, emerging from nothingness, resting on a swaying, minimal pulse, and teasing your ears with sensual, breathy vocals that gently call to each other across the soundstage before evolving through a series of delicious oscillating phases, which introduce ideas to each other before easing each of them back out of the frame to leave nothing but the rhythm. It feels massively more sophisticated than anything from the debut.

Even when their music falls away to ambient nothingness, like on the pithily titled ‘Vacant', Walls seem more in control and mature, as if they have a reason and aim for doing so rather than just feeling as if they ought to because that's what people who make atmospheric electronic music do. Likewise ‘Ecstatic truth' reaches for its eponymous emotional territory in a way that the duo seemed unable to 12 months ago, a growing confidence allowing them to explore emotional territories as well as textural ones.

It now makes more sense that Walls are on Kompakt too; there's more groove here, more emphasis on rhythm and pulse driving the textures and combining with them to harvest emotional responses, than there was before; ‘Sunporch' feels like the kind of music that would make you feel superhuman if you played it whilst standing atop a cliff in Ibiza, soaking in the sun and the scale of the world. That Walls and The Field are labelmates feels right; there's a definite kinship between Coracle and Axel Willner.

There's a post on The Guardian's music blog this week about how Walls are toying with the idea of making music to be listened to in flotation tanks during relaxation therapies. As someone in his 30s with a growing list of muscular injuries brought about by cycling and shed-building, the idea of soothing my aching shoulders to something purposely composed by this duo, as opposed to whale-song or Enya, is delicious. Coracle is a perfect soundtrack to the hazy, misty-morninged Indian summer we're enjoying. Long may it continue.
    http://thequietus.com/articles/07129-walls-coracle-review

Advertisement