Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

N3 to become M3 Clonee/North of Kells

Options
  • 27-05-2010 6:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 11,435 ✭✭✭✭

What is to happen to the N3 as I presume it will now be made inaccessible with the new toll road. So if travelling out the navan road you will have to pay the toll. Also what about people who for example live in the likes of Dunshauglin and drive on a provisional license. How do they now travel into Dublin or to do shopping in the local Blanchardstown centre ? Is it just a case of tough luck and be made to go out of their way and use back roads ? Seems ridiculous and unfair on people who live out that way.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,834 ✭✭✭munchkin_utd

the old road will still be there parallel to the motorway and perfectly accessable. And the small stretch at clonee that is being redesignated as a Motorway is also paralleled by other non motorway roads.
    The future layout is pretty much 100% there in open street map
    http://www.openstreetmap.org/
    And plenty of scope for toll dodging too should you not have the 1.30 for the toll.

And learner drivers. Thats not an issue. They by law ALWAYS must have a full qualified driver sitting beside them.
    a) if they do, then they can drive the old road or stop for a sec and let the fully licenced driver whizz them to the blanch centre.
    b) if they havent got a fully licenced driver beside them, they are already facing a minimum 1000 euro fine so they may as well drive on the motorway seeing as they have no regard for the law of the land in the first place. If you are breaking one law why does breaking a few more matter to you?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,435 ✭✭✭✭redout

the old road will still be there parallel to the motorway and perfectly accessable. And the small stretch at clonee that is being redesignated as a Motorway is also paralleled by other non motorway roads.
    The future layout is pretty much 100% there in open street map
    http://www.openstreetmap.org/
    And plenty of scope for toll dodging too should you not have the 1.30 for the toll.

And learner drivers. Thats not an issue. They by law ALWAYS must have a full qualified driver sitting beside them.
    a) if they do, then they can drive the old road or stop for a sec and let the fully licenced driver whizz them to the blanch centre.
    b) if they havent got a fully licenced driver beside them, they are already facing a minimum 1000 euro fine so they may as well drive on the motorway seeing as they have no regard for the law of the land in the first place. If you are breaking one law why does breaking a few more matter to you?

Are you sure about the toll dodging ? I heard that they were going to be blocking off access. It wouldnt make much sense putting in the toll road if the N3 remained perfectly accessible like you pointed out.

EDIT: Just thinking the simple solution would be to exit the N3 at Clonee and head for the R147 at the small roundabout coming into Dunboyne as that would take you back onto the N3 but I drove there yesterday evening and noticed that the exit on the roundabout for the R147 was blocked off. I just presumed that it was roadworks but now thinking about it I reckon it could be part of this blocking off access which I have heard about. Anyone confirm that ? I wonder if you could go through Dunboyne and join up with the R157 as that also joins up with the N3. Not sure if access will be blocked off there also or at the roundabout joining the N3 but eitherway its a bit out of the way to say the least.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,894 ✭✭✭✭Stark

redout wrote: »
    Are you sure about the toll dodging ? I heard that they were going to be blocking off access. It wouldnt make much sense putting in the toll road if the N3 remained perfectly accessible like you pointed out.

No they're not. A road must always have an alternative parallel route if it's to be designated motorway.
    EDIT: Just thinking the simple solution would be to exit the N3 at Clonee and head for the R147 at the small roundabout coming into Dunboyne as that would take you back onto the N3 but I drove there yesterday evening and noticed that the exit on the roundabout for the R147 was blocked off. I just presumed that it was roadworks but now thinking about it I reckon it could be part of this blocking off access which I have heard about. Anyone confirm that ? I wonder if you could go through Dunboyne and join up with the R157 as that also joins up with the N3. Not sure if access will be blocked off there also or at the roundabout joining the N3 but eitherway its a bit out of the way to say the least.

It's only blocked off for roadworks. As far as I know, they're still building the overbridge to carry the new road over the M3 as the old road was merged into the M3 scheme. At the moment the M3 from Clonee to Dunboyne is technically not under motorway restrictions as the alternative route is blocked off.
    Also what about people who for example live in the likes of Dunshauglin and drive on a provisional license. How do they now travel into Dublin or to do shopping in the local Blanchardstown centre ? Is it just a case of tough luck and be made to go out of their way and use back roads ? Seems ridiculous and unfair on people who live out that way.

https://www.drivingtest.ie/applicantselfscheduling/applicants/applicanthome.aspx

• Registered Users Posts: 11,435 ✭✭✭✭redout

Stark wrote: »
    No they're not. A road must always have an alternative parallel route if it's to be designated motorway.

It's only blocked off for roadworks. As far as I know, they're still building the overbridge to carry the new road over the M3 as the old road was merged into the M3 scheme. At the moment the M3 from Clonee to Dunboyne is technically not under motorway restrictions as the alternative route is blocked off.

https://www.drivingtest.ie/applicantselfscheduling/applicants/applicanthome.aspx

Thats sound. So will the alternate route be to exit at Clonee and take the R147 and join back up with the N3 at the roundabout ? Good to know that its not under motorway restrictions as yet but they have all the bloody signs up and it warns that you will be entering the motorway in 1.2km just before the clonee exit. It is misleading for them to not have that sign covered up in fairness.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,894 ✭✭✭✭Stark

redout wrote:
    o will the alternate route be to exit at Clonee and take the R147 and join back up with the N3 at the roundabout ?

Yes, that's correct. The old N3 will be re-designated to "R147" along the whole of its bypassed length.

• Advertisement
Advertisement