Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Damn Toll charging me commercial prices

Options
  • 19-06-2006 6:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,214 ✭✭✭

Im driving a peugeut 306 carvan and they charge me commercial prices on the M4 toll. A cat is 2.50, and a commercial is 3.80, bastids.
    anywho, i think they're wrong!!!
    these carvans are imported and taxed as a car, where as commercials get imported and taxed in a different cattegory.

so my reasoning is, the damn government call it a car, why doesnt the toll?
    so am i right or wrong that i should be charged as a car???

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,559 ✭✭✭Tipsy Mac

It it's taxed as a car then you should be charged car rates, if it's commercial tax then commercially, next time you are there show them the tax disc.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,105 ✭✭✭hiscan

just go through the auto barrier and have correct change ready
    i have a landcruiser that fits under fcuk them they get enough

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

moved to Commuting/Transport.

Mike.

• Registered Users Posts: 764 ✭✭✭6ix

I just got a 306 van, and it's a toll that I'll be travelling through every few weeks... Are there automatic barriers on the M4 toll?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,214 ✭✭✭Redrocket

yeah, its just sometimes i get caught at the teller stations..
    i said it to her today, its taxed and insured as a car, not a commercial, different tax bracket, no go.... in all fairness, if she had any brains she would be in tescos

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

Get receipts and write and complain to the toll operator.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,733 ✭✭✭✭corktina

ah but it isnt an auto barrier is it? if you dont put the right money in, they dont open the barrier......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

He can get thru the auto barriers ok at car rates, it's the attended booths that are charging him commerical rates.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,795 ✭✭✭Seanie M

A mate of mine drives a standard Pajero, no back seats. He's charged commercial rates at the tolls too, just because it doesn't have back seats! Stoopid...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,167 ✭✭✭Archeron

I had a massive argument with one of the women who work on the toll bridge over this, as I drive a Pug 307 car/van thing. I told her I had no more money other than the car toll, and she said that in that case she couldnt let me through. I said okay and asked her to get all the cars behind me to move so I could reverse back out again. She very begrudgingly let me through :D

As other posters say, just go thorugh the auto barrier if you have to. Thats what I do now, although last time i done it, a person that looked like an official looked like he was about to say something to me, just before I sped off laughing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 78,245 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Archeron wrote:
    I had a massive argument with one of the women who work on the toll bridge over this, as I drive a Pug 307 car/van thing. I told her I had no more money other than the car toll, and she said that in that case she couldnt let me through. I said okay and asked her to get all the cars behind me to move so I could reverse back out again. She very begrudgingly let me through :D

As other posters say, just go thorugh the auto barrier if you have to. Thats what I do now, although last time i done it, a person that looked like an official looked like he was about to say something to me, just before I sped off laughing.
    Did you get a bill in the post?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,167 ✭✭✭Archeron

Victor wrote:
    Did you get a bill in the post?

No, I havent heard anything since. TBH, unlike the OP, mine is quite obviously a commercial with sign writing on the side and all. It was more a matter of principle because the particular woman I was speaking to was like one of those prissy horn rimmed glasses wearing school marms, and she looked like she was taking great personal pleasure in p***ing people off and charging them extra.

I contacted NTR to express my distaste at this sudden change in policy and the snottiness of some of the staff. (Note, SOME of the staff only, a lot of the people who work on the toll bridge are really cool, not to mention some sexy young lasses) Some dude mailed me back and apologized and said that they had to clamp down as the new M4 toll and the port tunnel would be very strict about commercial toll fees, and they all had to be singing from the same song book. He did say that he would look into the snotty woman if I gave him the lane number and time, but then he would have had my reg and sent me a bill, so I didnt bother. In fairness though, he did give me a fairly comprehensive answer as to the reason for the change of heart with this in recent months. While I dont like NTR because of what they do, I was impressed with their response.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,678 ✭✭✭jjbrien

Archeron wrote:
    No, I havent heard anything since. TBH, unlike the OP, mine is quite obviously a commercial with sign writing on the side and all. It was more a matter of principle because the particular woman I was speaking to was like one of those prissy horn rimmed glasses wearing school marms, and she looked like she was taking great personal pleasure in p***ing people off and charging them extra.

I contacted NTR to express my distaste at this sudden change in policy and the snottiness of some of the staff. (Note, SOME of the staff only, a lot of the people who work on the toll bridge are really cool, not to mention some sexy young lasses) Some dude mailed me back and apologized and said that they had to clamp down as the new M4 toll and the port tunnel would be very strict about commercial toll fees, and they all had to be singing from the same song book. He did say that he would look into the snotty woman if I gave him the lane number and time, but then he would have had my reg and sent me a bill, so I didnt bother. In fairness though, he did give me a fairly comprehensive answer as to the reason for the change of heart with this in recent months. While I dont like NTR because of what they do, I was impressed with their response.

The M4 road is not opperated by NTR so if you wrote to them you wrote to the wrong company.The M4 is run by Eurolink.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,588 ✭✭✭Bluetonic

jjbrien wrote:
    The M4 road is not opperated by NTR so if you wrote to them you wrote to the wrong company.The M4 is run by Eurolink.

I'd reread the post if I were you.

Advertisement