Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hibernate mode in Vista - good for laptop battery?

Options
  • 26-11-2007 2:12am
    Registered Users Posts: 10,267 ✭✭✭✭

So my question is simple, does putting a vista laptop into hibernate (as opposed to shutting down) use much battery? I find vista very slow to boot up, so i've started using hibernate, but is it bad for battery life?

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,046 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

It shouldn't use much battery and in some laptops I think you can change it in the bios to use no power what so ever. It isn't bad for the battery as such put it will increase the amount of charge cycles your battery goes through so the battery life degrade quicker. I'd say the best thing to do would be to find out why it's slow to boot up and fix that.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

Standby uses Battery and is fastest.
    Hibernate is slower the more memory you have as it copies memory to hard disk. No battery is used.

Some devices do not initialise or reset properly after one or other of these modes. You should shutdown completely between once a day to once a week to clear all memory leaks or if you have network or other erratic performance after Standby or Hibernate (these don't have same effect).

I only use hibernate automatically if I have left laptop on running battery only. I don't trust laptop to go from standby to Hibernate if battery goes low. Battery can be dead or even removed in Hibernate. Sometimes my battery comes loose in bag, so Standby would be a disaster for me.

Advertisement