Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sunbed Advice confused and scared male :p

Options
  • 02-03-2015 2:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 279 ✭✭

Hi All

Just a bit of backround, im a 28 yr old male. 6 months single after a 5 yr relationship. I have finally taken control of my life. Been going to the gym 5 days a week for the last 3 months and im toning up nicely.. getting the body I want.

I have never even considered using a sun bed before ( not because of the negative stuff in the media these days) obviously precautions need to be used!

I would always be the guy who never took his t-shirt off. This summer i want to show off my hard work!.. especially since i have a few sun holidays planned.
    So .. how long should i stay in a sunbed for my first cuple times? i would like a natural look, not too tanned. Im the typical 100% irish male.. pasty :)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,987 ✭✭✭Tilly

You need to talk to the people in the tanning salons as all machines vary.

• Registered Users Posts: 263 ✭✭Wobbly_Legs

As Tilly said tell the people at the tanning salon it is your first time and they will advise you.
    However personally I wouldn't stay under for more than 3 minutes for your first try.

• Registered Users Posts: 279 ✭✭blueb

3 minutes! really ok that's a lot shorter than i thought, would you see much of a tan after three or four 3 minute sessions?.. i realize that the professionals will have the info, i just wanted to get an idea before i go in there, thanks :)

You cant tell, you need to talk to the people in the salon. For example: If a machine has just got new bulbs then it will be a lot stronger than the same machine with bulbs in it the last 6 months so your tanning time will be shorter.

Just ask in the salon.

• Registered Users Posts: 263 ✭✭Wobbly_Legs

If your skin hasn't been exposed to sunlight for a while, as us pale Irish people generally aren't, then it is safer to start with short sessions rather to launch into a long session and get burnt.
    If you try and achieve your tan too fast by taking long sessions or going too many times a week your tan will fade quicker. aAs with any natural tan the longer it takes to build up a nice even base tan, the longer it will last for. Think of it as a gradual process; a lasting tan has to be built up.

Definitely after two or three sessions you could increase the length you stay under for, but just to be safe and in some way 'desensitise' your skin start off with a short one.

There are sun bed lotions which are usually available at the tanning salon, which will help to add colour to your tan which are activated by UV lights, these would also be a good option to maximise the depth of colour you achieve from a tanning session. But there are 2 things you need to be aware of:
    1, there are some creams that contain a tingle factor, these can be very intense and cause added heat and a prickly feeling all over (I wouldn't recommend thus type if you are at all sensitive)
    2, some contain fake tan. (these basically encourage your tan but also have a fake tan, be careful of these as some of them can be streaky).
    try to use a cream that is a natural enhancer.

Also make sure your skin is really well exfoliated and moisturised before your tanning session, this helps your skin to absorb the UV more easily and also gives a more balanced tan.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,180 ✭✭✭hfallada

Wear an SPF on your face, unless you want to look like a leather bag in a few years. UV light causes the skin to age really badly, so you shouldnt tan your face. A tinted moisturiser can give you a natural tan look without the long term damage to your skin.

But really you shouldnt start tanning until closer to the Summer. Otherwise everyone will know you have been using tanning beds

• Registered Users Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭charlietheminxx

Sorry I know you're looking for practical advice and all that, but I just have to say you should really think about whether or not it's worth the ill effects. I know a girl who has had to have irregular moles removed after doing sunbeds for a while, she's only 28. It's your skin and it's your decision, but I for one cannot understand why you would work so hard on your body and getting fit and healthy only to increase your risk of skin cancer so dramatically. Maybe I am biased because I am pale and skin cancer runs in my family, I just don't think it's worth the risk.

• Registered Users Posts: 437 ✭✭gerarda

Stay away from sun beds, you will regret it in later life.

• Site Banned Posts: 217 ✭✭Father Ted Crilly

Are you asking for Cancer? Seriously, don't get into that type of thing. It's for your own good.

Thank you for everyone who gave me practical advice.. its much appreciated.
    I know the dangers of sun beds, just like i know the danger of smoking or the danger of eating fatty foods,
    I find it funny how ppl have to point out the obvious negative effects of things, next time i see an over weight person eating chocolate maybe i should tell them that they should stay away from fatty foods as there asking for trouble.
    Each to their own.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,664 ✭✭✭MrWalsh

Im very pale and I tried sunbeds a number of years ago. I regret it now tbh because its just a damaging activity - these days if I go away to the sun I sit in the shade anyway!! When I tried them I started with times like 3 minutes and worked up to 10 minutes over 10 sessions. I burned slightly the very first time I did 3 minutes. So if you are very pale, start with a minute or two.

Would you not consider fake tan, spray tans are excellent these days or for a healthy glow, a tinted moisturiser like Dove can give you a natural look that you can build up over time.

I know you dont want to hear this but the Irish Cancer Society (www.cancer.ie) say:
    Using sunbeds is not a safe way to get a tan. It exposes your skin to large amounts of UV rays that age your skin and increase your risk of skin cancer.

Skin cancer is the fastest growing cancer in Ireland. 10,000 new cases were diagnosed in this country in 2011. Most cases are caused by UV rays from the sun or sunbeds. Each year more than 850 new cases of melanoma are reported and 150 Irish people die from skin cancer.

Well OP am sorry you feel that way but your analogy doesn't really work. It's more like someone asking how many cigarettes they should smoke to look cool.... Or at least it's how it looks to me.

fair enough charlie but my query is on how i should use sun beds... im not looking for a debate on how safe they are

Of course and I do understand that, sorry for the lecture. For what it's worth, I really do understand the wanting to show off part :) I struggled with my weight for years, so happy to be able to wear things like denim shorts in the summer now! When you've worked hard on your appearance, it's natural to want to look the best you can, especially after a break up.

blueb wrote: »
    fair enough charlie but my query is on how i should use sun beds... im not looking for a debate on how safe they are

The relevant answer to that is - dont use them at all :)

I think its likely they will be completely outlawed in the future, there really is no good reason for them to be in operation when there are perfectly safe alternatives in the world of fake tans.

MR Walsh i have heard your point.. but the info you are giving me is not what im asking for, I can decide what i do with my body. Thanks anyway

MR Walsh i have heard your point.. but the info you are giving me is not what im asking for, I can decide what i do with my body. Thanks anyway

Is there any particular reason you seem to have no interest in safe alternatives?

I know about the alternatives.

I know about the alternatives.

Yes, Im not suggesting you dont. I am asking why you are not interested in the alternatives?

I wanted info on how to use sunbeds.. i know how to use fake tan therefore i do not need information on it. I hope this is clear enough for you, thanks

• Advertisement

MrWalsh wrote: »
    Yes, Im not suggesting you dont. I am asking why you are not interested in the alternatives?
    You are really unhelpful.

Tilly wrote: »
    You are really unhelpful.

If you actually read the thread you will see that I actually posted my experiences of using sunbeds, including how many minutes I used and how many I used to work up to longer times etc.

But this is a discussion forum so I am asking the OP why he isnt into the alternatives. He said in regards to sunbeds that he was surprised how little minutes people were suggesting - so perhaps he is unaware of how easy the alternatives are also? He also mentions in the title that he is scared regarding sunbeds so I am willing to suggest alternatives that dont carry any scare factor. The OP is probably also unaware that your skin stinks after a sunbed, its not a pleasant smell and its what actually put me off more than anything else, because it smells like damage.

And in the future, if you have a problem with a post of mine - you know where the report button is Tilly. You might keep in mind that I am posting here in my own free time, with information based on experience and that while you may find my posts unhelpful, others may not.

very unhelpful

MrWalsh wrote: »
    If you actually read the thread you will see that I actually posted my experiences of using sunbeds, including how many minutes I used and how many I used to work up to longer times etc.

But this is a discussion forum so I am asking the OP why he isnt into the alternatives. He said in regards to sunbeds that he was surprised how little minutes people were suggesting - so perhaps he is unaware of how easy the alternatives are also? He also mentions in the title that he is scared regarding sunbeds so I am willing to suggest alternatives that dont carry any scare factor. The OP is probably also unaware that your skin stinks after a sunbed, its not a pleasant smell and its what actually put me off more than anything else, because it smells like damage.

And in the future, if you have a problem with a post of mine - you know where the report button is Tilly. You might keep in mind that I am posting here in my own free time, with information based on experience and that while you may find my posts unhelpful, others may not.
    This isnt a thread about the dangers of sunbeds! You may need to go back to school to learn to read again if that what you thought it was :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,390 ✭✭✭Stench Blossoms

I think the OP understands the dangers of them.

As Elsa said.....Let it go :)

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,716 Mod ✭✭✭✭Twee.

Please keep on topic, the OP has not asked for opinions of whether they should use tanning beds. I respect this is a controversial issue but let's move on in the thread now

Advertisement