Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Something to protect skin from Chlorine?

• 19-08-2011 2:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 41

Hi.

I joined a gym a few weeks ago and the Chlorine in the pool there has made my skin break out.

I have spots on my face from it and the skin on my arms and legs feels really dried out after I swim.

Does anyone have any suggestions as to how I can protect my skin?

I've heard applying sunscreen to skin can act as a barrier, but I find that most of that washes off too easily in water, so it doesn't work too well.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭MangoLime

I use vaseline. It works really well as it literally provides a barrier between your skin and the water. Oh and it's cheap too :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,288 ✭✭✭pow wow

Baby oil works too :)

• Registered Users Posts: 41 dandelionmind

Thanks.

I don't know if I'd be comfortable applying either of those to my face, but should be fine for the rest of me :)

I got a product called EPI-Shield from the chemist the other day, so I'll try that out too!

• Registered Users Posts: 41 dandelionmind

Just a follow up on this, in case anyone else was interested.

I bought some Baby Oil to try out and had a massive allergic reaction to it. Covered in a rash :o

So, if you're interested in a cream / lotion for your skin and have hyper sensitive skin, avoid using that at all costs.

EPI-Shield works fine for me, with no reactions, so I'm on the hunt for a post-swim intensive moisturiser now.

• Registered Users Posts: 22 volku

switch for ozonated water swimming pools so named Thallassio
    around 4 ONLY in ROI !!!!
    2 in Radisson Hotels
    swim in lakes, sea...

wash with mineral or rainwater until the spots disappear
    drink and cook on mineral water as well
    try high concatrated aloe vera cream ( you can plant it home as well and put on the leaves' juice)or seaweeds baths (ask for water!)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,589 ✭✭✭shakencat

baby oil creates a seal so your body can't breath i think?

get non perfumed creams and make sure you wash the chlorine from your skin fully after each swim.

the chlorine itself shouldn't harm you at all.. its the other acidic salts that are combined with to allow the water to stay clean.
    Ask if the chemicals are particularly high when you get a reaction as there is a legal limit on levels in swimming pools.

Ive swam and still do all my life and i randomly break out too... generally hen I'm run down and it attacks me :P

But i use non perfumed creams and it brings me back pretty fast (I use simple range as I've not found anything else unperfumed... )

Advertisement