Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why can't I use a scissors with my left hand?

Options
  • 28-05-2013 9:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 20,410 ✭✭✭✭

Tried it the other day and I could open and close it but it just doesn't cut.Any wise ladies and gents of AH got an explanation for this?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,430 ✭✭✭✭El Guapo!

You're right handed.

• Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭plannerscanner

No OP is right - when I go to cut the nails on my right hand they end up totally banjaxed and uneven. It's hardly because one hand is slightly more dexterous than the other?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,167 ✭✭✭Fr_Dougal

Sounds as if you have TB.

Sorry for your trouble.

• Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭Meteoric

Try holding it upside down. In some places I worked we had a couple of left handed scissors, didn't work unless you held them in your left hand or upside down in the right hand

From here http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scissors "Most scissors are best-suited for use with the right hand, but left-handed scissors are designed for use with the left hand. Because scissors have overlapping blades, they are not symmetric. This asymmetry is true regardless of the orientation and shape of the handles: the blade that is on top always forms the same diagonal regardless of orientation. Human hands are also asymmetric, and when closing, the thumb and fingers do not close vertically, but have a lateral component to the motion. Specifically, the thumb pushes out from the palm and the fingers pull inwards. For right-handed scissors held in the right hand, the thumb blade is closer to the user's body, so that the natural tendency of the right hand is to force the cutting blades together. Conversely, if right-handed scissors are held in the left hand, the natural tendency of the left hand would be to force the cutting blades laterally apart. Furthermore, with right-handed scissors held by the right-hand, the shearing edge is visible, but when used with the left hand, the cutting edge of the scissors is behind the top blade, and one cannot see what is being cut."

Apologies for non AH reply

• Registered Users Posts: 7,500 ✭✭✭BrokenArrows

It's the angle of the blades don't work correctly when in the wrong hand. Same would happen if you used a left hand one in the right hand.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭plannerscanner

It's the angle of the blades don't work correctly when in the wrong hand. Same would happen if you used a left hand one in the right hand.

So I really need to pairs of nail scissors. One for my feet and left hand and one for my right hand!!!!1

• Closed Accounts Posts: 252 ✭✭Gin77

Boring answer is when you use ur righthand your not just making the scissors open and close. Your squeezing the blades against each-other this reduces the clearance between the blades and makes a good cutting action.
    You might find when using your left hand the cut is poor or the material is slipping the blades thats cos the your lefthand muscles are not as developed as your righthand.
    But you can learn, try squeezing the blades against each other when cutting lefthanded.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,304 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Prodston

Somebody clearly didn't learn the backstory of why some of the scissors in primary school had two different colours :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 666 ✭✭✭A0

Stop using scissors - Sorted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,648 ✭✭✭Cody Pomeray

Somebody clearly didn't learn the backstory of why some of the scissors in primary school had two different colours :pac:
    Two scissors? Clearly someone went to a fancy primary school......

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,299 ✭✭✭✭The Backwards Man

I feel your pain OP. I'm right handed and left footed. Turf spades are designed for righties or lefties so I can't use either unless I use my wrong hand or my wrong foot.

But nobody cuts turf with a spade any more so it's all good.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,500 ✭✭✭BrokenArrows

So I really need to pairs of nail scissors. One for my feet and left hand and one for my right hand!!!!1

Yup or just use clippers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,390 ✭✭✭IM0

same reason most people cant write with both hands, our body hasnt developed it

• Site Banned Posts: 124 ✭✭The Queen of England

Use an axe instead.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,390 ✭✭✭IM0

Gin77 wrote: »
    Boring answer is when you use ur righthand your not just making the scissors open and close. Your squeezing the blades against each-other this reduces the clearance between the blades and makes a good cutting action.
    You might find when using your left hand the cut is poor or the material is slipping the blades thats cos the your lefthand muscles are not as developed as your righthand.
    But you can learn, try squeezing the blades against each other when cutting lefthanded.

and THAT ladies and gents is why you cut like ****e even when you use your 'good' hand to do it.

gliding through wrapping paper ftw! :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,733 ✭✭✭Duckworth_Luas

Advertisement