Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How to say 'God bless you' in Irish

Options
  • 27-09-2014 4:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 45

Hi,

Would 'God bless you' be written go mbeannaí Dia 'duit' or 'dhuit'?

Comments

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,859 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

Go mbeannaí Dia tú (usually pronounced "thú")

• Registered Users Posts: 45 Ealasaid

Thanks. So what does 'duit' mean?

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,859 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

I found an interesting discussion about this on the old Daltaí archives.

http://www.daltai.com/discus/messages/13510/13908.html?1119490984

"Dia duit" is used for hello, but usually means "God be with you".

The verb "beannaigh" means to bless. If you want to bless someone in particular, you use the personal preposition (mé, tú, sé/sí, sinn/muid, sibh, siad) for that person. Some verbs take other prepositions (le, do, ar, 7rl) but this one does not.

Duit is the prepositional pronoun "do" in the second person singular ("you" in English), or "do" + "tú". The full list is dom, duit, dó, di, dúinn, daoibh, dóibh.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,698 ✭✭✭Gumbi

An File wrote: »
    Go mbeannaí Dia tú (usually pronounced "thú")

And written as "thú" too. Just "tú" is acceptable in the standard now. I would never write it though, as I would never say "tú" in this phrase, thus I don't see the point in conforming to the standard here!

Nobody likes the standard! :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,698 ✭✭✭Gumbi

An File wrote: »
    Nobody likes the standard! :D

Haha, I'm not one of those vehemently anti standard ones but in some situations I definitely prefer the dialectal variants. I haven't ever hear someone say "tú" in go mbeannaí Dia thú" or similar phrase and so it bothers me to see it in print!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 534 ✭✭✭eezipc

I grew up in the Gaeltacht (Mayo) and we always say Go mbeannaí Dia dhuit.
    I never heard anyone say Go mbeannaí Dia thu.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,089 ✭✭✭✭P. Breathnach

I'd say Bail ó Dhia ort or Beannacht Dé ort - the former more as a greeting or conversation opener, the latter more generally.

• Registered Users Posts: 18 Snag Darach

And as a wee aside, if you are using "God bless you" as a reaction to a sneeze, it'd be Dia linn.

Hi, OP here

So 'Go mbeannaí Dia duit.' is God's blessing be with you rather than God bless you?

I was asking would it be 'duit' or 'dhuit' as I live an area of Scotland where Gaelic (Gaidhlig) is widely spoken and here it would be 'Beannachd Dia dhuit' - Blessings of God be with you, so the Irish is similar.

If you sneeze here it's Dia leat or Dia leibh!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 941 ✭✭✭An gal gréine

Ealasaid wrote: »
    Hi, OP here

So 'Go mbeannaí Dia duit.' is God's blessing be with you rather than God bless you?

I was asking would it be 'duit' or 'dhuit' as I live an area of Scotland where Gaelic (Gaidhlig) is widely spoken and here it would be 'Beannachd Dia dhuit' - Blessings of God be with you, so the Irish is similar.

If you sneeze here it's Dia leat or Dia leibh!

In Donegal it would be the same as Scotland for the sneeze.
    Dia leat is said to the person who has sneezed and he/she replies with Dia linn. In the rest of Ireland, as far as I hear, it is reversed.

Like the tú/thú mentioned previously, Dia dhuit is what I hear spoken, and the standard has it as Dia duit.

Here 'you' is thu (no fada) - pronounced 'hoo' or if plural or polite version it's 'sibh' pronounced 'sheev'.

It would be interesting to know how different or how similar Irish is to Scottish Gaelic.

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭Rhedyn

And as a wee aside, if you are using "God bless you" as a reaction to a sneeze, it'd be Dia linn.

Dia linn(g) - in Connemara too. Or Dia linn is Muire (in particular for the second sneeze)

For a cough people say - deiseal . Or even for a bout of sneezing, or choking.

• Registered Users Posts: 216 ✭✭AnLonDubh

I always say:

Beannachtaí na bhFlaitheas a Ghaela, cuireann sé áthas orm me a bheith anso libhse, i dtír ghaelach i measc na nGael. Is dócha ná raibh aon dream chomh gaelach ann ó bhí Éirinn fé smacht na rite* gaelacha ina dtithe gaelacha.

*rite, leagan de 'ríthe' 'sea é (an leagan is gaelaí)

Advertisement