Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RTE presenters

Options
  • 04-06-2009 4:53pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 158 ✭✭

Just after reading the thread on RTE going under etc if staff reject pay deal etc etc.....and it, (as well as many others!) constantly involve people railing against the quality of our presenters (Kenny, Tubridy, Ryan & co). Now whilst 90% of the time I tend to agree, I do think that Tubridy probably the only one I really think is utterly talentless. (I mean that sincerely) Many of the others have their good and bad points (e.g. Kenny I think is boring and can't handle anything that's humourous or "frivolous" but he is very competent when it comes to current affairs/politics or more serious topics.....)

Anyway I regress........let's just say we all wake up tomorrow... RTE is disbanded and all staff are let go, without exception. All programmes are left in place (and have to remain so). you are appointed onto a board to fill the vacancies....... who would they be???

(Can rehire staff there already, even to their current jobs)

Let's include the Saturday nights "Tubridy Tonight" format.... or even any old programmes that are no longer....e.g. Scrap Saturday!!! :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,258 ✭✭✭✭Rabies

/changes channel

Moved

• Registered Users Posts: 14,182 ✭✭✭✭Pighead

Anyway I regress........let's just say we all wake up tomorrow... RTE is disbanded and all staff are let go, without exception. All programmes are left in place (and have to remain so). you are appointed onto a board to fill the vacancies....... who would they be???
    What a strange time to regress! Pighead regressed once as well at an unfortunate moment in proceedings.

It was back in 97 and he had his hand up the top of a nubile young lady from Galway. "I think it's time for bed Pighead" she said with a sultry smile.

"Waaaaaaahhhhhh, Pighead doesn't want to go to bed, it's only eleven o'clock. It's not fair, my friend Tommy gets to stay up til 12 on the weekends"

Never seen her again after that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 158 ✭✭annabellee77

Pighead wrote: »
    What a strange time to regress! Pighead regressed once as well at an unfortunate moment in proceedings.

It was back in 97 and he had his hand up the top of a nubile young lady from Galway. "I think it's time for bed Pighead" she said with a sultry smile.

"Waaaaaaahhhhhh, Pighead doesn't want to go to bed, it's only eleven o'clock. It's not fair, my friend Tommy gets to stay up til 12 on the weekends"

Never seen her again after that.

:D:D:D:D:D:D

Meant DIGRESS of course.......:o

• Registered Users Posts: 1,046 ✭✭✭enniscorthy

seoige sister simply wonderful defo top totty :p:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

If the whole lot got cleared out you'd end up with something worse then we have, a bunch of shiny callow media studies types/even shinier 'models'/and moonlighting newspaper hacks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,732 ✭✭✭Klingon Hamlet

Graham Norton would do wonders on RTE, but then he left for better things in the UK just like Wogan: better pay, prospects, support, and budget. RTE couldn't hire a bunch of talented young people if they were shuffled in fresh by geneticists.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,829 ✭✭✭KerranJast

I'd rehire News and Sport as those are the real gems of RTE.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 667 ✭✭✭Linku

I've thought way too much about this. Not so much who I'd keep, but how I'd change the whole network around! Get rid of nearly everyone except news, current affairs and sport. Cancel any RTÉ reality shows, and review drama shows.

Shelve plans for RTÉ News Now on digital and RTÉ One +1, but keep RTÉ HD as a "best of" channel like BBC HD, and RTÉ Three.

RTÉ One - News & Current affairs only.
    Keep the entire news team. Rolling news & Oireachtas during the day, with a presenter in studio for links. More news updates (the newsreaders are there all day anyway), usual evening programming; Six One, Nine News, Q&A (should be kept with a new presenter), Primetime etc., A nightly discussion show à la Vincent Browne. Keep shows like Capital D and Nationwide too. Late Late on Friday.

Not a huge change, but moving any homemade drama, imports and soaps, and eliminating the need for a digital News channel.

RTÉ Two - Home programming & Sport

Childrens programming in morning/early afternoon
    Soaps in afternoon / early evening (H&A, Neighbours, The Bill, Eastenders)
    Primetime - Homemade shows/docs or sports, some BBC/C4 shows brought in.

RTÉ Three (Digital) - Imported programming, archive programmes and repeats

Archive programmes during the day, like documentaries, repeats of old shows that people actually might want to see, and the repeats of the soaps and RTÉ One shows.
    Imported (USA) shows during primetime, scheduled properly, on the hour unlike RTÉ2 currently. Lots of these shows are shown after midnight currently, and can't find an audience.
    One or two US late night talkshows from midnight ono, can be bought cheap.

Advertisement