Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Rangers FC lodge papers to go into administration

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,165 ✭✭✭Savage Tyrant

RoryMac wrote: »
    It seems everyone is waiting for the findings of the BTC and until then we'll have to live off the scraps of the story

Is there any indication at all of when that would be?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,406 ✭✭✭Pompey Magnus

Surely the BTC hinges on the existence of these side letters though?

The judges in the BTC won't need any smoking gun in order to find Rangers guilty as it is a civil case and not criminal, all the judges have to do is to decide it is more likely than not that Rangers were involved in something dodgy.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,320 ✭✭✭RoryMac

Is there any indication at all of when that would be?

Was due in March so no idea what the hold up is, as far as I know it was an independent board hearing the appeal so don't think it could be delayed due to the current ownership issue but it seems strange that it has been delayed so long.

Maybe Rangers will win it!! :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,213 ✭✭✭bobbysands81

A query regarding the EBTs.

If they really were discretionary loans paid to staff then why (when the club is about to go down the pan) have none of the 111 people (who include such proud Rangers men as John Greig, Souness, Barry Ferguson, Nacho Novo) offered to pay these 'loans' back?

Seriously, is no pressure being put on these ex-players to repay these loans given that the club hasn't a penny to rub together???

If not, why not?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,839 ✭✭✭Jelle1880

Don't know, but what good would that do ?

Jelle1880 wrote: »

What good would the repayment of £47 odd million in "loans" be to a club so heavily in debt? :confused:

I meant in the bigger scheme, it's not like this will make the big tax case go away, will it ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭ColeTrain

When is the big case coming exactly? We've been waiting a while now :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,623 ✭✭✭lubo_moravcik

Did you buy a black and red scarf? A rosette?? Donate to The Fighting Fund???

_________

“The view that the SPL took was that there was sufficient evidence to indicate that the way that Rangers had been paying their players was via a dual method, the payroll and EBTs, so there was a case to answer for,” says David Roberts, of the legal firm, Olswang, that represented Bill Miller during his bid for the Ibrox side and held discussions with the SPL. “What Duff & Phelps said to us was that there may be some reticence pushing the investigation forward because a beneficiary of the EBT payments [Campbell Ogilvie] was now on the SFA board, but we saw no evidence of that. My genuine belief was that this was an issue that gave rise to a potential breach of the rules and the SPL were discharging their governing body duties by looking at it. It may also breach the SFA rules as well. It was something being taken very seriously by the authorities.”

http://www.heraldscotland.com/mobile...de28763ff332d8

_________

“The view that the SPL took was that there was sufficient evidence to indicate that the way that Rangers had been paying their players was via a dual method, the payroll and EBTs, so there was a case to answer for,” says David Roberts, of the legal firm, Olswang, that represented Bill Miller during his bid for the Ibrox side and held discussions with the SPL. “What Duff & Phelps said to us was that there may be some reticence pushing the investigation forward because a beneficiary of the EBT payments [Campbell Ogilvie] was now on the SFA board, but we saw no evidence of that. My genuine belief was that this was an issue that gave rise to a potential breach of the rules and the SPL were discharging their governing body duties by looking at it. It may also breach the SFA rules as well. It was something being taken very seriously by the authorities.”

I did donate to RFFF, and... ?

Link doesn't work btw.

• Advertisement

_________

Link doesn't work btw.
    If you're asking "what good would it do?" in relation to players being chased up for monies borrowed, if that's the case what good would the rfff do as it is (currently £500,000+) small change in comparison.

http://www.heraldscotland.com/mobile/sport/football/caught-on-camera-contract-issues-at-heart-of-tax-case.17694754?_=619b7f2c7440776e5362a04735de28763ff332d8

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,553 ✭✭✭✭Dempsey

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-glasgow-west-18211947
    Rangers have asked the Court of Session to overturn a year-long transfer ban imposed on the club by the Scottish Football Association.

Surely after all Sion went through, every QC in the land knows that CAS is your next stop not the Court of Session. Even if you win, any player registration over the age of 18 will still be considered invalid by the SFA because they will only adhere to a ruling made by CAS

EDIT

http://www1.skysports.com/football/news/11095/7778032/HMRC-fail-in-rule-challenge

Her Majesty's Revenue and Customs' attempt to have the Football Creditors' rule declared unlawful has been dismissed by the High Court.

Could HMRC be stalling on the BTC because of what they are trying to do down in Engerland? They can appeal this decision

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,014 ✭✭✭Eirebear

Dempsey wrote: »
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-glasgow-west-18211947
    Rangers have asked the Court of Session to overturn a year-long transfer ban imposed on the club by the Scottish Football Association.

Surely after all Sion went through, every QC in the land knows that CAS is your next stop not the Court of Session. Even if you win, any player registration over the age of 18 will still be considered invalid by the SFA because they will only adhere to a ruling made by CAS

EDIT

http://www1.skysports.com/football/news/11095/7778032/HMRC-fail-in-rule-challenge

Her Majesty's Revenue and Customs' attempt to have the Football Creditors' rule declared unlawful has been dismissed by the High Court.

Could HMRC be stalling on the BTC because of what they are trying to do down in Engerland? They can appeal this decision
    It certainly seems a strange move given the clubs already precarious position. The last thing we need is further punishments coming from irrational etc.

As for hmrc, I'm not sure how it links, but given that our case is widely thought of as
    a test case before they take on the epl I wouldn't be surprised if there is a link.

Apparently the IPA will start an investigation into Duff and Phelps.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,521 ✭✭✭bobmalooka

Apparently the IPA will start an investigation into Duff and Phelps.

should have happened months ago, they are not acting in your interests.

Love when i googled it first hit was a ranersmedia thread blaming celtic,the bbc and that the head of the IPA has an irish sounding name :D never mind the actual evidence

Erm, of course they're not acting in our interests, that's the whole idea behind administrators: They work for the creditors.

Erm, of course they're not acting in our interests, that's the whole idea behind administrators: They work for the creditors.

your right very very badly worded. what i meant is that if they acted quickly and correctly in the manner an administrator should then ye would be closer to a resolution and the road to recovery would be set in place.

as it stands their 'irregular' approach to administration seems to have caused ye plenty of harm

I don't think so, it's been clear that they had valid reasons to keep rejecting TBK's bid, since it was never close to what was needed.

I also think they managed to get a CVA made in a decent time-frame (if it's accepted, that is).

It's their links with Whyte which concern me most.

All in all an investigation into them is a good thing, you have to question the timing again though.

I don't think so, it's been clear that they had valid reasons to keep rejecting TBK's bid, since it was never close to what was needed.

I also think they managed to get a CVA made in a decent time-frame (if it's accepted, that is).

It's their links with Whyte which concern me most.

All in all an investigation into them is a good thing, you have to question the timing again though.

The timing wont affect anything, the proposed CVA will be rejected as liquidating the club is almost certain to be a better deal for the creditors. (according to D&P's valuations)

your right to be worried about their links with whyte cos he is well positioned to claim the spoils in the event of liquidation.

The idea that the BBC are trying to sink ye is laughable, they have consistently been shining the torch on the people who are going to bury Rangers.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Leiva

Poor oul Darlington FC today have to start over again four leagues down :eek:

They missed alot of deadlines and didnt see alot of things coming despite being in regular meetings with the SPL & SFA. They gave bidders skewed information and they arent giving the SFA & SPL the documentation they are demanding. I think their previous work for Whyte compromises their objectivity and at least bends the regulations in place to the limits. The timing of everything that D&P have done is suspect to me and has been for a long time. They are either incompetent when it comes to a football club in administration or something more sinister is going on.

On the one hand you don't think that the folks paid £49m in EBTs by RFC returning that money would do any good but spending a few quid on a rosette does???

Dempsey wrote: »
    They missed alot of deadlines and didnt see alot of things coming despite being in regular meetings with the SPL & SFA. They gave bidders skewed information and they arent giving the SFA & SPL the documentation they are demanding. I think their previous work for Whyte compromises their objectivity and at least bends the regulations in place to the limits. The timing of everything that D&P have done is suspect to me and has been for a long time. They are either incompetent when it comes to a football club in administration or something more sinister is going on.

It's clear the SFA didn't want RFC to (or D&P) to provide them all the details on the EBT. That might have changed since the BBC doc the other night but if they had really wanted the know they would have demanded and received it. The SFA want others to make the big decisions that they're afraid of making.

On the one hand you don't think that the folks paid £49m in EBTs by RFC returning that money would do any good but spending a few quid on a rosette does???

Not at this point in time I don't.

Plus the fact we don't even know who actually really benefited from the EBT's, half of that list can't be proven apparently.

Do you seriously think 47m will do any good if we're possibly hit with a 137m bill ?

Could be the difference of you being able to exit Admin through a CVA.

Do you think your donation to the RFFF will have made the slightest difference?

• Advertisement

Not at this point in time I don't.

Plus the fact we don't even know who actually really benefited from the EBT's, half of that list can't be proven apparently.

Too late with the editing again!

Could be the difference of you being able to exit Admin through a CVA.

Do you think your donation to the RFFF will have made the slightest difference?

Do you ever not pose idiotic questions ?

Why does it care if I think a donation makes a difference ?
    I donated because I felt it was the right thing to do.

If you think a donation makes no difference then you can tell Keith he can keep his money ;)

It's clear the SFA didn't want RFC to (or D&P) to provide them all the details on the EBT. That might have changed since the BBC doc the other night but if they had really wanted the know they would have demanded and received it. The SFA want others to make the big decisions that they're afraid of making.

They have only set a deadline for all the information this week. Obviously they arent getting the information that the media are demonstrating. I can see the current SPL dual contracts investigation turning into a tribunal because of Rangers/D&P lack of co-operation.

You're the one that said there was no point going after players to return the £49m that they got in "loans" as it wouldn't make any difference to the amount that Rangers might owe... yet you thought the few £ that you threw into a bucket would make a difference?!

That's a complete contradiction.

I never said I thought it would make a difference, not with the amounts the club is being confronted with.

Doesn't mean I shouldn't do it though.

• Advertisement

I never said I thought it would make a difference, not with the amounts the club is being confronted with.

Doesn't mean I shouldn't do it though.

So you think it's pointless giving the money but you did so anyway?

I felt it was the right thing to do, that money has in the meantime been used to pay some small creditors, the QC for the case against the SFA,...

So no, it won't help with the bigger picture but at least it gives fans the idea they're helping out.

I don't even know why I'm trying to justify this ?

Why does it care if I think a donation makes a difference ?
    I donated because I felt it was the right thing to do.

I was wondering why you never answered when I asked :rolleyes:

Anyway, what do we have here????????

http://m.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-glasgow-west-18212287?post_id=100000363923780_225541584230374#_=_

_60497440_bettsemail976by420.jpg

_60495591__60437155_rangersemail3.jpg

_60495591__60437155_rangersemail3.jpg

D&P are a highly reputable company with their hand in a wide range of industries. Expect them to defend their name to the hilt. Them like Whyte have underestimated the public scrutiny that comes with being involved with a football club like Rangers

lubo: Probably because I don't respond to questions that I've either already answered or that serve no purpose.

What good the RFFF serves ? Look up why it's there in the first place and you'll get your answer.

was a simple question. you said there's no point in chasing people up for money that was borrowed, which in total adds upto a hefty amount, but it's ok to donate your own hard earned money in the hope that will do something.

I couldn't care less anyway, was just curious at the mindset I suppose.

Would calling in the loans, eg the Souness 30k which you yourself agree is 'weird' not help too?

I felt it was the right thing to do, that money has in the meantime been used to pay some small creditors, the QC for the case against the SFA,...

So no, it won't help with the bigger picture but at least it gives fans the idea they're helping out.

I don't even know why I'm trying to justify this ?

1. Some poor Rangers fans (who didn't get tax free interest free loans from the club) throw a few £ into bucket is worthwhile.

2. Some millionaire Rangers fans (who did get tax free interest free loans from the club) should not be chased to pay back these loans as it's not worthwhile???

I find that astonishing.

CHARLES GREEN claims he has struck a deal with the taxman to take over at Rangers – and in a separate move says he will meet Celtic chief Peter Lawwell on Monday.
    Preferred bidder Green says he has reached informal agreement with HMRC over the partial repayment of Rangers’ debts through a Conditional Voluntary Agreement (CVA).
    And in what will be seen as a highly significant move, he says he will meet Lawwell ahead of a summit of SPL clubs.
    The SPL meeting on Wednesday will discuss what sanctions will be imposed on Rangers if Green fails to get his CVA agreed and the club have to be re-constituted into a new company.
    Former Sheffield United chief executive Green said of the planned CVA: “HMRC have given us the nod but we need it in writing.”
    Letters to the club’s creditors seeking agreement to the CVA – which will see £8.5million distributed to Rangers’ creditors – are due to go out on Monday.
    Green said: “We are in the very final stages of completing the CVA and that’s expected very, very shortly.”
    Green is the first of Rangers’ would-be buyers to seek a meeting with the other side of the Old Firm.
    Lawwell is under pressure from some sections of the Celtic supporters to press for heavy sanctions against Rangers if the Ibrox club go down the newco route.
    But Green is likely to appeal to Lawwell to do the opposite should the CVA fail to come about.
    Meanwhile, Green launched an attack on both Craig Whyte and former owner David Murray’s stewardship of the club.
    He said: “The problem with the club historically is there has been no corporate governance.
    “There was no accountability, no corporate balance.”
    He said he will appoint independent directors to the Rangers board, including wealthy fund manager Stephen Adams, a Gers season ticket holder.
    Green said: “What we need to do is get people who haven’t got shares on the board so they are not influenced by the share holding.
    “When they make a decision then it’s made on the basis of what is proper and what is right, not what is in David Murray’s interest or that of David Murray holdings or in the interest of Craig Whyte.”
    Watchdogs probe Duff & Phelps
    WATCHDOGS last night launched a probe into Rangers’ administrators Duff & Phelps.
    The Insolvency Practitioners Association are looking into claims of a conflict of interest made in a BBC documentary.
    The programme suggested Duff & Phelps partner David Grier knew Craig Whyte paid for the club by mortgaging future season tickets to Ticketus.
    Duff & Phelps deny that are now taking legal action against the BBC.
    An IPA spokesman said he could not comment on an ongoing investigation. But a source said: “The IPA are making itself aware of all the circumstances. The allegations made in the BBC documentary are very serious and questions need to be answered.”
    Joint administrator Paul Clark said: “We positively welcome any investigation by the IPA. This will enable the true facts to emerge.”

http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/2012/05/26/rangers-in-crisis-preferred-bidder-charles-green-says-he-s-done-a-deal-with-taxman-86908-23873933/

“The problem with the club historically is there has been no corporate governance.
    “There was no accountability, no corporate balance.”

Reflects very badly on every director on the Rangers board for the last 2 decades.

Also, how Campbell Ogilvie is still in his job whilst the dual contract investigation and chatter about conflicts of interests is going on is absolutely mind boggling.

1. Some poor Rangers fans (who didn't get tax free interest free loans from the club) throw a few £ into bucket is worthwhile.

2. Some millionaire Rangers fans (who did get tax free interest free loans from the club) should not be chased to pay back these loans as it's not worthwhile???

I find that astonishing.

I genuinely don't 'get' this either Bobby and am starting to think is it me who's looking at it wrong.

• Advertisement

I genuinely don't 'get' this either Bobby and am starting to think is it me who's looking at it wrong.

Basically Jelle thinks that him throwing £5 to Rangers is worthwhile but Novo returning the £1.2m in a loan he has from Rangers isn't.

There's just no logic there.

The agreement with the Green consortium is that they'll distribute 8.5 million to the credititors then the rest paid penny in the pound via CVA.
    Yet Jelle doesn't see why the return of even a percentage of the 49 odd million EBT Tax free loans would be more benificial than his change from the burger stand outside the ground? :confused:

Probably because nobody knows who they should pay back money that they supposedly received.

Do tell: Who do they pay the loans back to ?

Murray ?
    Rangers, being the administrators ?
    Green ?

If you have guys like Barry Ferguson, who apparently earned millions in EBT's refusing to donate anything to the RFFF, why would they give back that money ?
    Force their hand ? How ?

Don't get me wrong, it would be a good move for some of those involved to say 'Ok, here's the money back', but I highly doubt it would happen.

And the reason I said that it won't do much good is because I don't think you can just throw that money into a pot and use it to either add to a CVA or pay off debts.

Correct me if I'm wrong though.

Taken from HB so not sure of source.

"SUNDAY 27 MAY 2012
    I refuse to believe major players evaded paying millions in tax

I want to address the revelation in Wednesday night's BBC Panorama programme that I was one of the people to receive money at Rangers through an employee benefit trust (EBT).

I feel that I have to defend myself and fight my corner because I have not done anything wrong. I have paid every bit of tax throughout my professional career, at every club, including Rangers.

The full story is that David Murray came to me and asked if I would receive a payment that was due to me, after tax, through the EBT trust. And I said that I would. It was money that was owing to me when I had six months left on my contract and I moved to Dundee United. After the tax was deducted, that money was put in the trust fund.

This was a single payment made when I was leaving the club. I did not receive any payments through the trust fund at any other point of my Rangers career. I don't know what other EBTs there were while I was at the club, and we never discussed them as players, although I refuse to believe that major players evaded millions of pounds in tax.

There was certainly no benefit to me from being paid this money through the trust fund. It was simply what I was due, the tax was deducted, and the club simply asked that they pay it to me through the fund. I had no issue with that and, of course, EBTs were legal at the time. It was Rangers who asked me to use the fund.

As a player, you're aware of all sorts of different schemes for putting your money into.

It's not that players are dodging tax, it's just that there are different avenues open to them to pay lower tax rates. There are schemes such as film partnerships that you could pay money into as an individual and so not pay higher tax rates. Image rights seem to be a more recent one that is popular in England.

There is nothing illegal in it, and the EBTs were the same. I want to stress that mine was simply a one-off payment, after tax, when I left the club, not some sort of remuneration scheme.

I never heard anything about side letters when I was at the club, not one person ever mentioned anything like that.

I've been in Spain golfing, so I've not yet seen the BBC programme, but I was shocked to hear that 87 players and staff were involved in the EBT scheme at Ibrox – but it should also be remembered that the trusts were not illegal.

People do have to understand that this wasn't players or staff trying to do something that would harm Rangers. And I do feel that it wasn't telling the full truth for the programme to bracket all the players and staff together if the EBTs were different for each of them.

All I can say is that in no way did I avoid paying tax, in no way was I paid wages or anything through an EBT over the course of my contract, and in no way was I aware of any side letters.

It amazes me that John Yorkston has the gall to talk about Rangers not paying their bills. He's a hypocrite, and he should start making sure that his club pay their bills instead. Jim McIntyre served a writ on Dunfermline on Thursday because he has still yet to receive his settlement after being sacked by the club last season.

The issue is with the court now, because Dunfermline said they cannot pay it in one instalment. Yet John Yorkston is in the press all the time talking about other clubs. He should be looking after the financial affairs of his own club."

Looks like Billy Dodds in trying to exonerate himself has throw Rangers to the dogs!

He admits the payments through the EBT was contractual, never told it was loan and was told tax was deducted at source!

Game over (yet again).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,280 ✭✭✭✭A Dub in Glasgo

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,280 ✭✭✭✭A Dub in Glasgo

Jelle, the reason why nobody will pay back a penny of those 'loans' or anyone will ask for them is the fact that they were staff wages and salaries. That is the crux of the Big Tax Case. Tax evasion was (is) endemic at Rangers and the club should be utterly ashamed of its actions.

G'man Billy.

Just blew apart Rangers defense of the EBT scheme in public, although i doubt that defence was going to stand up anyway.

Interesting that he claims the staff were told tax had been paid, very very naughty. Have Rangers also defrauded their own staff??

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 10,869 Mod ✭✭✭✭PauloMN

bobmalooka wrote: »
    G'man Billy.

Just blew apart Rangers defense of the EBT scheme in public, although i doubt that defence was going to stand up anyway.

Interesting that he claims the staff were told tax had been paid, very very naughty. Have Rangers also defrauded their own staff??

That whole "I was told my tax was being paid" thing is bollocks anyway. It's up to every individual to ensure that their personal taxes are all in order. Professional footballers are the same as everybody else in that regard.

Dont ever say that the SPL dont do you any favours!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/18240543
    The Scottish Premier League has granted Rangers "a period of grace" after the club missed the deadline for filing financial documents.

The book should have been thrown at ye today

• Advertisement

CVA wont be offered until tomorrow, they couldnt even hit their very loose "Friday or Monday" deadline

Advertisement