Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Irish rail revenue protection

• 06-12-2007 12:00pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 285 ✭✭

Hi

Does anyone know why Irish rail keep posting there revenue protection team at Carlow Station? Its driving us commuters mad!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,681 ✭✭✭✭P_1

Don't know but they've developed an annoying habit of staking out Balbriggan station when it's lashing rain resulting in many of us having to stand in the rain and q for a good few unnesecary minutes.:mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,025 ✭✭✭Ham'nd'egger

fitzyshea wrote: »
    Hi

Does anyone know why Irish rail keep posting there revenue protection team at Carlow Station? Its driving us commuters mad!

Maybe there is a lot of fare dodgers in Carlow and Balbriggan?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,588 ✭✭✭Bluetonic

pithater1 wrote: »
    Don't know but they've developed an annoying habit of staking out Balbriggan station when it's lashing rain resulting in many of us having to stand in the rain and q for a good few unnesecary minutes.:mad:
    Save time and walk 'back tracks'. ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 285 ✭✭fitzyshea

Hamndegger wrote: »
    Maybe there is a lot of fare dodgers in Carlow and Balbriggan?

Must be!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78,494 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Balbriggan is the edge of the Dublin fare zone and some people might try shenanigans. I don't know about Carlow.

I imagine they look for places where there is a history of evasion.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,681 ✭✭✭✭P_1

Victor wrote: »
    Balbriggan is the edge of the Dublin fare zone and some people might try shenanigans. I don't know about Carlow.

I imagine they look for places where there is a history of evasion.

Possibly, there is talk of exit validation coming to Balbriggan. What a joy that'll make the wet evenings. :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41 TommyShannon

pithater1 wrote: »
    Possibly, there is talk of exit validation coming to Balbriggan. What a joy that'll make the wet evenings. :rolleyes:

Might speed up the exit from the station if there's enough machines provided.

I've no problem with exit validation at commuter stations. I do have a serious problem with them at intercity termini, it's a disgrace struggling with bags at Connolly after getting off the train from Sligo and having to search for a ticket and then get the bags through the turnstyle.

This carry on of having machines on for both exiting and entering the platform is stupid, I put my ticket into a machine last week only to discover that a twat on the other side of the machine put his ticket in aswell. This meant I had to go up to the inspector to get out of the station.

I tell ya you wouldn't have that crap in London, no validating machines in the main termini and one set of turnstyles for entry and another for exit in Underground stations, proper order!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,107 ✭✭✭John R

This carry on of having machines on for both exiting and entering the platform is stupid, I put my ticket into a machine last week only to discover that a twat on the other side of the machine put his ticket in aswell. This meant I had to go up to the inspector to get out of the station.

That situation is incredibly dim, the main reason they do that is there is not enough room at the end of P4 for several gates in each direction.

The old commuter entrance needs to be re-opened to take pressure off the main concourse and to shorten the walk for people entering Connolly from the north. It was only closed so they could funnel everyone through the refurbished concourse and LUAS stop.
    I tell ya you wouldn't have that crap in London, no validating machines in the main termini and one set of turnstyles for entry and another for exit in Underground stations, proper order!!

Unfortunately the muppets running some of the TOCs over there have started installing gates at mainline termini as well now, Paddington has had them for a while on some of the intercity platforms.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 285 ✭✭fitzyshea

I thought exit validation was coming to Heuston? They moved the railings a few months ago in preparation for this i thought? Anyone know if this is the case?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41 TommyShannon

John R wrote: »

The old commuter entrance needs to be re-opened to take pressure off the main concourse and to shorten the walk for people entering Connolly from the north. It was only closed so they could funnel everyone through the refurbished concourse and LUAS stop.

Agreed it's a hell of a walk from Summerhill direction to platform 6/7 at Connolly.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,350 ✭✭✭WexCan

John R wrote: »
    Unfortunately the muppets running some of the TOCs over there have started installing gates at mainline termini as well now, Paddington has had them for a while on some of the intercity platforms.

Same in Victoria, downright hassle a lot of the time.

Entry/exit machines on the tube are generally well planned though.

Advertisement