Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Door latch/interlock broken

Options
  • 21-03-2012 4:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 880 ✭✭✭

I've asked this on DIY but maybe woodwork/carpentry is a better forum ...

We have a pair of very nice oak internal double doors between kitchen and dining room.
    There are two latches (perhaps not the correct term) on the top and bottom of one half of the double door arrangement which lock that door down so that it is pinned in place to the saddleboard (bottom) and the upper door frame/jambe on top.
    A day or so ago I botched trying to close the top latch/pin and I heard a snap.
    Since then it seems like that latch won't engage.

2 questions.
    1 - Is the piece easy to replace in terms of hardware wholesale stock(see attached photo)
    Note - the attached photo is in landscape orientation and really ought to be in portrait ...
    2. Is it a tricky job for a DIY inclined person or best left to a carpenter who is used to dealing with internal doors and fittings, etc ?

-ifc

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,533 ✭✭✭the keen edge

That item of ironmongery is called a flush bolt, and the problem you are having is common issue with some particular brands (I know basta's offering gives trouble).

Simple to replace; first remove the two screws then open the door engage the bolt into the locked position, grasp the bolt and gently pull the entire unit towards yourself taking care not to splinter the surround timber (shouldn;t be an issue; judging by the photo there is a bit freedom surrounding the facing plate.)

You're local hardware should even replace them without charge, you've probably used them only once or twice and as I said these are a problematic item.

• Registered Users Posts: 880 ✭✭✭ifconfig

Many thanks for this.
    I've successfully removed the broken flush bolt assembly (easy and lots of clearance as you mentioned).
    I'm guessing one of the hardware wholesalers like Chadwicks or Heitons will have them in stock.

Sorry for taking so long to get back to you with my thanks/appreciation, etc.

--ifc

Advertisement