Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Please suggest a Distro with support for broadcom Wifi cards as standard

Options
  • 30-08-2015 12:28am
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,279 ✭✭✭

Hi All,

Recently played around with Linux mint and ended up uninstalling it after a bit because getting my wifi card to work was an enormous pain in the nads. I am currently using puppy linux-which I like. But I would like to use the linux laptop for simple softtware development and puppy linux has its own issues there (apt-get doesn't work mainly). I like puppy but it pushes you almost back to a Windows type installation experience.

Can anyone suggest a more 'Debiany' distro with support for B43 wireless cards as standard? I am pretty sure that puppy is using a driver called b43 by Rafael Milecki.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,969 ✭✭✭✭syklops

kidneyfan wrote: »
    Hi All,

Recently played around with Linux mint and ended up uninstalling it after a bit because getting my wifi card to work was an enormous pain in the nads. I am currently using puppy linux-which I like. But I would like to use the linux laptop for simple softtware development and puppy linux has its own issues there (apt-get doesn't work mainly). I like puppy but it pushes you almost back to a Windows type installation experience.

Can anyone suggest a more 'Debiany' distro with support for B43 wireless cards as standard? I am pretty sure that puppy is using a driver called b43 by Rafael Milecki.

If apt-get doesnt work, then thats half your problem right there. You want a debiany distro, how about Debian?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭PrzemoF

Hi All,

Recently played around with Linux mint and ended up uninstalling it after a bit because getting my wifi card to work was an enormous pain in the nads.[..]

You were doing it wrong... Ask if you need help (identify hardware -> pick driver -> install driver -> works! [*])

[*] Unless you have an odd one that is not supported! 8-)

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 37,485 Mod ✭✭✭✭Khannie

I also had pain recently with a B43 card and mint, though ubuntu 12.04 LTS worked out of the box.

How to install b43 on Fedora

I've used thisin the past to get the B43 working.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,392 ✭✭✭AnCatDubh

Some stuff here that may be useful for you.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,279 ✭✭✭kidneyfan

Many thanks guys. I will report back.

Many thanks guys. I will report back.

Hopefully you will report back, via Linux - wirelessly.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,602 ✭✭✭200motels

Manjaro Linux usually picks up the wireless card, I installed it today on a 13 year old laptop for a friend and the wireless card is the same as above. I have to say Manjaro is excellent, I think it's based on Arch Linux if I'm not mistaken.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,253 ✭✭✭PropJoe10

200motels wrote: »
    Manjaro Linux usually picks up the wireless card, I installed it today on a 13 year old laptop for a friend and the wireless card is the same as above. I have to say Manjaro is excellent, I think it's based on Arch Linux if I'm not mistaken.

It is indeed. Its based on Arch, but they seem to have their own update cycle - they push out update packs about once a week, compared to Arch which updates all the time. Its a very stable and nice distro to use. Highly recommended.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,373 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

200motels wrote: »
    Manjaro Linux usually picks up the wireless card, I installed it today on a 13 year old laptop for a friend and the wireless card is the same as above.
    What laptop was this?

And excuse my ignorance but can this be ran from a USB key to test it first? I know previous ones I tried could be ran without installing to the HD, not sure if this is standard..

But I was also wondering if this would be equivalent to a full install.

i.e. if I stick the USB key in and run it and wireless does not work straight away is it definitely not going to work right away if it was fully installed on the HD too?

• Advertisement
Advertisement