Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2014 Cooking Club Week 1: Chicken Satay Skewers, Peanut Sauce & Noodles

Options
  • 10-01-2014 1:45am
    Registered Users Posts: 606 ✭✭✭

Here's week 1 of this year's Cooking Club, I'm looking forward to all your recipes during 2014 :)

Chicken Satay Skewers, Peanut Sauce & Noodles
    (Serves 4 hungry adults)

Marinade:
    3 tbsp. soy sauce
    3 tbsp. sesame oil
    2 cloves garlic, minced
    Pinch chilli flakes

Skewers:
    4 chicken breasts cut into approx. 3 inch pieces
    1 red pepper, diced
    6 button mushrooms, halved
    Honey

Peanut sauce:

1 red chilli
    Thumb sized piece of ginger, finely grated
    Bunch of coriander
    1 tsp soy sauce
    1 small clove garlic, minced
    Juice of 1 lime
    Approx. 4/5 good heaped tbsp. peanut butter (to taste)
    Approx. half a tin of full-fat coconut milk (to taste)

Spicy noodles:
    2 packs of straight-to-wok noodles
    Juice of 1 lime
    1 red chilli, finely sliced
    Small bunch of coriander, finely chopped
    75g bag cashew nuts
    1 tbsp. soy sauce

1) Soak bamboo skewers in a dish of cold water, if needs be use a plate to keep them submerged.

2) Mix together the marinade ingredients in a bowl. Cut the chicken breasts into pieces of about 3 inches each, add to the marinade bowl and make sure all the chicken is covered. Turn your oven grill on to a nice high heat.

3) Now for the peanut sauce. In your food processor/blender, add the chilli, grated ginger, coriander, garlic, soy and lime juice. Blitz. Then add some of peanut butter and the coconut milk and blitz again – The quantities of peanut butter and coconut are a bit of a guideline as some people like more peanut butter and some like a little more creaminess from the coconut milk, so keep a spoon handy and adjust according to your own tastes! (The full fat coconut milk is thicker so if you prefer low fat use less than half a tin).

4951a78a-6798-487a-a0c4-4061628d2579.jpg

3) Thread the chicken, peppers and mushrooms onto the skewers. Thread the chicken on to the skewer in a “C” shape. Season and drizzle with honey before putting under the grill, turning occasionally, for about 16-20 minutes, or until the chicken has cooked through.

0239324d-5e0f-4c50-81e6-5cfcb1f18c04.jpg

4) Slice the chilli, finely chop the coriander, juice the lime & give the cashew nuts a quick smash in a pestle & mortar. Warm through the noodles in a wok as per the instructions on the pack, and at the very end stir in the other ingredients.

5) Serve up the sauce in a bowl and the noodles & chicken on platters in the middle of the table, so everyone can help themselves!

5030dcfe-64de-46fc-abf4-54e7d589fe90.jpg

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,779 ✭✭✭snowgal

Yum yum! Bar the mushrooms I shall try this for sure!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,655 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

Looks great! I'll make this when the new year poverty abates :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

Mmmm, love Satay, wil be trying this.

One question - would it be ok without the Chili? my wife is allergic to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,206 ✭✭✭jordata

Thanks GT. I have been really looking forward to CookingClub kicking off again for 2014 and this looks like a great start. I love satay!

• Registered Users Posts: 606 ✭✭✭GrahamThomas

Mmmm, love Satay, wil be trying this.

One question - would it be ok without the Chili? my wife is allergic to it.

Hi Baldy,

Absolutely, there'd still be plenty of flavour in there without any chilli

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,858 ✭✭✭homemadecider

Great start to 2014, thanks OP! This looks delicious and I will definitely give it a go.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,276 ✭✭✭Cheshire Cat

Looks great - I love Satay!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,004 ✭✭✭Animord

Looks great, and nice photos.

Having this tonight, all ready to go, just need to assemble the skewers and cook after the football.

Lovely, will stick up pics later or tomorrow.

Here we go.

I must have really large thumbs because the sauce was way gingery and that made it a bit too strong and hot (even with no chilli in it!).

I ended up putting in the whole tin of coconut milk, but had no more peanut butter left.

Ah well, I'll freeze the remaining sauce, get more coconut and peanut butter and re-make.

Enjoyed the skewers and noodles a lot though, thanks.

288381.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 606 ✭✭✭GrahamThomas

Sorry to hear the sauce didn't quite work out for you Baldy.

Thanks for trying it out, looks delicious!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,673 ✭✭✭juke

Big success here. Not a noodle fan, so I skipped them. Oh, and I left out mushrooms, as they are evil :)

Baldy - I halved the amount ginger, as my OH isn't a fan. Really tasty. 3 portions of the sauce now in the freezer. I will definitely make this again.

5Za7pS_thumb.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭cookie75

Looks beautiful looking forward to trying this

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 7,382 Mod ✭✭✭✭pleasant Co.

Gonna get on this now, always interested in trying other peoples satay variations

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭amklo

Looks fab and very comforting...might just have to try this weekend!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,673 ✭✭✭juke

Just made up a new batch of satay sauce - I let it set in ice cube trays and store the cubes in a bag at the bottom of the freezer - useful when I need sauce in a hurry.

Goes really well with bbq chicken wings.

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭Roald Dahl

We has these tonight, GrahamThomas. Very nice. We had enough for a skewer each.

CC-2014-01-Skewers-Satay-Noodles.jpg

We both love mushrooms, but didn't have any, so we used onion instead. Oh, and Quorn instead of chicken. Sorry about that. :pac:

Advertisement