Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ubuntu Dual boot update win8.1 to win10

Options
  • 29-07-2015 10:59am
    Registered Users Posts: 760 ✭✭✭

I have got a laptop (UFEI) which dual boots win 8.1 and Ubuntu .Now I hardly boot into windows but I mentor at a coder dojo and most kids have windows so it handy to have .Has anyone up dated a similar set up to windows 10 .Will over it write the boot loader?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 760 ✭✭✭mach1982

Any one ???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭excollier

It probably will. If you download SuperGrub burn it to cd or usb then you will be able to boot from it and boot back into Ubuntu after Win 10 has taken over the boot process. From that you can then re install grub from running Ubuntu and all should be right again.
    I have successfully done this on a non uefi computer a few times so it's worth a shot.
    Google SuperGrub or Rescatux for more detailed info

• Registered Users Posts: 760 ✭✭✭mach1982

Thanks for the replay , think I have Rescatux some where , got with Linux format

• Registered Users Posts: 10 gardeninghobby

I installed Win10 in the last few days and it removed the grub2 bootloader. I freed up space on the windows partition and then reinstalled mint 17.2. Now I can happily dual boot again.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,999 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

I installed Win10 in the last few days and it removed the grub2 bootloader. I freed up space on the windows partition and then reinstalled mint 17.2. Now I can happily dual boot again.

Why not just reinstall Grub?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10 gardeninghobby

Good point. Reinstalling grub is the easier option. In my case, upgrading from win 8.1 to 10 didn't go smoothly. I got some error messages and decided to download a a new iso of win 10. As part of the reinstall, I decided to format the hard disk and start afresh. Reinstalling mint, I noticed the installation disk didn't recognise win 10 so i had to free space on the win partition and then use the mint intall to create ext4 and swap. All good now.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 1,334 Mod ✭✭✭✭croo

I have read posts online that the linux partitions had disappeared after the update to windows 10. It might be prudent to take note of the disk partitions... just in case. If the worst happens you might be able to recreate (or redefine might be more accurate) the partition.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭FSL

Hard drives are not that expensive, why not buy another drive and clone your existing one. You can then upgrade the clone to 10. test out anything you want and if it screws up just go back to your original drive.

• Registered Users Posts: 34 Philburns

I normally boot to a Ubuntu USB then run boot-repair

Advertisement