Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Galway Heroin Problem

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,387 ✭✭✭inisboffin

Lapin wrote: »

How about providing a place to dispose of junkies instead?

Wow. Pretty disgusting sentiment.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,973 ✭✭✭happyoutscan

inisboffin wrote: »

I think this was more of a sarcastic response to - what I think anyway - was a ridiculous post.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,711 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

I think this was more of a sarcastic response to - what I think anyway - was a ridiculous post.

Sharps disposal containers are part of the harm reduction strategy in some parts of the world. They work.

Ok, fair enough but it doesn't read like that to me. And I don't think the idea of safe needle exchanges or disposal sites is ridiculous - a lot of places have them.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,359 ✭✭✭stampydmonkey

Where did you get this statistic? I'm kind of surprised that it's been children (multiple?) getting nicked on the Luas and Dart. I would have assumed that kids are way more likely to come in contact with used needles in places like waste grounds etc when playing. And was it only kids that got 'nicked' by needles on public transport, or a mix of adults too?

heres another case
    http://www.thejournal.ie/dart-syringe-1226513-Dec2013/

And an adult fyi..
    http://www.thestar.ie/star/mums-ordeal-after-she-is-pricked-by-syringe-in-park-50382/

I dont know why u would assume only waste ground? I have seen needles all over town (dublin) and around public benches.

• Advertisement

Sharps disposal containers are part of the harm reduction strategy in some parts of the world. They work.

Perhaps in other parts of the world. However I find it difficult to believe that today's typical Irish heroin user will dispose of their used equipment in these containers when they are currently finding it difficult to dispose of their used equipment in - for example - the nearest public waste bin?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,625 ✭✭✭AngryHippie

There are a few bigots on here that could do with some education on what they are waffling on about.
    Try "chasing the scream" as a starting point.
    or maybe spend an afternoon volunteering in a center for the poor wrecks that they so casually talk about disposing of.
    There is a better way. Our society is to caught up in the spin and bullshit that they have been fed since primary school to open their eyes and see it.

Prohibition does not work

They don't really. Ever work in a needle exchange. They never bring the used needles back.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,605 ✭✭✭gctest50

..........dispose of their used equipment in - for example - the nearest public waste bin?

daft idea ffs - then the lads cleaning out the bins could get needle sticks

• Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭db97

every part of ireland is full of heroin addiction even small towns.. I can almost guarentee that in another few years even rural villages will be destroyed as they lack education about drugs and see heroin as just another thing to abuse without realising the real dangers and severe physical addiction that will follow.. I dont think methadone programmes are the answer either as methadone is just as bad if not worse then heroin its just a synthetic opiod that doctors are giving for free too people that might not even want to quit but just looking to be more stoned.. I think the key too overcoming the heroin problem in ireland is educating kids showing the real dangers of it and the guarenteed hellish lifestyle that comes with addiction so yea I think more education because the sad fact is alot of people will be offered drugs from an early age.

• Advertisement

gctest50 wrote: »
    daft idea ffs - then the lads cleaning out the bins could get needle sticks

I didn't mean they should do this. I was making the point that if they currently do not dispose of their needles - for example in a bin - then they are unlikely to actually dispose of them in any container.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,184 ✭✭✭✭Lapin

I didn't mean disposing people in the Corrib if that's what you're thinking.

But we're not going to solve a drug problem by installing needle drop boxes around town.
    There are a few bigots on here that could do with some education on what they are waffling on about.
    Try "chasing the scream" as a starting point.
    or maybe spend an afternoon volunteering in a center for the poor wrecks that they so casually talk about disposing of.
    There is a better way. Our society is to caught up in the spin and bullshit that they have been fed since primary school to open their eyes and see it.

Prohibition does not work

Try living with one of these 'poor wrecks' and you won't have to spend an afternoon volunteering at a centre to see how their addiction screws with the lives of everyone around them.

I didn't mean disposing people in the Corrib if that's what you're thinking.

But we're not going to solve a drug problem by installing needle drop boxes around town.

Try living with one of these 'poor wrecks' and you won't have to spend an afternoon volunteering at a centre to see how their addiction screws with the lives of everyone around them.

So what *did* you have in mind when you suggested disposing of them?

Addiction screws with more than the addict - agreed. Are you suggesting that no volunteer has ever been personally been affected by addiction themselves?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,605 ✭✭✭gctest50

you might help solve the used-needles-everywhere problem a little bit though

it'd be worth a try
    Posted by happyoutscan
    I didn't mean they should do this. I was making the point that if they currently do not dispose of their needles - for example in a bin - then they are unlikely to actually dispose of them in any container.

they "can't" carry their used needles/syringes in their pockets - if they get searched it could be seen as "going equipped" for holding up a shop etc

they "can't" throw them in a bin because the lads cleaning out the bins might get needle-sticks

there doesn't seem to be anywhere proper and nearby for them to put the used needles

• Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭badker

Is the heroin problem worse than the alcohol problem?

db97 wrote: »
    I think the key too overcoming the heroin problem in ireland is educating kids showing the real dangers of it and the guarenteed hellish lifestyle that comes with addiction so yea I think more education because the sad fact is alot of people will be offered drugs from an early age.

I think at this stage that has been proven not to work, I still remember our "education" about drugs, and the real dangers of it. When someone's life is falling apart, they generally don't worry too much about what Ms. Jackson told them in 2nd year, whether it's the bottle, the pipe or the needle, if they have access and exposure, they will reach for it to escape the reality they are stuck with.

Money better spent would be keeping the heroin users safe, and helping them turn their lives around so they can tackle the problems that landed them in the clutches of addiction in the first place, be they social, personal or psychological.
    The general public's understanding of addiction itself is very limited, as the DEA have continually funded research and evidence that supports the "war on drugs" as being the only way to tackle the problems of addiction in society. Rather than turning every child into an equally polarised bigot as some of the people on here by shouting drugs are bad at them, regulate the supply, control the environment and try and reduce the factors which cause it.
    What I am suggesting is taking them out of the public domain where they have options that don't involve getting judged, spat on, degraded or abused by anyone. Placed in an environment where compassion and care is shown, the majority will eventually manage their lives. Many do carry on using, either because of psychological issues, trauma or depression. Many will be able to get the help they need to recognize the root causes of their issues and deal with them, working towards putting their lives back together.

I'm sure they aren't easy to live with, they will lie, steal, and sell themselves to get another fix. What I am proposing is you make that fix available, in a controlled environment and prevent further self hatred by having to lie cheat and steal to satisfy their need.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,276 ✭✭✭✭Bobeagleburger

badker wrote: »
    Is the heroin problem worse than the alcohol problem?

Doubt it. I'd imagine alcohol destroys more lives than any other drug considering the number that consume it

• Registered Users Posts: 1,645 ✭✭✭Webbs

I'm sure they aren't easy to live with, they will lie, steal, and sell themselves to get another fix. What I am proposing is you make that fix available, in a controlled environment and prevent further self hatred by having to lie cheat and steal to satisfy their need.

A bit like the Swiss who have been successful in harm reduction using needle exchange policies and injection rooms. This has been a very successful policy as far as I can make out and is fully supported by Swiss Police

A lot of people talking here like the average user is a down on their luck type from a good background.

Of the ones I know of on it from one side of town, only one would fit that bill, a former friend of mine who I haven't spoke to in years.
    The rest are scumbags who are fit for nothing but a prison cell.
    They were scumbags before they got on it and that hasn't changed.

While this drug does catch the odd normal person, it by and large attracts the type of individual who would have been robbing houses and racking up convictions long before they decided to start doing it.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,276 ✭✭✭✭Bobeagleburger

Webbs wrote: »
    A bit like the Swiss who have been successful in harm reduction using needle exchange policies and injection rooms. This has been a very successful policy as far as I can make out and is fully supported by Swiss Police

Ireland isn't forward thinking like that unfortunately.

• Advertisement

A lot of people talking here like the average user is a down on their luck type from a good background.

Of the ones I know of on it from one side of town, only one would fit that bill, a former friend of mine who I haven't spoke to in years.
    The rest are scumbags who are fit for nothing but a prison cell.
    They were scumbags before they got on it and that hasn't changed.

While this drug does catch the odd normal person, it by and large attracts the type of individual who would have been robbing houses and racking up convictions long before they decided to start doing it.

And with good folk like yourself pi$$ing on them from above, why would they bother changing, sure only society would benefit and they've been looking down on them all their lives. Maybe thats not part of the problem. Maybe John Marks work at Merseyside and the Swiss government reforms were all figments of their collective imaginations. Maybe Portugal is in a state of denial, or maybe, just maybe, You are

Or maybe you are posting some ill-informed bile here because you like to have someone else to blame for it all.

Have a read. For your attitude alone, you are partly to blame.

And with good folk like yourself pi$$ing on them from above, why would they bother changing, sure only society would benefit and they've been looking down on them all their lives. Maybe thats not part of the problem. Maybe John Marks work at Merseyside and the Swiss government reforms were all figments of their collective imaginations. Maybe Portugal is in a state of denial, or maybe, just maybe, You are

Or maybe you are posting some ill-informed bile here because you like to have someone else to blame for it all.

Have a read. For your attitude alone, you are partly to blame.

Ohh ok.

It's my fault, how that happens I'm at a loss.
    I bet you're one of those types who would protest outside Dale Farm in England on behalf of the evicted travellers.. Oblivious to the fact if you ventured in there outside of that you'd likely be robbed of anything of value.

There's just certain things you won't change with kind words and a helping hand, a lot of the people using in Galway aren't nice people... Weren't before using and are even less now.
    But people like you who aren't in touch with reality think like to think you can bring love and happiness to anyone in life... Sadly that's not the case.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,361 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

I sense high horses being mounted...

While you are talking about being
    Oblivious to the fact

how about the fact that 95% of addicts in the merseyside program managed to hold down jobs, houses and live relatively normal lives.
    Aside from the fact that it is cheaper to provide them with what they need as addicts free of charge than the associated policing and incarceration for theft, possession and dealing.
    Aside from the fact that they have less severe and less frequent major healthcare problems that we are paying for treatment of anyway.
    Aside from the fact that as addicts buying on the black market they are putting money straight into the hands of organised criminal gangs, which we must then fund policing to control.
    Aside from the fact that crime levels (muggings, break ins, violent crime, street prostitution) have dropped in every region that has decriminalized and set up Heroin access programs.

Your are arguing in favor of maintaining the status quo because you dislike them as human entities, rather than looking at the facts that both the addicts and society benefit by going in a totally different direction.
    on behalf of the evicted travellers
    Why you would bring the traveller strawman into it we can only hazard a guess that either you are the kind of bigot that would have enjoyed cutting eyeholes in sheets around the middle of the last century, or that you have no relevant points to make, so you'd like to make the suggestion that I am too compassionate to minority groups to take away from the points that I do make. Either way, a fairly low behavior

Anytime you'd like to put some of the "facts" you've alluded to up here I'd be glad to see them, refute them and/or discuss/debate them with you.
    It's my fault, how that happens I'm at a loss.

Your attitude you convey in your posts - Intolerant, prejudiced, stereotyping, condescending and racist (Not that Travellers are a specific race, but they are an identfiable ethnic group and you have slurred them without posting any evidence)
    But people like you who aren't in touch with reality
    After 90 years of failed prohibition which you refuse to acknowledge, you are suggesting that I am not in touch with reality. delicious stuff there.

I'm not suggesting that it will all be sunshine and lollipops. People with mental illnesses, addiction problems, traumatic childhoods and tragedy in their lives will still have to cope with a certain amount of misery and hardship in their lives. What I am suggesting is that we can help them, while helping ourselves rather than setting them up in a perpetuating cycle of criminality which we then have to finance and which makes everyone's situation worse.:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 25,711 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

a lot of the people using in Galway aren't nice people... Weren't before using and are even less now.

Who gives a s*** whether they're nice people or not. They're still human beings.

There are quite a few bankers and politicians who aren't nice people either. That doesn't mean we look for ways of getting rid of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,955 ✭✭✭_Whimsical_

There's a report in the City Tribune today that heroin is being openly sold in Westside now. For everyone's sake, residents of Galway and addicts alike you'd think it'd be in the Guards interest to make tackling that an absolute priority. Regardless of your views on legalisation etc no good has ever come from letting heroin dealing take hold in an area.
    http://connachttribune.ie/residents-anger-as-heroin-addicts-score-at-open-drug-market-302/
    A number of locals made a complaint to Gardaí on Wednesday morning that a number of addicts were in the process of buying heroin from a dealer behind Westside Church.

However, Councillor Mike Cubbard said the residents were told there were no Gardaí available to deal with the situation.

“The lads who spotted this rang the Gardai straight away. The answer they got from the Gardai was ‘today is a busy day… everybody is up in court and there are no guards available to call out to you.

“It shows how bad it’s gotten now that they’re doing this in broad daylight beside a church at 11 in the morning… there is a huge frustration out there with the locals at the moment.”

• Registered Users Posts: 5,881 ✭✭✭Storm 10

It's happening all over this City saw a few guys in the Square acting like they were passing stuff but I kept away from them

Storm 10 wrote: »
    It's happening all over this City saw a few guys in the Square acting like they were passing stuff but I kept away from them

Yup. It's not just happening in one area. That's just what made a headline.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,955 ✭✭✭_Whimsical_

I suppose the headline was more about the guards getting a call about it and saying they were too busy to respond,obviously not thinking it was a priority. I hadn't realised it was widespread at this point or that people were selling it unashamedly on the street. If that's so it's a disaster, won't be long until someone in Galway pays a horrible price for letting this take hold.
    Are city councillors or politicians raising it as an issue? Or is the whole place just sitting back until we have a proper s**t storm on our hands?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭Fozzie Bear

I suppose the headline was more about the guards getting a call about it and saying they were too busy to respond, obviously not thinking it was a priority.

OR like it said in the article, the (badly resourced and under manned) Gardai responded to the phone caller;

"today is a busy day… everybody is up in court and there are no guards available to call out to you".

No mention there that the Gardai didn't think it was urgent or a priority. Rather that they did not have the man power to respond on the day in question. Its not like there are 40 Gardai sitting in Mill Street picking their noses all day.

Advertisement