Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Galway Heroin Problem

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,625 ✭✭✭AngryHippie

A lot of people talking here like the average user is a down on their luck type from a good background.

Of the ones I know of on it from one side of town, only one would fit that bill, a former friend of mine who I haven't spoke to in years.
    The rest are scumbags who are fit for nothing but a prison cell.
    They were scumbags before they got on it and that hasn't changed.

While this drug does catch the odd normal person, it by and large attracts the type of individual who would have been robbing houses and racking up convictions long before they decided to start doing it.

And with good folk like yourself pi$$ing on them from above, why would they bother changing, sure only society would benefit and they've been looking down on them all their lives. Maybe thats not part of the problem. Maybe John Marks work at Merseyside and the Swiss government reforms were all figments of their collective imaginations. Maybe Portugal is in a state of denial, or maybe, just maybe, You are

Or maybe you are posting some ill-informed bile here because you like to have someone else to blame for it all.

Have a read. For your attitude alone, you are partly to blame.

And with good folk like yourself pi$$ing on them from above, why would they bother changing, sure only society would benefit and they've been looking down on them all their lives. Maybe thats not part of the problem. Maybe John Marks work at Merseyside and the Swiss government reforms were all figments of their collective imaginations. Maybe Portugal is in a state of denial, or maybe, just maybe, You are

Or maybe you are posting some ill-informed bile here because you like to have someone else to blame for it all.

Have a read. For your attitude alone, you are partly to blame.

Ohh ok.

It's my fault, how that happens I'm at a loss.
    I bet you're one of those types who would protest outside Dale Farm in England on behalf of the evicted travellers.. Oblivious to the fact if you ventured in there outside of that you'd likely be robbed of anything of value.

There's just certain things you won't change with kind words and a helping hand, a lot of the people using in Galway aren't nice people... Weren't before using and are even less now.
    But people like you who aren't in touch with reality think like to think you can bring love and happiness to anyone in life... Sadly that's not the case.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,655 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

I sense high horses being mounted...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,625 ✭✭✭AngryHippie

While you are talking about being
    Oblivious to the fact

how about the fact that 95% of addicts in the merseyside program managed to hold down jobs, houses and live relatively normal lives.
    Aside from the fact that it is cheaper to provide them with what they need as addicts free of charge than the associated policing and incarceration for theft, possession and dealing.
    Aside from the fact that they have less severe and less frequent major healthcare problems that we are paying for treatment of anyway.
    Aside from the fact that as addicts buying on the black market they are putting money straight into the hands of organised criminal gangs, which we must then fund policing to control.
    Aside from the fact that crime levels (muggings, break ins, violent crime, street prostitution) have dropped in every region that has decriminalized and set up Heroin access programs.

Your are arguing in favor of maintaining the status quo because you dislike them as human entities, rather than looking at the facts that both the addicts and society benefit by going in a totally different direction.
    on behalf of the evicted travellers
    Why you would bring the traveller strawman into it we can only hazard a guess that either you are the kind of bigot that would have enjoyed cutting eyeholes in sheets around the middle of the last century, or that you have no relevant points to make, so you'd like to make the suggestion that I am too compassionate to minority groups to take away from the points that I do make. Either way, a fairly low behavior

Anytime you'd like to put some of the "facts" you've alluded to up here I'd be glad to see them, refute them and/or discuss/debate them with you.
    It's my fault, how that happens I'm at a loss.

Your attitude you convey in your posts - Intolerant, prejudiced, stereotyping, condescending and racist (Not that Travellers are a specific race, but they are an identfiable ethnic group and you have slurred them without posting any evidence)
    But people like you who aren't in touch with reality
    After 90 years of failed prohibition which you refuse to acknowledge, you are suggesting that I am not in touch with reality. delicious stuff there.

I'm not suggesting that it will all be sunshine and lollipops. People with mental illnesses, addiction problems, traumatic childhoods and tragedy in their lives will still have to cope with a certain amount of misery and hardship in their lives. What I am suggesting is that we can help them, while helping ourselves rather than setting them up in a perpetuating cycle of criminality which we then have to finance and which makes everyone's situation worse.:rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,084 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

a lot of the people using in Galway aren't nice people... Weren't before using and are even less now.

Who gives a s*** whether they're nice people or not. They're still human beings.

There are quite a few bankers and politicians who aren't nice people either. That doesn't mean we look for ways of getting rid of them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,958 ✭✭✭_Whimsical_

There's a report in the City Tribune today that heroin is being openly sold in Westside now. For everyone's sake, residents of Galway and addicts alike you'd think it'd be in the Guards interest to make tackling that an absolute priority. Regardless of your views on legalisation etc no good has ever come from letting heroin dealing take hold in an area.
    http://connachttribune.ie/residents-anger-as-heroin-addicts-score-at-open-drug-market-302/
    A number of locals made a complaint to Gardaí on Wednesday morning that a number of addicts were in the process of buying heroin from a dealer behind Westside Church.

However, Councillor Mike Cubbard said the residents were told there were no Gardaí available to deal with the situation.

“The lads who spotted this rang the Gardai straight away. The answer they got from the Gardai was ‘today is a busy day… everybody is up in court and there are no guards available to call out to you.

“It shows how bad it’s gotten now that they’re doing this in broad daylight beside a church at 11 in the morning… there is a huge frustration out there with the locals at the moment.”

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,970 ✭✭✭Storm 10

It's happening all over this City saw a few guys in the Square acting like they were passing stuff but I kept away from them

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,393 ✭✭✭inisboffin

Storm 10 wrote: »
    It's happening all over this City saw a few guys in the Square acting like they were passing stuff but I kept away from them

Yup. It's not just happening in one area. That's just what made a headline.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,958 ✭✭✭_Whimsical_

I suppose the headline was more about the guards getting a call about it and saying they were too busy to respond,obviously not thinking it was a priority. I hadn't realised it was widespread at this point or that people were selling it unashamedly on the street. If that's so it's a disaster, won't be long until someone in Galway pays a horrible price for letting this take hold.
    Are city councillors or politicians raising it as an issue? Or is the whole place just sitting back until we have a proper s**t storm on our hands?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭Fozzie Bear

I suppose the headline was more about the guards getting a call about it and saying they were too busy to respond, obviously not thinking it was a priority.

OR like it said in the article, the (badly resourced and under manned) Gardai responded to the phone caller;

"today is a busy day… everybody is up in court and there are no guards available to call out to you".

No mention there that the Gardai didn't think it was urgent or a priority. Rather that they did not have the man power to respond on the day in question. Its not like there are 40 Gardai sitting in Mill Street picking their noses all day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭Adamantium

I'm convinced the OP made this thread for this intention:

Advertisement