Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

2004 Honda civic exhaust connection to manifold seems to be broken

Options
  • 25-05-2015 8:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,615 ✭✭✭

Hey, my 2004 Honda civic suddenly started to sound like thunder on the way home. I pulled in and it looks like the exhaust has come loose from the manifold.

I'm no mechanic but from what I can gather it shouldn't look like this.

I can't find any info on how its supposed to be connected, this diagram is the clearest I've found.

Anyone know how bad this is? Please don't say the whole section needs to be replaced.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 713 ✭✭✭islanderre

I've a 2001 Civic 5 door...... looks like the bolt connecting the two pieces has rotted away..... should be a simpleish job to get he two pieces boted back together provided the material in the top piece is still of sufficient strength.

A tidy mechanic / bodyshop should sort it...... Calbro exhausts on the Tuam Road, Galway city are usually quite good in my experience

• Registered Users Posts: 2,615 ✭✭✭Panda

Thanks for your reply, it looks badly rusted all right.
    Any pictures I've seen seem to show 2 large bolts with springs holding it in place and a gasket in between, so that may be what is missing. The gasket also seems to be in need of replacement.

Would you happen to know if its ok to drive the car in this condition? Its actually pretty close to Calbro, its a lot nearer to western motors and they're part honda dealers.

I would only drive the car to an exhaust outfit.... Leaking exhaust won't do you or the car any favours.....

Its Bradleys on the Dublin road that are the Honda dealers...... They like to charge big €€€€ from my experience...... Western motors are vw and seat main dealers and Merc parts......

Try calbro or any other exhaust crowd......

Sorry, not western motors, higgins motorpark. They're dealers for Honda now as well but I'm sure they would be pricey as well.

Thanks for the advice, I'll get over to them tomorrow. Hopefully it won't be too big a job.

Got it sorted today for 80 but now the engine light is on, where it wasn't before. I guess a sensor in the exhaust picked it up something it didn't like.

I'm probably being a bit too hopeful but will this clear itself after some time or does it have to get a diagnostic done now as well?

• Advertisement

The Lambda sensor is just below where you had repaired...... some crap probably fell on it...... might we worthwhile bringing it to a garage and have it removed and blown out.

Would also be worthwhile making sure the electrical connections were not disturbed during the work.

Lambda sensor needed for the correct fueling hence emissions so good to keep it working right.

Is the Civic a UK import?????

Thanks again, the engine light went off by itself the next time I started it and hasn't come back since but I had it checked anyway. All good now.

Advertisement