Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dj courses in Dublin

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 ksri

I was looking into this last year. Was originally going to go with the music factory but 1000 was too expensive. A friend recommended the Rap Ireland DJ School which was much cheaper and turned out to be great. Classes were small and they helped with the more technical stuff, scratching techniques etc (i already knew how to mix). You'll find them on Facebook or RapIreland.com. I've heard of a few others but not sure how good they are.

A good starting point anyway.. Once you know the basics it's all down to practice and dedication.

• Registered Users Posts: 668 ✭✭✭brianc27

i dunno, are dj courses not a bit of a cop out? why would someone want to be taught how to dj? the fun in it is teaching yourself, i dont know anyone who has ever been taught how to dj and some of the lads i know are brilliant dj's, teaching yourself to match 2 beats in time and progressing from there is great, it doesn't take that long to actually figure out how to match 2 beats, the rest of it is knowing your music and knowing whens good to mix in/out of a track and this is something imo that can't be taught to people.

the only thing i can think of that you could possibly learn from a dj course would be scratching techniques.

when i think of dj courses i think of some fella showing you how to large it up for the crowd, like they did on that channel 4 programme 'faking it' when they had some bird become a dj.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,528 ✭✭✭copeyhagen

yeh i agree, just put the effort into learning and you will learn it.

for the mixing aspect, a set of 1210s and a bunch of vinyl and if ur heart / interests are in the right place u will pick it up.

as for scratching? no idea, never been any good at it to be honest.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

Best advice I could give you get get a mate or 2 or 3 and all practice together, trying different things, discussing and teaching each other new stuff, and critiquing your mixes as well. Oh and get into the habit of recording as much as you can.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

I'd really love to attend one of these courses just so I could see how they pad out a 2 minute lesson (find the first beat on track A and find the first beat B, and match) into a 12 week or longer course?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,373 ✭✭✭Executive Steve

11067_102733229746935_100000307762245_67502_6223475_n.jpg

This looks legit!

• Registered Users Posts: 412 ✭✭Harveey

Man check out Bray Institute for Education !!
    I went there last year and it was brilliant! unfortunatly i was forced to drop out for financial reasons but its a great course i learned so much from it! the over mixing beatmatching scratching advanced scratching the business side of bein a dj, doing up a bio, a start to producing your own music, sound engineering aswell as setting up nights for you to dj at throughout the year aswell as a trip abroad to play in a diff country, i got the chance to go to poland and dj over there.
    The tutors are real helpful and there dj's themselves so they always want to see more people progressing with their skills. DJ Tu:Ki teahes ye about scratching and that and what a more perfect way to learn than a irish and world dmc champion. Sunil sharpe is another tutor and he was a great help for me he showed me how to beatmatch properly, prepare my sets that im gonna play. Barry Dempsey a big promoter and producer around dublin was helping me with setin up my own nights, label company, getting my music out there.
    I really thinkou should check this course out, late applications are accepted until wednesday the 15th so you should look in to it ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Benny Smiles

Secret School of Sound

I'm partial as I work there, but I know the DJ course is well thought out, it's taught by seriously talented DJ and producer Aaron Costello (aka Subsignal), classes are 2 people max, you get to learn on the sound system in the Twisted Pepper, and it's only €300 for 5 weeks.

Advertisement